daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2012, 05:14 AM   #40001
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
This is the worst thread on SSC. Someone make me moderator.

Who is forcing you to read it?
Go to your settings and unsubscribe.
Problem solved!!
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:24 AM   #40002
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGuy View Post
I think the point are not (only) supercolumns but the super-reinforced core structure of the mostpart of Chinese supertalls. 4 outer lines and further 4 inner and crossed lines of heavy iron plates, all surrounded by the usual rods's grille, and all of this merged into concrete. Same principle goes with supercolumns of course.
The old WTC had none of all of this, only a criss-cross cage of iron trusses.
No concrete at all, not even in the core structure.
In hindsight, there's no wonder with the fact they collapsed.
An aircraft can destroy - we've witnessed that - relatively thin (and 'naked') iron trusses: I seriously doubt it could do the same against thick iron plates merged into concrete.
Just 'academy' of course: let's hope we'll never find it out.
''steel" trusses.
windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:28 AM   #40003
VRS

Likes (Received): 11525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embryo View Post
Damn, Those buildings surrounding 1WTC are ugly and old.

[IMG]http://i46.************/2q2qufq.jpg[/IMG]
just cover by blue glass or gold glass..easy

Highcliff liked this post
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:03 AM   #40004
bbtran72
Oh, come on!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens4 View Post
This is the final straw that broke the camel's back. I am officially no longer interested in One World Trade Center whatsoever. From April 2007 to earlier this year, not a single day passed when I didn't follow 1WTC's progress on earthcam and these forums. In September 2009 I was able to get access inside the construction site and walk around inside 1WTC's lobby. Back then it was a like a young child with a bright future. It could have been something truly amazing.

However, in the years since, there has been one thing after the other taking away all that was good about 1WTC. First it was the scrapping of the restaurant at the top of the building. Then it was the abandoning of the plan for prismatic glass around the base. Then it was the scrapping of the planned spire, not only resulting in its replacement by a hideously bare antenna but also its promised height of 1776 feet. And now, they have officially abandoned the plan for tapered corners in the podium instead replacing it with a square cube, making the base as dull as it could possibly be and the building overall bottom-heavy. The purpose of the tapering-in base was to make the building look like an upward-turned and elongated diamond. The child with the bright future that I met in September 2009 has grown up to be a violently abused drug addict on the streets. For five years I defended this building from people who disliked it and thought the Twin Towers should have been rebuilt. Although I'm not in favor of the Twin Towers 2 idea, I absolutely hate this building now. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but it's time to stop playing apologist for the Port Authority. I did that after the restaurant and glass prisms, but no more.
I also agree with you. I too have lost interest and have not posted since summer of last year, it's too bad that 1WTC is not being built like it was planned.
bbtran72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:15 AM   #40005
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens4 View Post
This is the final straw that broke the camel's back. I am officially no longer interested in One World Trade Center whatsoever. From April 2007 to earlier this year, not a single day passed when I didn't follow 1WTC's progress on earthcam and these forums. In September 2009 I was able to get access inside the construction site and walk around inside 1WTC's lobby. Back then it was a like a young child with a bright future. It could have been something truly amazing.

However, in the years since, there has been one thing after the other taking away all that was good about 1WTC. First it was the scrapping of the restaurant at the top of the building. Then it was the abandoning of the plan for prismatic glass around the base. Then it was the scrapping of the planned spire, not only resulting in its replacement by a hideously bare antenna but also its promised height of 1776 feet. And now, they have officially abandoned the plan for tapered corners in the podium instead replacing it with a square cube, making the base as dull as it could possibly be and the building overall bottom-heavy. The purpose of the tapering-in base was to make the building look like an upward-turned and elongated diamond. The child with the bright future that I met in September 2009 has grown up to be a violently abused drug addict on the streets. For five years I defended this building from people who disliked it and thought the Twin Towers should have been rebuilt. Although I'm not in favor of the Twin Towers 2 idea, I absolutely hate this building now. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but it's time to stop playing apologist for the Port Authority. I did that after the restaurant and glass prisms, but no more.
Man, get a life. It's pathetic to see people getting this worked up over something so inconsequential.
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:28 AM   #40006
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Some of these comments are disgusting
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:36 AM   #40007
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

Taken today. Man it's cold.

Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:57 AM   #40008
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

is the black netting coming down for good? Hopefully we'll see cladding rise at a faster rate.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:14 AM   #40009
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Wow its weird to see it without the netting on top lol good to see its finally almost getting done.. Nice picture as well

1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:18 AM   #40010
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Man, get a life. It's pathetic to see people getting this worked up over something so inconsequential.
Your response is offensive. A simple "I don't agree" would have been enough.
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:23 AM   #40011
sylar82

Likes (Received): 19

This is my first post on here but I have been following and reading these posts on here every day for the last two years. I am wondering one thing. Larry Silverstein is an old man. If he dies before the buildings are built who takes over for him? I wonder if they will try to carry out what's left of his dream for this site or will they hack it up and take it a different way.
sylar82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:43 AM   #40012
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Ironic, considering your reaction to his comment.
windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:33 AM   #40013
Towersville

Likes (Received): 755

Are they working in the inside too or not yet??

---T O W E R S V I L L E ---
Towersville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:46 AM   #40014
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

LAF2 was born in 1997? Jesus Christ, I was working at the original WTC when you were a pup. Damn I feel old now.

image hosted on flickr

Port Liberte Panoramic Night View by michael.2999.pics, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center (aka Freedom Tower) by pmarella, on Flickr

Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:48 AM   #40015
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylar82 View Post
Larry Silverstein is an old man. If he dies before the buildings are built who takes over for him? I wonder if they will try to carry out what's left of his dream for this site or will they hack it up and take it a different way.
Larry doesn't own this building, the Port Authority does, so if he passes, it wouldn't have any effect on this particular building. It would, on the other hand, affect buildings 2-4. I think his son Roger Silverstein is second-in-command at Silverstein Properties, so I think he'd take over the reins.

Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:27 AM   #40016
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
This is the worst thread on SSC. Someone make me moderator.
Amen!!! very frustrating to visit this thread and always see the same 4 people arguing with each other.

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:48 AM   #40017
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

It's the Pyongyang thread but for Americans
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:12 PM   #40018
net222
Joined on a peculiar day

Likes (Received): 120

Oh yeah, bring that netting down
net222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 03:26 PM   #40019
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Wish they kept the restuarant in the plan. Would be a great view.

deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:26 PM   #40020
pablord

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordschleife View Post
Taken today. Man it's cold.

Looks like just 14 floor to get the top with the cladding , i can wait to see it finish the cladding . Lovely veiw
pablord no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center