daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #37981
Tcha Ya Know What?
Registered User
 
Tcha Ya Know What?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cheltenham
Posts: 13
Likes (Received): 0

Unless my eyes deceive me, the ugly gap in the curtain wall has been connected on the West side according to EarthCam's "Skyline view"
Tcha Ya Know What? no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #37982
chileno666
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Likes (Received): 1

The CW its just amazing!
chileno666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #37983
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis
 
OnePointWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York,New York
Posts: 675
Likes (Received): 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcha Ya Know What? View Post
Unless my eyes deceive me, the ugly gap in the curtain wall has been connected on the West side according to EarthCam's "Skyline view"
It sure does look like it.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #37984
PMadFlyer
Registered User
 
PMadFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 453
Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
I heard the base can withstand a nuclear explosion.
The smart-ass response would be "Depends on the size." But, the threat of natural disaster, conventional explosives [truck bombs], and impact events are more likely the threats imagined by the engineers. If I was close enough that I'd need a 3' thick 14000psi concrete core wall to save me from the detonation of a nuclear weapon, I'd wish I went in the first round. Where do you go? what do you do when the food and water runs out? The building's filtration systems are more for biochemical attacks than nuclear ones. If, god forbid, a nuclear detonation were to happen hundreds of miles up-wind, perhaps the tower would allow the occupants to wait until the fallout passed. It's very morbid to think about. The survival of this building, our are selves in [sorry, but this is the original use of the term] ground zero would be of minimal importance. The nation would face the ultimate decision of retaliating, and causing a nuclear genocide. All hell would break lose, it would be the darkest hour humanity has ever faced, and possibly the last.

Quote:
"I know not with what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein
I'm thankful that I can't comprehend it.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #37985
NewYorkSkyline117
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Morris County
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
but can it withstand a controlled demolition?
That better not mean what I think it might mean..I hope you're not one of those lunatics who believe in those damn theories about a controlled demolition
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #37986
billgates
Registered User
 
billgates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 316
Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcha Ya Know What? View Post
Unless my eyes deceive me, the ugly gap in the curtain wall has been connected on the West side according to EarthCam's "Skyline view"
Your eyes do deceive you.
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #37987
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles
 
Mojeda101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 802
Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
That might very well be true. 1WTC is being constructed as the strongest building on the planet.
Which raises the big question. If a 9/11 scenario happened again, would the tower stay standing?
__________________
Any and all photos of my Los Angeles updates can be found at my Flickr
Any extras can be found on my Instagram
Mojeda101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #37988
micrip
Registered User
 
micrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 3,875
Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
The smart-ass response would be "Depends on the size." But, the threat of natural disaster, conventional explosives [truck bombs], and impact events are more likely the threats imagined by the engineers. If I was close enough that I'd need a 3' thick 14000psi concrete core wall to save me from the detonation of a nuclear weapon, I'd wish I went in the first round. Where do you go? what do you do when the food and water runs out? The building's filtration systems are more for biochemical attacks than nuclear ones. If, god forbid, a nuclear detonation were to happen hundreds of miles up-wind, perhaps the tower would allow the occupants to wait until the fallout passed. It's very morbid to think about. The survival of this building, our are selves in [sorry, but this is the original use of the term] ground zero would be of minimal importance. The nation would face the ultimate decision of retaliating, and causing a nuclear genocide. All hell would break lose, it would be the darkest hour humanity has ever faced, and possibly the last.



I'm thankful that I can't comprehend it.
...it was designed to withstand the sort of thing that could have happened at the Federal Reserve on Wednesday...or to deter it.
__________________
Baltimore...Propensity for Density
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #37989
luisgustavo
Chico Tepa
 
luisgustavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 706
Likes (Received): 1735

Great pictures!!
luisgustavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #37990
oli83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 1,684
Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgates View Post
Your eyes do deceive you.
No I think they don't

Look at the KPI TV cam 3 called "1WTC" (http://www.video-monitoring.com/cons...itv/silver.htm). If you look at one of the recent pictures (taken during daytime) it definately looks like there is no gap in the uppermost row.

I'm just wondering how they will install the panel in the row below..
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #37991
redbaron_012
Registered User
 
redbaron_012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 11,562
Likes (Received): 3095

Your in the country that gets damned if they do or damned if they don't ! Many people are just plain jealous except countries that have equal lifestyle and experience. WTC in New York City is up front and visible around the world. I hate that events like today.....the failed bomber downtown gets news but reality says if your at the top you are the top of the list.......Hmmm forget Frank Sinatra....but enjoy what you are and all you are and just know the knockers are at the bottom and plain jealous..........New York and the New World Trade Centre will be wonderful......it's all coming together and in a short while will be a site the world will want to visit. That's the thing.....New York rates as the world where most everywhere else is just trying !
__________________
"Make no small plans, for they have not power to stir the blood" - Daniel H. Burnham
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #37992
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Which raises the big question. If a 9/11 scenario happened again, would the tower stay standing?
I'm pretty sure it would be only lightly damaged. The tremendous core, which provides most of the strength could not be pierced by a plane. Though the perimeter columns might not be that lucky and at the impact zone all people would be killed, so it is paramount that security in the US is kept as high as possible
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #37993
arend050
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 42
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Real question is can you?

:P wahaha lol richt question
arend050 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #37994
meh_cd
Registered User
 
meh_cd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I'm pretty sure it would be only lightly damaged. The tremendous core, which provides most of the strength could not be pierced by a plane. Though the perimeter columns might not be that lucky and at the impact zone all people would be killed, so it is paramount that security in the US is kept as high as possible
A 1000 pound bomb detonated in a truck parked right next to the base? Lightly damaged? The building might still be standing but windows in the the tower and every other building for blocks would be shot, and the lobby would probably be a total disaster.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #37995
Chibears85
MEOW!
 
Chibears85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 728
Likes (Received): 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I'm pretty sure it would be only lightly damaged. The tremendous core, which provides most of the strength could not be pierced by a plane. Though the perimeter columns might not be that lucky and at the impact zone all people would be killed, so it is paramount that security in the US is kept as high as possible
Reminds me of this thread from November 2000 of someone asking 'What if a 707 Hit the World Trade Center' (Meaning the old one of course)
Here is a link to it, its quite interesting hearing everyone's thoughts after knowing what actually happens a year later: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...main/336291/1/
__________________
CLICK HERE TO SEE MY NEW YORK CITY PHOTO THREAD TO REQUEST PICTURES OR SEE AMAZING PICTURES!
Favorite Tower: One World Trade Center...
Chibears85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #37996
big-dog
Registered User
 
big-dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,080
Likes (Received): 6839

taken by me yesterday on a flight



big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #37997
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
Reminds me of this thread from November 2000 of someone asking 'What if a 707 Hit the World Trade Center' (Meaning the old one of course)
Here is a link to it, its quite interesting hearing everyone's thoughts after knowing what actually happens a year later: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...main/336291/1/
Even both of the WTC towers survived plane impacts. They only didn't survive the fires that this impact has caused and which it massively help spreading because of the destruction of sprinklers and fireproofing. The new 1WTC uses concrete and that isn't vulnerable to fire. Also it is far stronger than the Twins

However, I personally would still make 1WTC even stronger than they did. In my opinion a building should be designed so that a plane impact or a massive carbomb does vitrually no damage to neither the core, nor the base
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #37998
billgates
Registered User
 
billgates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 316
Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
No I think they don't

Look at the KPI TV cam 3 called "1WTC" (http://www.video-monitoring.com/cons...itv/silver.htm). If you look at one of the recent pictures (taken during daytime) it definately looks like there is no gap in the uppermost row.

I'm just wondering how they will install the panel in the row below..
Im blind
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #37999
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis
 
OnePointWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York,New York
Posts: 675
Likes (Received): 1128

Guys look at the base!
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #38000
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx
 
Hudson11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Empire State
Posts: 9,526
Likes (Received): 22562

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
Guys look at the base!
what are you seeing?
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu