daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 29th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #3841
DubaiTheLeader

Likes (Received): 0

WTC Owner Turns Over Land for 2 Towers

This article is from last week, but not sure if everyone has seen it:

February 20, 2008

Associate Press
The World Trade Center site's owner turned over land where two office towers are planned to a developer, clearing the way for construction to begin soon on more skyscrapers at ground zero.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey finished excavating the land for the towers on Sunday, 48 days behind a deadline it set for itself in an agreement with Larry Silverstein. The agency paid $14.4 million in late fees to the developer. It said it partially made up for the cost by not paying the contractor a $10 million bonus it would have received for finishing on time.

Click here for the full article:
http://www.wtcrising.com/main.cfm?ac...98&s=wtcrising
DubaiTheLeader no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #3842
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
I didn't call your posts ridiculous, so I insist that you stop. Don't relate me to those others who known little or nothing about the difference in resistances of substances, b/c I have actually done the research. What I came up with between glass vs stone/concrete was based on van der Waals forces, which is the relatively weak attractive forces that act on neutral atoms and molecules and that arise because of the electric polarization induced in each of the particles by the presence of other particles hence I didn't just come up with that arbitrairly.

TalB
I'm not questioning the difference between glass and stone (even though this is still ridiculous since at this point let's just build a stone monolite) but your phrase
"Glass is actually weaker than both stone and concrete not to mention that some of it can break just by merely leaning on it" that is, I repeat, a pointless observation. So I ask you again: since all modern buildings use glass generously, have you seen anybody falling down a skyscraper for this reason?
And, I'll add, with a statement like that, everything else you say looses credibility (even though I never thought there was any to begin with..).

Answer to that question, and maybe I will stop laughing at what you write.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #3843
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

Im sure that modern technology can make glass that will not brake, even when someone is leaning on it ...

Spartan proverb

nunyios liked this post
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #3844
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
TalB
I'm not questioning the difference between glass and stone (even though this is still ridiculous since at this point let's just build a stone monolite) but your phrase
"Glass is actually weaker than both stone and concrete not to mention that some of it can break just by merely leaning on it" that is, I repeat, a pointless observation. So I ask you again: since all modern buildings use glass generously, have you seen anybody falling down a skyscraper for this reason?
And, I'll add, with a statement like that, everything else you say looses credibility (even though I never thought there was any to begin with..).

Answer to that question, and maybe I will stop laughing at what you write.

I remember in '04 while vacationing in Las Vegas, I went up the Stratosphere Tower to visit both obs decks for the first time.

Because of the slant of the deck inward at the floor, if you look over, you could see the base (legs) of the tower at the street. I was deathly afraid to lean against the glass because I thought that I might fall through!

But I don't think it really would have happened, and I have yet to hear of anyone falling through the glass windows of a skyscraper just by leaning against it.

Last edited by Daquan13; February 29th, 2008 at 04:32 AM.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #3845
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
have you seen anybody falling down a skyscraper for this reason?
There was a lawyer who ran into the glass on a skyscraper and fell to his death, he was trying to prove that the companys glass he was defending was safe.
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #3846
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

really? talk about irony.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #3847
Daquan13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy View Post
There was a lawyer who ran into the glass on a skyscraper and fell to his death, he was trying to prove that the companys glass he was defending was safe.

And what a stupid way to prove that!! What a stupid thing to do!!

I wonder while he did that if he fell off the stupid tree and hit every dumb branch on the way down!!

Last edited by Daquan13; February 29th, 2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #3848
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy View Post

no, seriously, that is one of those things that has been going around internet for ever. An urban legend that is at least 30 years old... (it was probably around before there was internet..). Probably before the crocodiles in manhattan's sewage. But who knows, maybe it has really happened, but he wasn't just "leaning"on the window.

Sorry everybody for the OT but what TalB is saying is just too much this time...
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #3849
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Actually, this is all such BS, but they did something like this on MythBusters and copied a standard skyscraper window exactly as it would be in real life (they even pressurized it) [and I'm sure the standards of the windows on the New WTC will make all other skyscraper windows look like a thin piece of clear plastic] and it turns out that you'd have to weigh something like 1,000 pounds and charge at the window at a speed faster than anyone can run for it to break. I am pretty sure they busted the myth.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #3850
ljvdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Actually, this is all such BS, but they did something like this on MythBusters and copied a standard skyscraper window exactly as it would be in real life (they even pressurized it) [and I'm sure the standards of the windows on the New WTC will make all other skyscraper windows look like a thin piece of clear plastic] and it turns out that you'd have to weigh something like 1,000 pounds and charge at the window at a speed faster than anyone can run for it to break. I am pretty sure they busted the myth.
Actually, it is not BS, according to Snopes. A Toronto lawyer died after taking a run at a window in a highrise: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/window.asp

News story under Nominee #4:
http://dano.diaryland.com/fakedarwins.html

The question is, should you be able to break the window for safety reasons?
ljvdb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #3851
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

its a matter of time before this bldg starts rising faster! cant wait!
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #3852
DubaiTheLeader

The original comment was that a window could BREAK by leaning on it. The examples in the previous posts is one incident. Plus no wear did it say the glass broke, it only said the glass fell out, which would have nothing to do with the glass itself, but rather it being poorly framed in. Like I said it's one incident and with the millions of windows in skyscrapers that one is very small fraction.
DubaiTheLeader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #3853
Daquan13
BANNED

I know that some skyscrapers, especially the Sears Tower, has metal bars in front of the windows on the obs deck.
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #3854
Ebola
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljvdb View Post
Actually, it is not BS, according to Snopes. A Toronto lawyer died after taking a run at a window in a highrise: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/window.asp

News story under Nominee #4:
http://dano.diaryland.com/fakedarwins.html

The question is, should you be able to break the window for safety reasons?
I meant BS in the sense that we can't stay on topic. This isn't even the right thread because Freedom Tower isn't accused of being at fault. Anyway, I haven't checked the cam in over a week and I'm sure I'll be happy when I check it later today. The below grade superstrucutre is going to go up quickly and will be completed by the time it gets warm outside.
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #3855
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

When is route 9A underpass going to be done beacause I keep on getting confused?
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:56 AM   #3856
RealThang
Registered Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
The below grade superstructure is going to go up quickly and will be completed by the time it gets warm outside.
Don't raise expectations. It'll be warm for many months before this sucker rises up to street level. Heck, the core is only half complete at best.
RealThang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM   #3857
Ebola
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealThang View Post
Don't raise expectations. It'll be warm for many months before this sucker rises up to street level. Heck, the core is only half complete at best.

What I mean is that most of the below grade's construction apex will take place from now to the end of spring months. Recently we have seen the addition of many new below grade structures and columns and I see a new batch sitting next to the WFC connector, not to mention that the core has tripled in size from what it was only a few months ago. By the time we'll be dealing with snow storms again, above grade floors will be going up. Alas for you and many, many others, I'll 'raise expectations' as much as I desire, and those who don't like it can shove their negativity up their a$ses.
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:03 AM   #3858
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

The article that talks about steel being above ground at the end of the year may be true, but it is likely that the core will be higher than the actual steel at that point.

I still think that the core will reach street level in the before June.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:25 AM   #3859
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Whats the site that they put the pictures up on (although their 1 month late)?

And isnt the that road down into the pit supposed to be removed this month?
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM   #3860
Ebola
BANNED

Huh? The Freedom Tower is, if anything, ahead of schedule; Tower 3 is behind by 1 month, and hopefully construction will start on Tower 2 too in a few months. Or are you talking about PANYNJ or WTC Rising pics?

The old staricase blocking Tower 2 is currently being removed from the WTC site. I am pretty sure that they have removed part of it already and I'm sure it will be totally gone in two or three months. I never heard anything about that ramp being removed. It's important for 1WTC's construction from what I gather; you usually see concrete trucks and trucks carrying steel and rebarb use it to reach Freedom Tower.

I think it's likely that they won't build the core up to grade until the steel reaches grade because in NYC you really never see a core rising, only the skyscraper itself because that's just the way things are done here. It's the steel that will be going higher soon, not stupid concrete. Steel is much cooler.

Last edited by Ebola; March 1st, 2008 at 06:18 AM.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center