daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2012, 11:30 PM   #38421
The tallest building

Likes (Received): 5

oh my gosh this site may be set back so much the towers wont open 'til the sun explodes.
The tallest building no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:08 AM   #38422
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

The situation at the WTC is still better than the situation at 157. I think that the most of the delays will be at the Museum and the Vehicle Security Center, the towers should in my opinion be able to continue as planned.
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:44 AM   #38423
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

not if they don't have electricity.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:53 AM   #38424
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I could be wrong, but can't quickly installed temporary cables bring in the power?
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:57 AM   #38425
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by The tallest building View Post
oh my gosh this site may be set back so much the towers wont open 'til the sun explodes.
This tower is a monument to recovery and determination in the face of unimaginable disaster, in fact, the whole site is. I imagine that the only thing we need to worry about at this particular tower is the utilities for construction. The cranes and other equipment need inspection, but I bet the workers are ready to get back out there and start kicking ass. If the water had made it into the lobby of this tower, there would be far more water than the vague 15-30 feet mentioned. I hope the flooding is limited to the hub. The electrical for this tower should be almost directly from the Consolidated Edison sub-station beneath 7 World Trade Center, meaning there should be far less cable to inspect and seeing as tower 7 is apparently on the grid there shouldn't be much to inspect. Of course that is assuming that the water was no in the tower's basement. In the future, or even if the fuel cells and generators were connected and functional the tower would probably have had limited office lighting and completely operational life-safety features functional even after the power outage.

Speak of the devil. The lights in the lobby of both 4 and 1 WTC are one as are the memorial lights.

Last edited by PMadFlyer; November 1st, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:41 AM   #38426
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
There are a few toppled trees. Walking to the el this morning, there were 3 of them.
Peco reported 500,000 outages.

So Philly did get hit. Not nearly as hard as NY
What is an el?
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:47 AM   #38427
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

elevated railway..
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 02:04 AM   #38428
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
One World Trade Center & A Flooded West Side Highway (Hurricane Sandy 10/29/12 @ 10:00pm)
RBudhu

image hosted on flickr
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:04 AM   #38429
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
What is an el?

An elevated subway.
Like NYC IRT?

Phillies- Market Frankford Line?

Anyhow- It many delays will occur, espically to tower 1 If lobby marble has reached ground level, then that might be damaged on tower 1

http://patrioticvoices.com/index.php
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:34 AM   #38430
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I could be wrong, but can't quickly installed temporary cables bring in the power?
I could be wrong myself, But I think still there isn't electricity in much of Lower Manhattan, Or is it now fully recovered the electrical suministry in that area? Last time I heard, still not. If that's the case, they just can't bring in the power, from where would they take it, if the entire area has a blackout?
Anyway, I think they'd better first pump all the water out the basement and check everithing's allright in order to resume construction, there's not such rush.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/121039984

Quote:
The basement levels of the World Trade Center are flooded with between 15 feet and 30 feet of water, government officials and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey sources say, the result of the surging sea levels during Superstorm Sandy.

The flooding equals millions of gallons of water that could potentially cause costly damage to equipment and electrical systems at the multi-billion dollar construction project, though preliminary evaluations appear to show the site was not severely damaged.

Adding to the difficulties is an ongoing power outage in lower Manhattan that has interfered with efforts to pump out the damaging saltwater, which sources say is significantly more corrosive to electrical wiring and systems than freshwater.
Read more: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...#ixzz2AvUF7L42
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:43 AM   #38431
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

image hosted on flickr

STORM-SANDY-HURRICANE por Stefan Leijon, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Manhattan skyline after hurricane Sandy 10/30/2012 por cc_picfun, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Downtown Dark por Several seconds, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Downtown Dark por Several seconds, en Flickr

Bonus, The Verrazano, half lit, half dark.

image hosted on flickr

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge por cc_picfun, en Flickr

NatFan9 liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:08 AM   #38432
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Very amazing.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:19 AM   #38433
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
I could be wrong myself, But I think still there isn't electricity in much of Lower Manhattan, Or is it now fully recovered the electrical suministry in that area? Last time I heard, still not. If that's the case, they just can't bring in the power, from where would they take it, if the entire area has a blackout?
Anyway, I think they'd better first pump all the water out the basement and check everithing's allright in order to resume construction, there's not such rush.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/121039984
Read more: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...#ixzz2AvUF7L42
ConEd says power may be restored to Lower Manhattan by Saturday or just after. The WTC site may have to wait until water is cleared from basements and power vaults are cleared for restart. 7 WTC has been running on backup generators but just that tower. The worst flooding was in the Vehicle Security Center still under construction. The memorial took a minor hit.

Quote:
Gov. Andrew Cuomo was among those who descended seven stories into the base of 1 World Trade Center only to find water at the bottom. He said it was unclear if the water was coming in from the bottom — which would mean the “bathtub” keeping out the Hudson River had been breached — or if the water was merely from the rain.

Since the buildings of the complex are attached underground, there appeared to be water on the lower levels over the entire 16-acre site, and a lot of water was observed at the vehicle-security center nearest West Street.

Silverstein Properties, which owns 7 World Trade Center and is completing 4 World Trade Center while finishing the bases of 2 and 3, said nothing was damaged, though there was some water in lower levels. Seven WTC was running on “fully functioning” emergency power.

The Memorial drained its water harvest tanks and stopped the two pools prior to the arrival of the storm, and some water was observed in the still uncompleted Museum area.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...VbSB5dZrYYuvTJ
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:34 AM   #38434
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Coney Island is in absolute ruin,staying in my friends house in Staten Island,anyway great pics if 1 wtc.
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:08 AM   #38435
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

The lights in the tower came on briefly, but are now out again. Strangely, only the upper-half of the tower was lit up. I think it may have been fully lit at some point this evening, but when I went to the roof of my brownstone to get a view, it was dark again.

[IMG]http://i50.************/4t5apl.jpg[/IMG]
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:26 AM   #38436
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Wow that is indeed creepy.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:23 AM   #38437
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Knowing that an event like this is more than a remote possibility, you would think that the underground areas would be compartmented (so was the Titanic, but we know how THAT turned out) so that a breach in one would not flood the whole site. Critical electric equipment, you would think, would also be protected from flooding. If the bathtub was not engineered in this fashion, they were seriously remiss.
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:00 AM   #38438
ArrHo

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc

Breezy point is in the Rockaway's
Breezy point? Isn't that where a large fire that destroyed 100 homes was?
Old November 1st, 2012, 02:10 PM   #38439
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Those storm photos are incredible. They are among the best photos I've ever seen. I absolutely love dark storm clouds just as I love sunsets
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:03 PM   #38440
acerx
traveling the world

Likes (Received): 26

I'm glad that my plane was cancelled, i don't want to be in that city right now.
acerx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center