daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #37461
Jim Vaz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

And since I cannot take a picture from here, this is what the tower looks like from Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ. Exactly 45 miles. My favorite view of the tower

image hosted on flickr

Can you really see lower Manhattan from the top of Kingda Ka?!? Never been on it yet so you could be right. Thats crazy!
Let me ask you this as well, can you see Philadelphia and the Liberty and Comcast buildings from the same vantage point but looking southwest or are they a little too low on the horizon? I know that near Washingtons Crossing and 95 in Mercer County just north of Trenton you can make out Center City Philadelphia before going over the bridge and that is a good 25 or more miles from Philly.
Jim Vaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #37462
badilger

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1

your talking about the base right? aren't they using different glass and squaring off the base?
The original glass panels were to be cut at a slant to give a prismatic effect to the surrounding "lobby." it looked beautiful and not like the bunker mentality the 180' base I pictured. They were having problems getting the lower glass panels manufactured, though they were first made here before being shipped to China where they were specially cut at angles and bond to flat sheets, making the glass panel 2" thick.
badilger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #37463
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vaz View Post
Can you really see lower Manhattan from the top of Kingda Ka?!? Never been on it yet so you could be right. Thats crazy!
Let me ask you this as well, can you see Philadelphia and the Liberty and Comcast buildings from the same vantage point but looking southwest or are they a little too low on the horizon? I know that near Washingtons Crossing and 95 in Mercer County just north of Trenton you can make out Center City Philadelphia before going over the bridge and that is a good 25 or more miles from Philly.
Yes you can easily see NYC from most of the rides from Six Flags, took me 10 times riding it to actually find it lol. And absolutely yes, Philadelphia can easily be seen from there. Its actuallly closer to there than NYC, its the only place besides an airplane where you can see the distance between the two cities. However, One World Trade is best viewed from El Toro since you have more time to look.
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #37464
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
firstly, you don't have to tell me what i'm thinking of, i already know thanks.

secondly, you site the beacon with a photo of the OLD spire that is no longer part of the tower. are there any photos of the beacon on the new antenna???

thirdly, even if a 'beacon' is added on the antenna, it does not change the fact the empire state building, or any building with an antenna, could do the exact same thing, and change the official height (again there is no way that is going to happen).

fourthly, even if the 'beacon' is considered an architectural element, it doesn't change the fact that it is sitting on top of an antenna, which is not!!!

i dont even know why i am arguing about this. you can believe what you want to believe. only time will tell (prove you wrong)
Why do you care, I'm not the only one who thinks this. There are many poctures of the beacon in the warehouse but I can't seem to find it.......

Last edited by NewYorkSkyline117; September 27th, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #37465
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Is there something that rustles your jimmies about the new 1WTC being only as tall as the original?
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #37466
Blascozgz1
Aragon!!!!

Likes (Received): 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post

Old September 27th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #37467
Seppi93

Likes (Received): 249

Thats a great Picture. But I miss the old skyline of Lower Manhattan :-(
Seppi93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #37468
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

According to Otie, it's a guyed mast.

I'm not sure if a mast is included or not or if their is a difference between an antenna and a mast.
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #37469
Blade

Likes (Received): 3

This simply looks amazing!!!!
Blade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #37470
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Chicago has only four (Sears, Hancock, Aon, and Trump).
Do your research next time!

Chicago:

1. Sears Tower - RH - 442m/P - 527/CTBUH - 442m

2. Trump - RH - 356/P - 423/CTBUH - 423m

3. Aon Center - RH - 346/P - 346/CTBUH - 346m

4. John Hancock Center - RH - 344/P - 457/CTBUH - 344

5. Franklin Center - RH - 270/P - 307/CTBUH - 307

6. 2 Prudential Plaza - RH - 279/P - 303/CTBUH - 303

_____

New York City:

1.1WTC - RH - 417/P - 541/CTBUH - 417*

2.ESB - RH - 381/P - 443/CTBUH - 381

3.BofA - RH - 288 /P - 366 /CTBUH - 366

4.Chrysler - RH - 282/P - 319/CTBUH - 319

5.NYTB - RH - 228/P - 319/CTBUH - 319

So NYC has 2 buildings above 300m, without cheating, while Chicago has 4.

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; September 27th, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #37471
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Chicago has only four (Sears, Hancock, Aon, and Trump).
+ AT&T Corporate Center and Two Prudential Center, both of which are over 300m tall. Oddly, the office market in Chicago isn't as terrible as many think but a new supertall could be a long ways off.

And I agree with Otie that the antenna will be a guyed mast and should not be counted in the final height. But that won't stop writers and observers using the symbolic "1776 ft" figure when describing 1WTC's height...
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #37472
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Why do people keep referring to "official" height?

In my opinion, there is no such thing. Everyone is free to offer their opinion and methodology for calculating height. There is no governing body that has any form of official authority on this. Sure, there is an organization that is commonly cited. But their opinion is no more official than the opinion of anyone else.

When the CTBUH height is quoted, it is just that, the CTBUH height. It is no more official than the official dfiler height. In other words, it is more logical to say "CTBUH height" rather than "official height".
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #37473
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

True, but every one want's their opinion to be vindicated .
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #37474
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Why do people keep referring to "official" height?

In my opinion, there is no such thing. Everyone is free to offer their opinion and methodology for calculating height. There is no governing body that has any form of official authority on this. Sure, there is an organization that is commonly cited. But their opinion is no more official than the opinion of anyone else.

When the CTBUH height is quoted, it is just that, the CTBUH height. It is no more official than the official dfiler height. In other words, it is more logical to say "CTBUH height" rather than "official height".
Exactly, that is why I gave 3 different heights on my post above, but I am guessing you weren't talking to me, right ?
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #37475
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
+ AT&T Corporate Center and Two Prudential Center, both of which are over 300m
their roofs are under 300m. They exceed 300m only when you count the sticks on their roofs. No one regards 1 WTC as 1776 feet tall.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #37476
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
their roofs are under 300m. They exceed 300m only when you count the sticks on their roofs. No one regards 1 WTC as 1776 feet tall.
some still do on this forum, im still undecided, but out of this forum people who actually care about skyscrapers think its going to be 1776 ft
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #37477
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
+ AT&T Corporate Center and Two Prudential Center, both of which are over 300m tall. Oddly, the office market in Chicago isn't as terrible as many think but a new supertall could be a long ways off.

And I agree with Otie that the antenna will be a guyed mast and should not be counted in the final height. But that won't stop writers and observers using the symbolic "1776 ft" figure when describing 1WTC's height...
Yeah, Chicago has several buildings either proposed or UC that are near or over 200m. It has a possible supertall, with the Wolf Point proposal. The Wolf Point Towers are part office, the Crown 220m tower is all office, the approved river point 200m tower is all office, it has others as well. Chicago's office market seems to be improving at a good pace. The apartment market seems to be the best in both NYC and Chicago though...
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #37478
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
some still do on this forum, im still undecided, but out of this forum people who actually care about skyscrapers think its going to be 1776 ft
Quote:
out of this forum people who actually care about skyscrapers think its going to be 1776 ft
LOL, a bit of a hasty generalization don't you think ?

Based off that, Otie and Desert Punk don't "actually care about skyscrapers"!
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #37479
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
True, but besides 1 WTC, ESB is the only 300m+ building in NYC by roof height, but you said that NYC had 6.
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #37480
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
True, but besides 1 WTC, ESB is the only 300m+ building in NYC by roof height, but you said that NYC had 6.
Chrysler

One 57

432 park

Coach Tower

All exist or are uc and have roofs -- not sticks on their roofs -- which exceed 300m.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center