daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #3881
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Now I know.

There were no tall buildings on the eastern half of Ground Zero before, so for the first time ever since the land was cleared for the original WTC, that side has been excavated down to the bedrock, right?

Last edited by Daquan13; March 4th, 2008 at 05:07 PM.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #3882
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

A low-rise building of the old WTC once stood where Freedom Tower is right now, and they had to dig a tad before they started building the FT. There was sort of a 'semi-hole' where WTC Tower 3 and WTC Tower 4 will be, and where other low-rises once stood, but you really have to hand it to them since I looked at a cam shot from October and one from today and it seems as of a massive hole cam from out of no where; the PA never dug it out until recently - when they were forced to ready the site and make a new slurry wall for the new 4 and 3WTC. The site that needs to be dug out the most is the site for WTC Tower 2, and you can clearly tell just by looking at it, but they have plenty of time do dig so you should not worry at all. I would assume they went down to bedrock, but it's Larry's job now and he said that the below grade structure for Tower 4 and 3 will start taking shape in 6 months from now, so whatever needs to happen will happen. What happens from now to six moths from now will likely be nothing exciting/nothing to look at. It will seem like forever, but one day, some steel will sprout, then rebarb, and a core, and one day in late 2009 it will all reach grade, and a little after that point, these suckers will be rising at light speed. By then, the Freedom Tower and 123 Washington will likely be ready to top out, so there will ALWAYS be something very exciting to watch. Then, together, we'll see 99 Church Street and WTC Tower 2 top out, and then, at last, WTC Tower 5. Amazing time to be alive.

On a side note, the GS Tower across the street from the Freedom Tower only has about 6 or 7 more floors to go before we top out, so it will be soon.

Fun, fun fun.

Last edited by Ebola; March 4th, 2008 at 10:04 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #3883
Daquan13
BANNED

Yeah, and Silverstein is planning to build another office tower right across Church Street
from Ground Zero. Wonder when THAT'LL get started.

Yeah, it DOES seem like a extremely long slow dragged out process, but eventually, they'll get there.
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #3884
Ebola
BANNED

We'll be there soon enough because FT will be rising before you know it.

Believe it or not, I've never heard of the office tower Larry is planning on Church Street. Let's hope for a great design with a great height. I think it would be safe to assume that it may have a good possibility of being another great addition to the skyline of lower Manhattan since it's true that pretty much every skyscraper he has built or has planned for lower Manhattan since 2002 is or will be a major addition to the skyline with an amazing design.
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #3885
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Yeah, it DOES seem like a extremely long slow dragged out process, but eventually, they'll get there.
Well the pace is so slow because they are still building amongst the shatterd remains off the old WTC towers and its bang straight in the middle off NY!

Good seeing the complex making good progress

Cheers folks
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #3886
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...m-for-a-while/
March 3, 2008, 10:01 am

Farewell to ‘Freedom’ for a While

By David W. Dunlap

The “Freedom Tower” column as it appeared last week, surrounded by the plywood form into which concrete will be poured, encasing and protecting the steel. (Photo: David W. Dunlap/The New York Times)

The “Freedom Tower” column as it appeared on Dec. 19, exactly a year after it had been set in place, when “Freedom” was still visible. (Photo: David W. Dunlap/The New York Times)

A broader view of the east and south perimeter columns of the Freedom Tower, increasingly known as 1 World Trade Center. The “Freedom Tower” column is second from right, surrounded by plywood forms. (Photo: David W. Dunlap/The New York Times)

“Freedom” has disappeared from ground zero.

The blue “Freedom Tower” legend on the very first column to rise there, visible for the last 14 months on the column’s wide flanges, is covered in plywood forms. It will soon be encased forever in concrete.

George E. Pataki presided over the column-setting ceremony on Dec. 19, 2006, in his final days as governor of New York.

After learning last week that the lettering was now completely obscured, meaning that construction was advancing, Mr. Pataki said, “It is another milestone that continues what I knew would be the case — for all the difficulties, for all the naysayers, the brilliant master plan for downtown would move forward.”

The disappearance of the name “Freedom Tower,” which was Governor Pataki’s coinage, sometimes seems to be more than just a byproduct of construction. The building is increasingly referred to in official documents as 1 World Trade Center.

“I think the symbolic nature of ‘Freedom Tower’ is meaningful,” Mr. Pataki said on Friday, “but New Yorkers have a way of using, at the end of the day, what they think works best.” (After all, where do you see Sixth Avenue called by its official name, the Avenue of the Americas, except on street signs, corporate letterheads, real estate advertisements and in The New York Times?)

But then Mr. Pataki, whose office was once in the south tower, thought about the matter a bit more and added a personal note.

“One World Trade Center, on one hand, evokes pride in the sense that the trade center is back,” he said. “On the other hand, we’re not going to replace what was there. We’re going to build beyond what was there.

“It is a little troubling to me that again there is a 1 World Trade Center, because a lot of great people and a lot of true heroes died in 1 World Trade Center,” Mr. Pataki said. “I think that name should be reserved, for those who did die on that horrible day.”
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #3887
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

w00t!

good news.
Thanks TalB.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #3888
Ebola
BANNED

None of us will EVER see that steel again; it's part of history rising now.
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #3889
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

took this today
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #3890
Daquan13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
None of us will EVER see that steel again; it's part of history rising now.

And what do they mean "for a while"?!
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #3891
Harborist

Likes (Received): 0

Hopefully Mr. Dunlap had many centuries in mind whe he used the word "while". He might not have had anything to do with the headline used.
Harborist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #3892
Daquan13
BANNED

Probably not.

He might not know it, but to me, the article makes it sound like some terrorists might want to try another 09-11-style attack on the tower someday.

The reason why I asked what do they mean by "for a while"

Last edited by Daquan13; March 6th, 2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #3893
Landaus60

Likes (Received): 2

I think he means goodbye to the words freedom tower on the steel beam until the actual Freedom Tower is built. At that point you will be able to see the 'Freedom Tower" again.
Landaus60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #3894
JHomer51
BANNED

This has to be one of the OLDEST discussions in town but I don't like the "Freedom" Tower and I think that Trump's plan of rebuilding the old WTC stronger and taller was better.
JHomer51 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #3895
Tymere1980

building an exact replica of the twin towers would bring back painful and hurting memories for many. not such a good idea in my opinion. Also building a new design is refreshing, creative and symbolizes the start something new... we can remember the past but it is not wise to live in it

The new towers will be awesome. I dont think its fair to judge their grandiosity on renders. They will be splendiferous and spectacular once built but we have to be open minded until that comes into fruition. If not then we may miss the beauty and significance of all that is occuring right now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHomer51 View Post
This has to be one of the OLDEST discussions in town but I don't like the "Freedom" Tower and I think that Trump's plan of rebuilding the old WTC stronger and taller was better.

Last edited by Tymere1980; March 6th, 2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: grammar
Tymere1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #3896
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

I understand the message that would have been sent by rebuilding exactly as it was. But the towers were '60's technology and in retrospect, were horribly inefficient. It would be like replacing a wrecked '65 Cadillac with the same car, rather than a 2008 model!!

The new World Trade Center, in toto, will be much grander than what was there before.
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #3897
Northerly

I miss the twins, but there's no doubt the new WTC is going to be amazing. Sadly, I don't think there is any doubt that the Freedom Tower will be a prime target for terrorists - it will sound like a strange thing to say maybe, but all the more reason why there should have been two Freedom Towers not one - removes the focus off one single building. For the record, I don't care how high they go in Dubai, the WTC is the biggest and the best thing going when it comes to supertalls!
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #3898
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
I miss the twins, but there's no doubt the new WTC is going to be amazing. Sadly, I don't think there is any doubt that the Freedom Tower will be a prime target for terrorists - it will sound like a strange thing to say maybe, but all the more reason why there should have been two Freedom Towers not one - removes the focus off one single building. For the record, I don't care how high they go in Dubai, the WTC is the biggest and the best thing going when it comes to supertalls!
No it's not the biggest going on in supertalls! It's a nice project but totally dwarfed by projects like Burj Dubai and Russia Tower! There are other big building going on around the world so i don't think WTC i so special it's the history behind!
Levin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #3899
Daquan13
BANNED

Here we go again.
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #3900
Method101

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
No it's not the biggest going on in supertalls! It's a nice project but totally dwarfed by projects like Burj Dubai and Russia Tower! There are other big building going on around the world so i don't think WTC i so special it's the history behind!

Thanks for clearing that one up for us LOL

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center