daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #37981
Tcha Ya Know What?

Likes (Received): 0

Unless my eyes deceive me, the ugly gap in the curtain wall has been connected on the West side according to EarthCam's "Skyline view"
Tcha Ya Know What? no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #37982
chileno666
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

The CW its just amazing!
chileno666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #37983
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcha Ya Know What? View Post
Unless my eyes deceive me, the ugly gap in the curtain wall has been connected on the West side according to EarthCam's "Skyline view"
It sure does look like it.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #37984
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
I heard the base can withstand a nuclear explosion.
The smart-ass response would be "Depends on the size." But, the threat of natural disaster, conventional explosives [truck bombs], and impact events are more likely the threats imagined by the engineers. If I was close enough that I'd need a 3' thick 14000psi concrete core wall to save me from the detonation of a nuclear weapon, I'd wish I went in the first round. Where do you go? what do you do when the food and water runs out? The building's filtration systems are more for biochemical attacks than nuclear ones. If, god forbid, a nuclear detonation were to happen hundreds of miles up-wind, perhaps the tower would allow the occupants to wait until the fallout passed. It's very morbid to think about. The survival of this building, our are selves in [sorry, but this is the original use of the term] ground zero would be of minimal importance. The nation would face the ultimate decision of retaliating, and causing a nuclear genocide. All hell would break lose, it would be the darkest hour humanity has ever faced, and possibly the last.

Quote:
"I know not with what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein
I'm thankful that I can't comprehend it.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #37985
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
but can it withstand a controlled demolition?
That better not mean what I think it might mean..I hope you're not one of those lunatics who believe in those damn theories about a controlled demolition
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #37986
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcha Ya Know What? View Post
Your eyes do deceive you.
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #37987
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
That might very well be true. 1WTC is being constructed as the strongest building on the planet.
Which raises the big question. If a 9/11 scenario happened again, would the tower stay standing?
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #37988
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
The smart-ass response would be "Depends on the size." But, the threat of natural disaster, conventional explosives [truck bombs], and impact events are more likely the threats imagined by the engineers. If I was close enough that I'd need a 3' thick 14000psi concrete core wall to save me from the detonation of a nuclear weapon, I'd wish I went in the first round. Where do you go? what do you do when the food and water runs out? The building's filtration systems are more for biochemical attacks than nuclear ones. If, god forbid, a nuclear detonation were to happen hundreds of miles up-wind, perhaps the tower would allow the occupants to wait until the fallout passed. It's very morbid to think about. The survival of this building, our are selves in [sorry, but this is the original use of the term] ground zero would be of minimal importance. The nation would face the ultimate decision of retaliating, and causing a nuclear genocide. All hell would break lose, it would be the darkest hour humanity has ever faced, and possibly the last.

I'm thankful that I can't comprehend it.
...it was designed to withstand the sort of thing that could have happened at the Federal Reserve on Wednesday...or to deter it.
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #37989
luisgustavo
Chico Tepa

Likes (Received): 1735

Great pictures!!
luisgustavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #37990
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgates View Post
Your eyes do deceive you.
No I think they don't

Look at the KPI TV cam 3 called "1WTC" (http://www.video-monitoring.com/cons...itv/silver.htm). If you look at one of the recent pictures (taken during daytime) it definately looks like there is no gap in the uppermost row.

I'm just wondering how they will install the panel in the row below..
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #37991
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Your in the country that gets damned if they do or damned if they don't ! Many people are just plain jealous except countries that have equal lifestyle and experience. WTC in New York City is up front and visible around the world. I hate that events like today.....the failed bomber downtown gets news but reality says if your at the top you are the top of the list.......Hmmm forget Frank Sinatra....but enjoy what you are and all you are and just know the knockers are at the bottom and plain jealous..........New York and the New World Trade Centre will be wonderful......it's all coming together and in a short while will be a site the world will want to visit. That's the thing.....New York rates as the world where most everywhere else is just trying !
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #37992
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Which raises the big question. If a 9/11 scenario happened again, would the tower stay standing?
I'm pretty sure it would be only lightly damaged. The tremendous core, which provides most of the strength could not be pierced by a plane. Though the perimeter columns might not be that lucky and at the impact zone all people would be killed, so it is paramount that security in the US is kept as high as possible
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #37993
arend050
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Real question is can you?

:P wahaha lol richt question
arend050 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #37994
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it would be only lightly damaged. The tremendous core, which provides most of the strength could not be pierced by a plane. Though the perimeter columns might not be that lucky and at the impact zone all people would be killed, so it is paramount that security in the US is kept as high as possible
A 1000 pound bomb detonated in a truck parked right next to the base? Lightly damaged? The building might still be standing but windows in the the tower and every other building for blocks would be shot, and the lobby would probably be a total disaster.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #37995
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

Quote:
Reminds me of this thread from November 2000 of someone asking 'What if a 707 Hit the World Trade Center' (Meaning the old one of course)
Here is a link to it, its quite interesting hearing everyone's thoughts after knowing what actually happens a year later: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...main/336291/1/
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #37996
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6839

taken by me yesterday on a flight

big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #37997
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
Reminds me of this thread from November 2000 of someone asking 'What if a 707 Hit the World Trade Center' (Meaning the old one of course)
Here is a link to it, its quite interesting hearing everyone's thoughts after knowing what actually happens a year later: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...main/336291/1/
Even both of the WTC towers survived plane impacts. They only didn't survive the fires that this impact has caused and which it massively help spreading because of the destruction of sprinklers and fireproofing. The new 1WTC uses concrete and that isn't vulnerable to fire. Also it is far stronger than the Twins

However, I personally would still make 1WTC even stronger than they did. In my opinion a building should be designed so that a plane impact or a massive carbomb does vitrually no damage to neither the core, nor the base
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #37998
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
No I think they don't

Look at the KPI TV cam 3 called "1WTC" (http://www.video-monitoring.com/cons...itv/silver.htm). If you look at one of the recent pictures (taken during daytime) it definately looks like there is no gap in the uppermost row.

I'm just wondering how they will install the panel in the row below..
Im blind
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #37999
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Guys look at the base!
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #38000
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22562

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
Guys look at the base!
what are you seeing?
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center