daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #39701
Glidescube

Likes (Received): 32

How do the cranes recover their balance?

If the cable(s) were to snap when lifitng a piece of equipment near the weight limit of the crane what keeps the boom snapping back and falling over? How does the crane recover its balance quickly?
Glidescube no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #39702
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option

Likes (Received): 85

I finally got around to making an update for this one! I included pics of the spire installation and there are some really nice pictures taken recently! So enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVVyPoTeiv4
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #39704
DesignerVoodoo

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet the cat View Post
I finally got around to making an update for this one! I included pics of the spire installation and there are some really nice pictures taken recently! So enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVVyPoTeiv4
Nice compilation of photographs but some of them are mine and you do not have my permission nor have you purchased them form me so you need to take them out or take the youtube video down.
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #39705
micrip

Likes (Received): 1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Well, that escalated quickly.
...I wonder if the riggers have an "escalator clause" in their contract? Otherwize the union would say they couldn't do the lift!
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #39706
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Looks like they started a new row of cladding on the southwestern side, where the black scaffolding has already been risen.. check the "1 WTC" cam of the KPI TV cams.. (http://www.video-monitoring.com/cons...itv/silver.htm)

Highcliff liked this post
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #39707
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Would somebody want to travel ON the scalator on its way up?
That's a creepy thought

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #39708
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
Nice compilation of photographs but some of them are mine and you do not have my permission nor have you purchased them form me so you need to take them out or take the youtube video down.
Oh my god he took some of mine too from the Verrazano Bridge! I need to start with watermarks
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #39709
Melb_SuperTall

Likes (Received): 24

Honestly guys if you can't handle people re-distributing your photos just don't put them on the internet. Hundreds (if not thousands) of people have probably already copied them to hard-drives, desktop wallpapers, sent them via email. You can't stop it. Even watermarks can be erased. Welcome to the 21st Century.
Melb_SuperTall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #39710
Lockheed992

Likes (Received): 4

Will anything big happen today?
Lockheed992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #39711
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

With the exception of tomorrow, it's suppose to be quite breezy/windy through Sunday:

NWS NYC Weather Forecast

Gusting to 20 mph at the moment. Winds are going to be stronger up at the top of 1WTC. I wonder what the wind limits are for picking the mast pieces?
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #39712
nyc=wtc

Likes (Received): 3

Base Cladding

They are taking down all of the black safety netting on the south end of the base, so I assume base cladding is about to start in full force.
nyc=wtc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #39713
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Just before xmas and stuff? They really want it finished.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #39714
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

It's about time they actually got serious about getting something done.

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #39715
fooddude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Here's a little video I just made, with a couple shots of the WTC1 and a one57 clip:
fooddude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #39716
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^Wow, didn't know the Manhattan Bridge swayed that much!

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #39717
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
With the exception of tomorrow, it's suppose to be quite breezy/windy through Sunday:

NWS NYC Weather Forecast

Gusting to 20 mph at the moment. Winds are going to be stronger up at the top of 1WTC. I wonder what the wind limits are for picking the mast pieces?

steel erection shuts down at 30 mph sustained.

probably lower with large profile pieces.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #39718
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
^Wow, didn't know the Manhattan Bridge swayed that much!
An article on this problem from Wikipedia:

Since the tracks were on the outer part of the bridge, passing trains caused the structure to tilt and sway. The wobble worsened as trains became longer and heavier. Eventually over years, when one train moved over the bridge one side would be lower than 3 feet than the other side. Something had to be done. In 1956 at a cost of 30 million dollars a repair program was begun. Still, during these repairs trains could still cross the bridge, but many times one of the tracks had to be closed with both travel lanes reduced to one track, further restricting the number and size of the trains crossing. [10]

Even with the 1956 repairs the New York City Department of Transportation had failed to maintain the bridge properly and beginning in April 1986 a major repair program began and because of the large scale scope of these repairs there was blocking of the paths of trains that crossed the bridge and reduction in the number of trains passing between Manhattan and Brooklyn. The north tracks, which had been more heavily used, were closed first. This blockage split the B and D trains into two sections (trains from The Bronx and upper Manhattan terminated at 34th Street – Herald Square, thus suspending express service on Sixth Avenue while trains from Brooklyn section were rerouted to Broadway via express and the south side of the bridge) and rerouted the N via the Montague Street Tunnel.

The north tracks were reopened and the south tracks were closed simultaneously in December 1988, merging again the B and D trains, rerouting the Q to 6th Avenue, and suspending express service on the Broadway Line. After an 18-month delay of procurements, the New York City Transit Authority and politicians pressured the DOT to resume N train service on the bridge's south side on September 30, 1990, despite warnings from engineers that the structure was unsafe and major repairs still had to be made.[11][12] On December 27, state inspectors forced south side service to be rerouted via the tunnel again after discovery of corroded support beams and missing steel plates.[11] Following the controversial firing of the city's deputy commissioner for bridges, David Steinberger and his administrative assistant David Bronstein by Transportation Commissioner Lucius Riccio after this closing, the New York City Council's Transportation committee held an inquiry into the decision to restore subway service on the Manhattan Bridge south side (as well as the safety of all New York City bridges) with reluctance from Riccio and Mayor David Dinkins.[12][13][14][15] They found that the Transportation Department and Transit Authority's lack of cooperative inspection were a major contributor for the deteriorating conditions.[16][17][18]

It's really scary to think about what Sandy would have done to the Manhattan Bridge had it occured thirty years ago!

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #39719
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_SuperTall View Post
Honestly guys if you can't handle people re-distributing your photos just don't put them on the internet. Hundreds (if not thousands) of people have probably already copied them to hard-drives, desktop wallpapers, sent them via email. You can't stop it. Even watermarks can be erased. Welcome to the 21st Century.
Who ever said I'm mad...and I highly doubt even 50 people copied them to hard-drives
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #39720
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

On the bottom of the SE corner of the base, you can see some metal frames that might have been put up recently.
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center