daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM   #3781
econ_tim
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 172
Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Kind of a sad and point in U.S. industry where we don't even have the ability to make steel (or competitiveness) to make the steel for one of the most symbolic buildings in the United States!
it's impossible for a country to have a comparative advantage in everything. the U.S. is fortunate to have comparative advantages in high-paying sectors.
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM   #3782
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers
 
ZZ-II's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Ingolstadt in Bavaria
Posts: 33,507
Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
the core has to gorw only 21m to reach street level, but since it has grown a bit i think that a maximum of 10m are left to bring the core to street level.....so i think we dont have to wait long to see it at street level.
10m are ~ 2 floors....so probably still some months with the current speed
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:11 PM   #3783
Eric Offereins
The only way is up
 
Eric Offereins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 68,704
Likes (Received): 28321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
Kinda interesting.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D8UVI4IO2.htm

February 22, 2008, 2:25PM ET
Long journey of Freedom Tower steel
By AMY WESTFELDT

By summer, steel will rise above street level for the first time; the Port Authority of New York and Jersey, which owned the trade center and is building the Freedom Tower, says it will take four more years to build: 102 stories, the same height as the twin towers, topped by a spire once likened to the Statue of Liberty's torch.
Hopefully this settles the schedule discussion once and for all.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:06 PM   #3784
Ebola
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,658
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Kind of a sad and point in U.S. industry where we don't even have the ability to make steel (or competitiveness) to make the steel for one of the most symbolic buildings in the United States!
It's not sad at all and doesn't prove anyting about the current state of the US because there are literally only one or two places on the face of the planet that can produce the mega beams specifically needed for this project, and their location has do with natural resources. Plants in the US still process this steel and I'm sure that, even though the PA has decided to use several foreign firms to produce different parts of the building, almost everything could have been done without the help of other places, yet it's clear that they wanted the rest of the world to be a part of the process simply by looking at all of the architects picked for the projects within the WTC megaplot.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:52 PM   #3785
aaron_S
Frankfurt / Tel Aviv
 
aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 24
Likes (Received): 5

agreed. There's nothing to be sad off and welcome to a globalized world.
aaron_S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #3786
Zollern
Registered User
 
Zollern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 394
Likes (Received): 15

The steel girders for 1 Worldwide Plaza came from Luxembourg. That was about 20 years ago so this type of outsourcing is nothing new.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #3787
Daquan13
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 1,081
Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Hopefully this settles the schedule discussion once and for all.


It should also send a powerful message to EVERYONE that there will be no stopping the tower and no turning back!
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #3788
Msradell
Always looking up
 
Msradell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,772
Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
It's not sad at all and doesn't prove anyting about the current state of the US because there are literally only one or two places on the face of the planet that can produce the mega beams specifically needed for this project, and their location has do with natural resources. Plants in the US still process this steel and I'm sure that, even though the PA has decided to use several foreign firms to produce different parts of the building, almost everything could have been done without the help of other places, yet it's clear that they wanted the rest of the world to be a part of the process simply by looking at all of the architects picked for the projects within the WTC megaplot.
If you look back in history the U.S. Steel industry used to be the leader in the world and able to produce larger and bigger steel and anyone in the world and our steel production tonnage with huge. Today U.S. Steel industry has shrunk to the point it's hardly competitive in any product line. The U.S. auto industry even import roll steel for auto production.

This has nothing to do with raw material availability since Luxembourg imports a majority of their raw materials. It has all to do with the decline of U.S. industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_S View Post
agreed. There's nothing to be sad off and welcome to a globalized world.
Easy for you to say since you're not from the U.S.! For U.S. citizens globalization is an indicator of the decline of our leadership in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zollern View Post
The steel girders for 1 Worldwide Plaza came from Luxembourg. That was about 20 years ago so this type of outsourcing is nothing new.
Actually, construction of the original towers started more than 40 years ago and they were completed 35 years ago.
__________________
"Written using Dragon Naturally Speaking"
I've learned that depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #3789
germantower
i ♥ NY
 
germantower's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,453
Likes (Received): 1155

It was reported that windows on the world will come back to the new WTC. Does anyone know if it will be situated in WTC1, or will it be in one of the other towers?
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #3790
wap-190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 137
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Easy for you to say since you're not from the U.S.! For U.S. citizens globalization is an indicator of the decline of our leadership in the world.
Finally some good news for the rest of the world ...

Anyway, what's the reason why the working is so slow at the moment, is the work too complex or what other factors are slowing down the progress on wtc1?
wap-190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #3791
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool
 
LeMoN-SK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bratislava
Posts: 2,851
Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
It was reported that windows on the world will come back to the new WTC. Does anyone know if it will be situated in WTC1, or will it be in one of the other towers?
I am not sure, but IMO it will be the logical choice...
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #3792
xXFallenXx
Registered User
 
xXFallenXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,859
Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by wap-190 View Post
Finally some good news for the rest of the world ...
Show me another country that has contributed to the world as much as the US has. Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wap-190 View Post
Anyway, what's the reason why the working is so slow at the moment, is the work too complex or what other factors are slowing down the progress on wtc1?
the reason is this is an incredibly complex construction site, unlike any other in the world.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #3793
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers
 
ZZ-II's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Ingolstadt in Bavaria
Posts: 33,507
Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
It was reported that windows on the world will come back to the new WTC. Does anyone know if it will be situated in WTC1, or will it be in one of the other towers?
i believe it will be on WTC 1
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #3794
ngeorgiev
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London
Posts: 70
Likes (Received): 3

lol one of the biggest construction sites anywhere in the world
ngeorgiev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #3795
44p
build the NWTC
 
44p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 696
Likes (Received): 18

I've been looking at the webcam and I noticed that its rising!
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #3796
helghast
Registered User
 
helghast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,374
Likes (Received): 147

thats not really true. its only 16 acres. the burj dubai developoment is a stagering 500 acre site.
__________________
"If you put the empire state building on top of the Sears Tower then it's reasonable to say you'll be in the neighbourhood," Mr Baker says.
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #3797
romanamerican
Registered User
 
romanamerican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 583
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
Show me another country that has contributed to the world as much as the US has. Please!


.
Do not go down this path. It leads only to a pointless discussion and the closure of the thread. Americans don't need to demonstrate anything, especially to someone that comes from a useless country like austria. Critics to US demonstrate only one thing: that the US is still the most powerful nation in the world. There has always been criticism against the leading power, it was like that with the Romans, with the Franks and during the British Empire.
So be happy about it and lets finish this here before it gets out of control.

Last edited by romanamerican; February 24th, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #3798
44p
build the NWTC
 
44p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 696
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngeorgiev View Post
lol one of the biggest construction sites anywhere in the world
Yeah thats not true. It can still hold 4 normal buildings, but the Burj Dubai site is a lot bigger
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #3799
meh_cd
Registered User
 
meh_cd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
thats not really true. its only 16 acres. the burj dubai developoment is a stagering 500 acre site.
500 acres for one building versus 16 acres for 4 buildings right now.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #3800
Tag_one
Registered User
 
Tag_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nieuwegein/Holland
Posts: 695
Likes (Received): 6

A pointless discussion about steel beams... For those Americans who wants the US to make the biggest beams in the world: Go build a steel mill I should say

Come on, steel = steel, who cares where it's made

Last edited by Tag_one; February 24th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu