daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #39921
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Whatever, cry me a river
Do you have to be so impolite to other forumers? He only stated his opinion

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #39922
LaRosca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I don't like the design of skyscrapers in the United States, they seem like boxes or they are very old, china for example has better designs and more modern. I hope not having offended anyone with this comment is only a personal opinion.
LaRosca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #39923
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Do you have to be so impolite to other forumers? He only stated his opinion
all he does is whine then complain when others want to whine lol, anyway, i for one like the new base design much more then the old

1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #39924
1Filipe1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Yeah, it was a pretty good year for me as well, considering it's when I was born.
same here lol

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #39925
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
all he does is whine then complain when others want to whine lol, anyway, i for one like the new base design much more then the old
Same here. I hated that triangular prismatic glass. Even if you do prefer the former base cladding, it's better than the originally proposed bare concrete base.

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #39926
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Whatever, cry me a river You sound entitled. You should be grateful you are getting a proper building with a decent height. You could have ended up with a giant bird cage or a tick-tack-toe 800foot monstrosity!
You always post some type of insult everytime your on this forum. Your telling him to get over it, if anything you need to get over it. You act as if your a child.

http://patrioticvoices.com/index.php
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #39927
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

@ RKOWens It would better to reserve judgement until the base has been fully clad, and maybe even lit.
I remember people saying how hideous and dull 4WTC would look, and now opinions seem to have changed in polar ways.

ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #39928
sundrop74
Skyscraper Aficionado

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens4 View Post
This is the final straw that broke the camel's back. I am officially no longer interested in One World Trade Center whatsoever. From April 2007 to earlier this year, not a single day passed when I didn't follow 1WTC's progress on earthcam and these forums. In September 2009 I was able to get access inside the construction site and walk around inside 1WTC's lobby. Back then it was a like a young child with a bright future. It could have been something truly amazing.

However, in the years since, there has been one thing after the other taking away all that was good about 1WTC. First it was the scrapping of the restaurant at the top of the building. Then it was the abandoning of the plan for prismatic glass around the base. Then it was the scrapping of the planned spire, not only resulting in its replacement by a hideously bare antenna but also its promised height of 1776 feet. And now, they have officially abandoned the plan for tapered corners in the podium instead replacing it with a square cube, making the base as dull as it could possibly be and the building overall bottom-heavy. The purpose of the tapering-in base was to make the building look like an upward-turned and elongated diamond. The child with the bright future that I met in September 2009 has grown up to be a violently abused drug addict on the streets. For five years I defended this building from people who disliked it and thought the Twin Towers should have been rebuilt. Although I'm not in favor of the Twin Towers 2 idea, I absolutely hate this building now. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but it's time to stop playing apologist for the Port Authority. I did that after the restaurant and glass prisms, but no more.
Preach it, brother! I agree COMPLETELY. Almost everything that was great about this building has been obliterated.
sundrop74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #39929
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

So the base and the spire were the only things that made you like this building? Come on.

And it's funny, because nobody has seen the final product of these changes yet they are quick to judge. Do people not learn?

ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #39930
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRosca View Post
I don't like the design of skyscrapers in the United States, they seem like boxes or they are very old, china for example has better designs and more modern. I hope not having offended anyone with this comment is only a personal opinion.
LaRosca, I agree 50/50 with your assertion. I agree that skyscrapers in America, especially circa 1960s-1970s, are too simple and naked in design which makes them rather mundane and an eyesore. HOWEVER, Art Deco architecture, circa 1920s-1930s, I believe is the most beautiful and elegant structures the US has to offer. Not only were they about height, but also about beauty. I'd recommend you take a closer observation of these structures and view the details which ornate them. I personally would love to see a revival of that classic style of Art Deco. Imagine a supertall Art Deco tower dominating a skyline even more imposing and prominent than the ESB.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #39931
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens4 View Post
This is the final straw that broke the camel's back. I am officially no longer interested in One World Trade Center whatsoever. From April 2007 to earlier this year, not a single day passed when I didn't follow 1WTC's progress on earthcam and these forums. In September 2009 I was able to get access inside the construction site and walk around inside 1WTC's lobby. Back then it was a like a young child with a bright future. It could have been something truly amazing.

However, in the years since, there has been one thing after the other taking away all that was good about 1WTC. First it was the scrapping of the restaurant at the top of the building. Then it was the abandoning of the plan for prismatic glass around the base. Then it was the scrapping of the planned spire, not only resulting in its replacement by a hideously bare antenna but also its promised height of 1776 feet. And now, they have officially abandoned the plan for tapered corners in the podium instead replacing it with a square cube, making the base as dull as it could possibly be and the building overall bottom-heavy. The purpose of the tapering-in base was to make the building look like an upward-turned and elongated diamond. The child with the bright future that I met in September 2009 has grown up to be a violently abused drug addict on the streets. For five years I defended this building from people who disliked it and thought the Twin Towers should have been rebuilt. Although I'm not in favor of the Twin Towers 2 idea, I absolutely hate this building now. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but it's time to stop playing apologist for the Port Authority. I did that after the restaurant and glass prisms, but no more.
A lot of people do this, even if the ugliest building was being built in the site, they would still say it's the best thing that's even happened to New York.
windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #39932
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
You always post some type of insult everytime your on this forum. Your telling him to get over it, if anything you need to get over it. You act as if your a child.
It wasn't an an insult, it was a reminder to not be so unappreciative and greedy.

BTW I think you have an agenda, stop talking to me in such an impolite way please. Pot calling the Kettle black.

It is boring after a while listening to all the gripers. Although I'm unhappy about the spire I can at least appreciate the fact that we are getting a decent tower. Just a reminder about what he is forgetting. Actually, it is he who is acting poorly. We could have easily had something that resembled a monument rather than a building, remember the bird cage monstrosity, the sky gardens, the tick tack toe building, etc? We should be grateful that something reasonable is being built here that is not far off what it has replaced. Some people act so entitled and selfish and complain about the Port or Larry as if they are somehow betraying them personally just because it isn't exactly to their liking. They forget how difficult it is to coordinate all the issues in such a complex building project and how not everyone can be happy.

Last edited by aquablue; December 30th, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #39933
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
LaRosca, I agree 50/50 with your assertion. I agree that skyscrapers in America, especially circa 1960s-1970s, are too simple and naked in design which makes them rather mundane and an eyesore. HOWEVER, Art Deco architecture, circa 1920s-1930s, I believe is the most beautiful and elegant structures the US has to offer. Not only were they about height, but also about beauty. I'd recommend you take a closer observation of these structures and view the details which ornate them. I personally would love to see a revival of that classic style of Art Deco. Imagine a supertall Art Deco tower dominating a skyline even more imposing and prominent than the ESB.
Most of China's buildings are built surrounded by massive roads and big open spaces and are anti-urban despite their designs. What good is that?
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #39934
1Filipe1
BANNED

Quote:
It wasn't an an insult.

BTW I think you have an agenda, stop talking to me in such an impolite way please. Pot calling the Kettle black.

It is boring after a while listening to all the gripers. Although I'm unhappy about the spire I can at least appreciate the fact that we are getting a decent tower. Just a reminder about what he is forgetting. Actually, it is he who is acting poorly. We could have easily had something that resembled a monument rather than a building, remember the bird cage monstrosity, the sky gardens, the tick tack toe building, etc? We should be grateful that something reasonable is being built here that is not far off what it has replaced. Some people act so entitled and selfish and complain about the Port or Larry as if he they are somehow betraying them personally just because it isn't exactly to their liking. They forget how difficult it is to coordinate all the issues in such a complex building project and how not everyone can be happy.
GO cry a river.. coming from the person whose always complaining that new york has boring designs, im so surprised that your so against a bird cage, i think that would be quite unique dont you think

Old December 30th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #39935
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
GO cry a river.. coming from the person whose always complaining that new york has boring designs, im so surprised that your so against a bird cage, i think that would be quite unique dont you think
NY needs more innovative designs, but bird cages are not the answer. I like my towers to have some substance.
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #39936
1Filipe1
BANNED

Quote:
NY needs more innovative designs, but bird cages are not the answer. I like my towers to have some substance.
so go get a degree in architecture and go design better.. don't complain about designs if you couldn't do better

Old December 30th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #39937
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

Quote:
Most of China's buildings are built surrounded by massive roads and big open spaces and are anti-urban despite their designs. What good is that?
I'm talking about architecture and how America has beautiful architecture. As for China, don't forget the country has over a billion people.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #39938
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
so go get a degree in architecture and go design better.. don't complain about designs if you couldn't do better
Many people seem to agree that the US skyscrapers are often dull boxes and are lacking in design ideas compared to many areas of the world, it isn't just me.

Last edited by aquablue; December 30th, 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #39939
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Whatever, cry me a river
Someone please get him out of here, you're really annoying

I took this a little while ago from Rockaway
image hosted on flickr
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #39940
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
I'm talking about architecture and how America has beautiful architecture.
From some of the proposals for NYC that may soon start, I think we will see more interesting designs in NY and the US as the years go by.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center