daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #37441
NewYorkSkyline117
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Morris County
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 243

We watched them lift it on Earthcam
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #37442
GeoDude
GeoDude
 
GeoDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 264
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
the beacon is a decorative addition..hopefully they count something at least. Question: Does anyone know HOW MANY more floors until the glass hits the first mechanical floor to install mechanical glass with louvres? thanks
find me one antenna this high that doesnt have a light on top! a beacon is not decorative, its just a form of lighting. all antennas have a light on top, its the law! (think about it, if what your saying about a beacon being decorative is true, then any building that has an antenna can just plop a "beacon" on top and suddenly become hundreds of feet taller. that's obviously not going to happen)

if the radome is not included on 1wtc (which it won't be), this is an antenna. the CTBUH will classify it as an antenna or risk losing all of its credibility [for making exceptions], and as the official governing body on this type of thing, anybody that thinks they will make an exception for 1wtc, is in major denial.

and in any case, it doesnt even matter! 1wtc is going to look amazing, and by pinnacle height, it will be the tallest. so just be happy with that.
__________________

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #37443
yankee fan for life
Registered User
 
yankee fan for life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn new york
Posts: 832
Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
In my opinion there is nothing architectural on a beacon. A beacon is just a light, but that is just my opinion
I meant the steel enclosure that forms around the beacon.
__________________
My heart beats for Brooklyn new york
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #37444
NewYorkSkyline117
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Morris County
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
find me one antenna this high that doesnt have a light on top! a beacon is not decorative, its just a form of lighting. all antennas have a light on top, its the law! (think about it, if what your saying about a beacon being decorative is true, then any building that has an antenna can just plop a "beacon" on top and suddenly become hundreds of feet taller. that's obviously not going to happen)

if the radome is not included on 1wtc (which it won't be), this is an antenna. the CTBUH will classify it as an antenna or risk losing all of its credibility [for making exceptions], and as the official governing body on this type of thing, anybody that thinks they will make an exception for 1wtc, is in major denial.

and in any case, it doesnt even matter! 1wtc is going to look amazing, and by pinnacle height, it will be the tallest. so just be happy with that.
Um, no this isn't any ordinary light on top of the antenna...have you looked at what it looks like? It's pretty huge. All other antennas have a red flashing light on top like the Empire State Building for airplanes. This beacon on One World Trade will be projecting a very powerful beam of light outwards like a lighthouse that will be seen for miles. I'm pretty sure that's decorative
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #37445
1Filipe1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 887
Likes (Received): 319

has the alst beam actually been installed or just lifted to the roof? i read the previous few pages and got confused lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #37446
GeoDude
GeoDude
 
GeoDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 264
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Um, no this isn't any ordinary light on top of the antenna...have you looked at what it looks like? It's pretty huge. All other antennas have a red flashing light on top like the Empire State Building for airplanes. This beacon on One World Trade will be projecting a very powerful beam of light outwards like a lighthouse that will be seen for miles. I'm pretty sure that's decorative
you keep telling yourself that
__________________

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #37447
NewYorkSkyline117
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Morris County
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 243

Seriously, hardly any buildings have beacons like this. There are no other buildings in NYC, maybe even the USA, that have a beacon...you're thinking of those red flashing lights on the tip of antennas/spires to alert airplanes

Major Difference



Little red light at the top


Last edited by NewYorkSkyline117; September 26th, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #37448
yankee fan for life
Registered User
 
yankee fan for life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn new york
Posts: 832
Likes (Received): 195

Well durst and the port port authority are confident about something, so their must be something that they know and that we don't about the status of the antenna.
__________________
My heart beats for Brooklyn new york
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #37449
NewYorkSkyline117
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Morris County
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 243

Never thought of it that way, good point
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #37450
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher
 
Uaarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Side Flint
Posts: 2,530
Likes (Received): 1034

No, they're idiots.

CTBUH will rule this an antenna. I predicted it!
__________________
Manhattan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1MySJoFl8&hd=1 (HD)
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #37451
GeoDude
GeoDude
 
GeoDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 264
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Seriously, hardly any buildings have beacons like this. There are no other buildings in NYC, maybe even the USA, that have a beacon...you're thinking of those red flashing lights on the tip of antennas/spires to alert airplanes

Major Difference

Little red light at the top
firstly, you don't have to tell me what i'm thinking of, i already know thanks.

secondly, you site the beacon with a photo of the OLD spire that is no longer part of the tower. are there any photos of the beacon on the new antenna???

thirdly, even if a 'beacon' is added on the antenna, it does not change the fact the empire state building, or any building with an antenna, could do the exact same thing, and change the official height (again there is no way that is going to happen).

fourthly, even if the 'beacon' is considered an architectural element, it doesn't change the fact that it is sitting on top of an antenna, which is not!!!

i dont even know why i am arguing about this. you can believe what you want to believe. only time will tell (prove you wrong)
__________________

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #37452
yankee fan for life
Registered User
 
yankee fan for life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn new york
Posts: 832
Likes (Received): 195

Honestly their is a part of me that hopes CTBUH will rule it as an antenna, so Durst and the Port authority will have eggs thrown at their face.
__________________
My heart beats for Brooklyn new york
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #37453
1Filipe1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 887
Likes (Received): 319

another thing is that the MAST was always part of the design, not an add on.. just saying

can we grow up a little and stop arguing over something that neither you nor i can judge because your not the one deciding..
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #37454
WTCNewYork
Registered User
 
WTCNewYork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 505
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
LOL, the removal of the radome cover for the antenna is the talk of the year here And I can't imagine the CTBUH would accept this antenna if it doesn't accept other antennas
The thing is, this antenna is a part of the original design. All other antennas are added on later.

EDIT: @1Filipe1 whoops you beat me to it
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #37455
1Filipe1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 887
Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCNewYork View Post
The thing is, this antenna is a part of the original design. All other antennas are added on later.

EDIT: @1Filipe1 whoops you beat me to it
beat ya by a minute lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #37456
Jay
Registered User
 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California to Barcelona
Posts: 4,054
Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
No, they're idiots.

CTBUH will rule this an antenna. I predicted it!

Yea I agree, the PA and the media are too stupid to know what's really going on with the official height


Quote:
Honestly their is a part of me that hopes CTBUH will rule it as an antenna, so Durst and the Port authority will have eggs thrown at their face.
I sadly don't think anyone will care enough, it is embarrassing yes, but there are people that don't even know the building is above ground yet (well recently it's been in the news a lot but before recently there were many who thought ground zero was still a hole in the ground, the public is not always observant of these kinds of things)
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #37457
badilger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1
llol their hasn't really been much news on 1wtc or much visable progress, besides on the roof which we can't see much..
Has anyone info on what they're going to clad the first 180' of WTC1 with? In an earlier post I mentioned the problems they were having with the prismatic glass that was originally going to use. Apparently there has been no solution mentioned on the issue. The NOVA program found the special "bulletproof " glass panels shipped to China for special cutting with advance tools couldn't stop a sledgehammer.
badilger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #37458
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,505

The base will be cladded in a metal grid, covered in glass fins. It will also be squared off.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #37459
1Filipe1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 887
Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by badilger View Post
Has anyone info on what they're going to clad the first 180' of WTC1 with? In an earlier post I mentioned the problems they were having with the prismatic glass that was originally going to use. Apparently there has been no solution mentioned on the issue. The NOVA program found the special "bulletproof " glass panels shipped to China for special cutting with advance tools couldn't stop a sledgehammer.
your talking about the base right? aren't they using different glass and squaring off the base?
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #37460
badilger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
The base will be cladded in a metal grid, covered in glass fins. It will also be squared off.
Thanks!
badilger no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu