daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #3821
stefr

Likes (Received): 7

For better security, they should build a flak tower:

(photo from Wikipedia)
stefr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #3822
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefr View Post
For better security, they should build a flak tower:

(photo from Wikipedia)
That dosn't look good
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #3823
[email protected]
dubai2009

Likes (Received): 1

I wish the tower would be taller but the design is great and 541 is a heck of alot of meters, i cant wait for it to really get going my city is going to look stunning.
cmkd12c@yahoo.com no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #3824
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post

Hysteria about possible attacks may cause them in the end to build huge walls around the skycrapers, LOL.

Spartan proverb

nunyios liked this post
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #3825
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

How about 24-hour surveilence cameras? The complex having its own police like the colleges & universities do?

They need to stop making feable excuses which would delay the project & secure a plan.
Times a wasting!
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #3826
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1154

I am keen on it to stop this whole security discussion, so i would like to give my statement to this topic.

IMO if terrorists will attack this towers they will, totally indifferent which security provisions they include......we have to deal with it we cant have 100% security made by people....i mean what will the build against simmilar attacks like on 911, again with planes?

Furthermore i cant understand why the press reports this security shit only related to THIS towers, i mean look at BOFA it has also a fully glas base, it is also a possible terrorist target and they dont care about it.....

So folks please stop this senseless discussions which impact is the closure of the thread......
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #3827
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Also the NYT Tower and TW Center.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #3828
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I am keen on it to stop this whole security discussion, so i would like to give my statement to this topic.

IMO if terrorists will attack this towers they will, totally indifferent which security provisions they include......we have to deal with it we cant have 100% security made by people....i mean what will the build against simmilar attacks like on 911, again with planes?

Furthermore i cant understand why the press reports this security shit only related to THIS towers, i mean look at BOFA it has also a fully glas base, it is also a possible terrorist target and they dont care about it.....

So folks please stop this senseless discussions which impact is the closure of the thread......

i don't think such an attack with planes will ever happen again im the USA
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #3829
44p
build the NWTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
How about 24-hour surveilence cameras? The complex having its own police like the colleges & universities do?

They need to stop making feable excuses which would delay the project & secure a plan.
Times a wasting!
Yeah! thats what I thought of.
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #3830
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
lmfao talb.. lmfao

sooo i'm going to nyc in 6 days for a short vacation and to tour a school and i cant wait to stop by and check out ground zero!
Glass is actually weaker than both stone and concrete not to mention that some of it can break just by merely leaning on it.
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #3831
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Glass is actually weaker than both stone and concrete not to mention that some of it can break just by merely leaning on it.
Well, they wouldn't use such weak glass for windows in a skyscraper, get real!
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #3832
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
TalB, you are becoming ridiculous. Tell me when you have herd of a person that ha fallen from a skyscraper because he leaned on the window, and maybe I'll start to actually consider as a mature person.

Sincerely, it's better if you stop, before you humiliate yourself even more.

Getting away from these laughable considerations, can someone tell me what kind of concrete is being used for the core, and if the process is similar to the Burj Dubai as in the numerous types of concrete used in the hole building.
Thank you to whoever will be able to answer this question, and let us drop the nonsense about the glass (it was pathetic at the beginning, and it wasn't getting any better).
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #3833
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

In the last photo, Towers 2, 3, and 4 contain too much glass, fail to meet blast standards, and are vunerable to vehicles in nearby streets. Do they need to be redesigned?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #3834
Tymere1980

Likes (Received): 0

This is insane. Wasnt it our officials who said that if we let the terrorist place fear in us then we let the terrorist win?

Secondly, it is not common for terrorist to attack the same place twice. While your busy securing these buildings the terrorist will attempt to attack the least secure, vulnerable and unexpected.

The only solution is to continue as planned. If these are the buildings America chose then these are what America should build.

All of the stuff in between is ludicrous, cant make everyone happy anway.
Tymere1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #3835
Laing

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymere1980 View Post
Secondly, it is not common for terrorist to attack the same place twice. While your busy securing these buildings the terrorist will attempt to attack the least secure, vulnerable and unexpected.
The first WTC was attacked twice. Other than that I agree with you.
Laing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #3836
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
In the last photo, Towers 2, 3, and 4 contain too much glass, fail to meet blast standards, and are vunerable to vehicles in nearby streets. Do they need to be redesigned?
wow
pennster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #3837
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 83

The threats that these buildings face are no different than other buildings. They're high visibility yea, just about any building is susceptible to a terrorist attack. If they can't attack on building, they can attack others. It would be ridiculous to implement these foolish safety standards for all buildings. If that happened, they would just figure out a new way to attack.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #3838
44p
build the NWTC

I noticed in the last few months that the core has been rising slowly
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #3839
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Not necessarily. They'll probably do something like with the FT and just change the materials at the base. That is if they go ahead with these changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaWolverine View Post
The threats that these buildings face are no different than other buildings. They're high visibility yea, just about any building is susceptible to a terrorist attack. If they can't attack on building, they can attack others. It would be ridiculous to implement these foolish safety standards for all buildings. If that happened, they would just figure out a new way to attack.
I agree.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #3840
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
TalB, you are becoming ridiculous. Tell me when you have herd of a person that ha fallen from a skyscraper because he leaned on the window, and maybe I'll start to actually consider as a mature person.

Sincerely, it's better if you stop, before you humiliate yourself even more.
I didn't call your posts ridiculous, so I insist that you stop. Don't relate me to those others who known little or nothing about the difference in resistances of substances, b/c I have actually done the research. What I came up with between glass vs stone/concrete was based on van der Waals forces, which is the relatively weak attractive forces that act on neutral atoms and molecules and that arise because of the electric polarization induced in each of the particles by the presence of other particles hence I didn't just come up with that arbitrairly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymere1980
The only solution is to continue as planned. If these are the buildings America chose then these are what America should build.
It wasn't supported by the people, and I know this from going to the hearings, but I won't mention it in depth on it here.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center