daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #37921
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
Here is a picture of said ledge and down-turned louvers of the original twins:

Note the light bulb is the sealed type expected in an exterior location. Also 1WTC's fireproofing is in the form of paint-on rather than spray-on fireproofing at the mechanical levels, more like we see at the base, but not colored red.
How on earth did I not know this until now? I always thought the louvers were on the exterior columns on those floors. Mind blown.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #37922
usafarid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

we waiting the spire anntena
usafarid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #37923
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
How on earth did I not know this until now? I always thought the louvers were on the exterior columns on those floors. Mind blown.
Fun fact, the twin's louvers were black aluminum, which is why in photographs the mechanical floors form dark bands at night where there is no light even though there were utility lights on the backs of the exterior columns.

[Off topic: it drove me crazy when all the [individuals who couldn't accept that we were caught with our pants down] thought there were bombs on the mechanical floors because they saw puffs of smoke. That was the compressed air acting like in an accordion. The mechanical floors were treated as exterior areas and were not sealed from the outside atmosphere, therefore they were the easiest locations for the compressed air to escape the towers. Also, that's not mentioning the assorted oil filled transformers in the two substations in each mechanical floor, or the water tanks, or the dust. Also on this topic, The Rising gave a false explanation. The twin's cores held at least half the weight of the floor outside of the core and all of the weight of the floors inside the core. If one end of the floor spandrels were attached to the perimeter and one half went to the core than it only makes sense that they shared the load. In this tower the same idea is used for the exterior floor structure, but the floors in the core are able to support themselves without added horizontal strength from the exterior columns. In other words, 1WTC's core can stand alone and be stable. In the twins the core stood for several seconds after the exterior floors and columns collapsed, but because they were never engineered to withstand shear forces, only the force of gravity, they were extremely unstable and collapsed. That is why the core columns were at the top of the debris pile. Had that not been the case, people in the core during the collapse would have had a great chance of survival.]

Back to 1WTC: the louvers appear to be the same blue-grey color of the ones that are at the base mechanical floors, but in the renders, they appear to be completely lit at night. Hopefully its more of a soft glow.

Last edited by PMadFlyer; October 16th, 2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: finding an alternative wording for "nutcases"
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #37924
whd13b

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Fun fact, the twin's louvers were black aluminum, which is why in photographs the mechanical floors form dark bands at night where there is no light even though there were utility lights on the backs of the exterior columns.

[Off topic: it drove me crazy when all the conspiracy nutcases thought there were bombs on the mechanical floors because they saw puffs of smoke. That was the compressed air acting like in an accordion. The mechanical floors were treated as exterior areas and were not sealed from the outside atmosphere, therefore they were the easiest locations for the compressed air to escape the towers. Also, that's not mentioning the assorted oil filled transformers in the two substations in each mechanical floor, or the water tanks, or the dust. Also on this topic, The Rising gave a false explanation. The twin's cores held at least half the weight of the floor outside of the core and all of the weight of the floors inside the core. If one end of the floor spandrels were attached to the perimeter and one half went to the core than it only makes sense that they shared the load. In this tower the same idea is used for the exterior floor structure, but the floors in the core are able to support themselves without added horizontal strength from the exterior columns. In other words, 1WTC's core can stand alone and be stable. In the twins the core stood for several seconds after the exterior floors and columns collapsed, but because they were never engineered to withstand shear forces, only the force of gravity, they were extremely unstable and collapsed. That is why the core columns were at the top of the debris pile. Had that not been the case, people in the core during the collapse would have had a great chance of survival.]

Back to 1WTC: the louvers appear to be the same blue-grey color of the ones that are at the base mechanical floors, but in the renders, they appear to be completely lit at night. Hopefully its more of a soft glow.
It's one thing to give your explanation and apparent expertise on the subject of the former World Trade Center construction and it's another to call individuals "nutcases" for believing in alternate theories. That's called being a bully. Just sayin...
whd13b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #37925
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:

[Off topic: it drove me crazy when all the conspiracy nutcases thought there were bombs on the mechanical floors because they saw puffs of smoke. That was the compressed air acting like in an accordion. The mechanical floors were treated as exterior areas and were not sealed from the outside atmosphere, therefore they were the easiest locations for the compressed air to escape the towers. Also, that's not mentioning the assorted oil filled transformers in the two substations in each mechanical floor, or the water tanks, or the dust. Also on this topic, The Rising gave a false explanation. The twin's cores held at least half the weight of the floor outside of the core and all of the weight of the floors inside the core. If one end of the floor spandrels were attached to the perimeter and one half went to the core than it only makes sense that they shared the load. In this tower the same idea is used for the exterior floor structure, but the floors in the core are able to support themselves without added horizontal strength from the exterior columns. In other words, 1WTC's core can stand alone and be stable. In the twins the core stood for several seconds after the exterior floors and columns collapsed, but because they were never engineered to withstand shear forces, only the force of gravity, they were extremely unstable and collapsed. That is why the core columns were at the top of the debris pile. Had that not been the case, people in the core during the collapse would have had a great chance of survival.]

A good percentage of Americans don't believe the official 9/11 story, don't call them nutcases just because they have a different opinion...
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #37926
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

image hosted on flickr

Welcome Back by jphillipobrien2006, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

1WTC by jphillipobrien2006, on Flickr
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #37927
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

I changed my wording in my last post. When I was making a model of the original North tower that I had to visit all kinds of conspiracy websites to find reference images. I read some pretty far out stuff, like the paint on the entire building containing explosives. I was referring to the really far out stuff. The louver picture is one that I found on one of said conspiracy sites.

On topic: does the steel situation mean that the roof is completely stalled until further notice?
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #37928
granitm5

Likes (Received): 8

this is the greatest city in the world, and it has the greatest skyline the world has ever known, personally im not a big fan of the new WTC tower, they should of made it something the world has never seen something amazing like a spinning tower of sorts with every floor having a unique color. something of that nature.
granitm5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #37929
NYBOY1975
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
Awesome pics
NYBOY1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #37930
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

1WTC looks so much taller than 1,368 feet in that first photo!
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #37931
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd13b View Post
It's one thing to give your explanation and apparent expertise on the subject of the former World Trade Center construction and it's another to call individuals "nutcases" for believing in alternate theories. That's called being a bully. Just sayin...
Oh please.

And those aren't theories as there is no evidence to support them. They are the insane ramblings of stupid, attention seeking and/or misinformed people.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #37932
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

The court case between ADF group and the Port Authority is scheduled for the 26th of October, hopefully they will settle this bullshit by then.
http://www.menafn.com/menafn/f5ca9a6...oject?src=main
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #37933
net222
Joined on a peculiar day

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
The court case between ADF group and the Port Authority is scheduled for the 26th of October, hopefully they will settle this bullshit by then.
http://www.menafn.com/menafn/f5ca9a6...oject?src=main
Thanks for the info, hopefully they get this thing for done once
net222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #37934
Spurdo
Fugging Awesome :D

Likes (Received): 724

image hosted on flickr

Skyline by EjMoreno123FullSail, on Flickr

-Garl Tsagan

AT THE BEGINNINGS, THE UNIVERSE WAS AS SMALL AS MY TESTIGLE:DDDD, BUT IT WEIGHED AS MUCH AS YOUR MOTHER :DDDD

-galgulated by Garl Tsagan
Spurdo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #37935
starchitecte

Likes (Received): 1

And what about the dog, the child and the big hole? (see the first page of this topic!)
starchitecte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #37936
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
1WTC looks so much taller than 1,368 feet in that first photo!
It actually is. It's 1374 feet tall
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #37937
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:

All louver work is being done by the same contractor, louvers at all 3 plenums will be basically the same. I don't have any information about the general illumination but I believe it'll be similar to 7's parapet.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #37938
The Quiet Storm
I ❤ Skyscrapers!

Likes (Received): 26

Still wish they'd put the twins back though.

ON iTUNES NOW
The Quiet Storm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #37939
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
It actually is. It's 1374 feet tall
Same difference. Depends on which side you are on. Just like Sears being 1,454 originally and getting remeasured at 1,450 from its opposite side. I think they'll end up saying that it is 1,368 feet in the same way they did with Sears.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #37940
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Well, I hope that in this case they will measure it as 1374 feet so that it escapes the humiliation of not being taller than the Twins

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center