daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #37201
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

I''m not waiting for a decision on something that is obvious.

It's an antenna. Simple as that. It was nothing but an antenna wrapped in a radome enclosure.
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #37202
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
I have ruled it an antenna. Now what?

Remember, not everyone agrees with the self appointed body whose opinion is often cited.

There are tons of ways of measuring and classifying structures. The best way to avoid pointless bickering is to acknowledge that everyone looks at it differently. As long as we all are up front about with metric or methodology is being discussed, discussion is productive. There is no need to prove any method as superior. Both roof height and structural height are interesting discussion topics. The same goes for antenna height.

There is no "official" height. No club of pundits holds any authority over the measurement of buildings. Instead, all they can offer is the ctbuh opinion on height.
To each its own .
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #37203
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Seriously?? Sounds like if you're shifting forum members to you-tube, you want to make a dollar,, don't think this forum should bve used 4 that..

Last edited by bigreach; September 17th, 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: mistake
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #37204
NateArchibald
Empire State of Mind

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
Some ppl, try to use a forum like this,, to lead others to a page,, where they can make a buck. I know You-tube will pay a user if they have a million hits,, Is it just me or is THIS the wrong forum to do it?? I just wish ppl wouldn't use a major tragedy like 9-11-01, to try to benefit themselves (and uping there subscribers or there staus on you-tube) and make a buck.. I don't know if thats what You're up to NYBOY75 but, It really hurts to see you wanting ppl to watch and then SUBSCRIBE,, you sure have promoted your you-tube channel multiple times on this site as well as SSP. Don't you think that's wrong?? Maybe it's just me,, I really think it's wrong, and I personally hope that's not what your doing.. Myself I'm so proud to be an American I would never try to benefit off such a strong and resorceful forum,, Like I said I LOVE AMERICA..
He contributes a lot to this forum and I'm sure he doesn't expect nothing in return. If people subscribe to him is because his videos are awesome.
NateArchibald no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #37205
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I''m not waiting for a decision on something that is obvious.

It's an antenna. Simple as that. It was nothing but an antenna wrapped in a radome enclosure.
i agree, if this was in a thread about a chinese building, there wouldn't be any discussion. but looks like ctbuh.org is not all that objective and they push the decission further and further. instead the height should have been changed long ago and this tower could have the status "topped out" already at 417m
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #37206
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
Some ppl, try to use a forum like this,, to lead others to a page,, where they can make a buck. I know You-tube will pay a user if they have a million hits,, Is it just me or is THIS the wrong forum to do it?? I just wish ppl wouldn't use a major tragedy like 9-11-01, to try to benefit themselves (and uping there subscribers or there staus on you-tube) and make a buck.. I don't know if thats what You're up to NYBOY75 but, It really hurts to see you wanting ppl to watch and then SUBSCRIBE,, you sure have promoted your you-tube channel multiple times on this site as well as SSP. Don't you think that's wrong?? Maybe it's just me,, I really think it's wrong, and I personally hope that's not what your doing.. Myself I'm so proud to be an American I would never try to benefit off such a strong and resorceful forum,, Like I said I LOVE AMERICA..
I kinda don't understand what you wish to achieve. NYBOY is a great contributor and this is not the first time you prey on other forumers. I have absolutely no doubt that he only wants us to have good updates. I like his videos and I think he has done nothing wrong
Old September 17th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #37207
AltiusAltiusAltius

Likes (Received): 53

awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
The "antenna' doesn't really look that bad, at least at night... i like it, of course the spire was better to most, not all, better then nothing
Old September 17th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #37208
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Whatever it's called it's a cheat.
When you see a building where something over a fifth of it's height is gained by a stick poking out of the top, what else can you say?
It's a shame because I like the building, and the city itself doesn't need to cheat like that.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #37209
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I 1000000 % agree with you
Old September 17th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #37210
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsnose View Post
Whatever it's called it's a cheat.
When you see a building where something over a fifth of it's height is gained by a stick poking out of the top, what else can you say?
It's a shame because I like the building, and the city itself doesn't need to cheat like that.
yes a spire on a flat roof doesn't feel right to be counted. if the building would at least build up to the spire and gradually gets thinner towards the top it makes more sense to count it. the old WTC did not need a spire to be impressive, so let's just call it antenna again, because that is what it is.
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #37211
Vito Corleone

Likes (Received): 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
If it meets the definition of an antenna, but doesn't meet the definition of a spire, it is an antenna, and these definitions are already now widely accessible to the public. Besides, iirc Vito Corleone from CTBUH said that the current design is being viewed as an antenna by them
Not quite true my friend. The CTBUH has not made a decision on whether to count the mast as a spire or not. It was only my opinion that the current design of the mast should not be included in the official height. And I will do everything in my power to make that happen.
Vito Corleone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #37212
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I'm sorry, my error

Btw I agree with you that the current design shouldn't be counted to the official height
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #37213
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 450

Things is, regardless of whether you count it or not, the building will physically be the same. It's irrelevant. Move on.
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #37214
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
yes a spire on a flat roof doesn't feel right to be counted. if the building would at least build up to the spire and gradually gets thinner towards the top it makes more sense to count it. the old WTC did not need a spire to be impressive, so let's just call it antenna again, because that is what it is.
Agree. If I put an antenna on top of my head, does that increase my height? Dwarfs would be delighted!
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #37215
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

CTBUH.org was just not clear enough, they should have changed the height to the current design like it happens with every building. if a design changes the height should be looked at and only "maybe the design will change again" cannot justify a different height. the current design is 417m with antenna, no enclosure. and counting it as a spire because of the beacon (if the beacon isn't cancelled) would be cheap too, because it does not make the antenna any more striking like an enclosing would do. if CTBUH.org stands to their standards and rules like it rules every building it should do so and not make an exception because the building is in new york and had a tragic history. objective height measurements after rules they had before, that is what should happen, no bending rules because it has a beacon or anything. i would of course love the 1WTC to be 541m tall, but not for that price...
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #37216
dunefreezer
Skyscraper Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 551

You know what, I like the antenna at night. But still.
dunefreezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #37217
mysteek_1976

Likes (Received): 0

what they have done to the top of this building is a tragedy. anyone having anything to do with it should be ashamed.
mysteek_1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #37218
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

From 3rd in the world to +-10th. The spire height matters...
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #37219
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead262 View Post
Yeah, but I would rather take 10th place, then cheat for 3rd.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #37220
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead262 View Post
it would be 14th right behind Jin Mao.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center