daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2013, 10:53 PM   #40061
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Incredible pic. 1WTc looks so dominating in it

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:13 PM   #40062
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

.... Look, height isn't an end, it's a means. The end is the building. The goal is to create a structure that has a specific use. The height is one element in that creation. It isn't a feature of design (unless we're talking about spires and antennae) but of function.

If we were talking about 2 buildings, then yes, we would be looking at two 600m+ towers (holding constant the amount of sq. ft. that the current complex will have); however, he decided to go the current route and construct a complex. Which, to be honest, is a lot smarter.

So can we please move beyond this? I'm tired of getting updates to this thread that are useless and banal. The Twin Towers are dead. Gone. Never. Coming. Back. In any form. Whatsoever.

*edit: typos
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:14 PM   #40063
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
.... Look, height isn't an end, it's a means. The end is the building. The goal is to create a structure that has a specific use. The height is one element in that creation. It isn't a feature of design (unless we're talking about spires and antennae) but of function.

If we were talking about 2 buildings, then yes, we would be looking at two 600+ towers (in terms of sq. ft. of the current comolex); however, he decided to go the current route and contract a complex. Which, to be honest, is a lot smarter.

So can we please move beyond this? I'm tired of getting updates to this thread that are useless and banal. The twin Towers are dead. Gone. Never. Coming. Back. In any form. Whatsoever.
Aye mate
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:27 PM   #40064
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Any updates on the base cladding?

Highcliff liked this post
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:28 PM   #40065
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

updated antenna mast model.

image hosted on flickr

Spire 2 by PMadFlyer, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Spire3 by PMadFlyer, on Flickr
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:32 PM   #40066
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Looks very good. I wonder when they will place the first piece. Should be soon since the holidays are just ending
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:32 PM   #40067
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead262 View Post
Any updates on the base cladding?
they're making good progress squaring off the base. They're currently working on the bunker bottom section of the base where concrete is visible
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:16 AM   #40068
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Looks very good. I wonder when they will place the first piece. Should be soon since the holidays are just ending
And the weather will be good for a change. Sunny skies are currently forecasted for the next seven days, with temperatures being a little warmer than earlier predicted. The wind shouldn't be too bad, hopefully.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:05 AM   #40069
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordschleife View Post
Taken today. Man it's cold.

Time for those BPC towers to get a re-clad......
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:38 AM   #40070
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

Great pictures!!! Its looking so good now...!

Dise˝o, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:03 AM   #40071
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

dboxcreative

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:11 AM   #40072
VRS

Likes (Received): 11525

if complete like that, probably will become the most elegant n beautiful tower in American continental
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:27 AM   #40073
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

Not unless they make the spire with the covering radome as it was supposed to be.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:57 AM   #40074
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Let me fix it a bit

Yep, that's more like it
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM   #40075
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

I am not trying to complain but why is the antenna/spire designed so strong yet they need to put guy wires around it ? I would have thought they would design it...bury it deep enough into the tower that it could stand there all by itself...like the ESB mast way on top of it's spire......what's going on ? maybe they could put guy wires around the building as well............sheeeezzzz
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:50 PM   #40076
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

the amount of whining and bickering around here is depressing.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:26 PM   #40077
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Damn, it looked so much better with the spire enclosure.

deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:52 PM   #40078
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I am not trying to complain but why is the antenna/spire designed so strong yet they need to put guy wires around it ? I would have thought they would design it...bury it deep enough into the tower that it could stand there all by itself...like the ESB mast way on top of it's spire......what's going on ? maybe they could put guy wires around the building as well............sheeeezzzz
Maybe those wires are some newly adapted security measure for hurricanes which wasn't in place when they built the other antennas in the city. Seeing how the crane on 157 was obliterated by Sandy I can imagine they want to prevent these kinds of things at all costs. But that is just a guess

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #40079
kjankowski
Mr.

Likes (Received): 0

wow these buildings looks great!
kjankowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:06 PM   #40080
Portskydiver

Likes (Received): 3

I'm just glad we got a new building and complex. Who cares if the observation deck is some floors lower than the old one? Be glad that there at least WILL be an observation deck! The antenna isn't a big problem with me either. Yeah it looks kind of weird to me, but after a little while it will look fine! Just like the old WTC, it looked odd at first, but over time it just became a symbol to the world.

I tend to care much more about these things, but considering what this tower represents and why it is being built, I am just glad that the building is finally coming together. In ten years when (hopefully) the complex is complete and I go and visit it, it won't matter if the base is missing it's originally planned wedges or the radome is not present. To the newer generations who did not have a chance to even see the old complex in person (including me), it won't make a difference when they actually do visit. They will be going up to a new observation deck and seeing the beauty of the New York City skyline from a vantage point never seen from before that has a new position and fašade. People will still make memories and have a great time there, and you know what, maybe you will too.

Just be appreciative of the fact that there will be an observation deck at all, that there is a new antenna, and everything else that the tower and complex have to offer. Because the developers and architects could have just done away with all of that and said, "let's just make some new office or residential towers with a memorial park. Nothing special though, because we don't want a repeat of what happened before." (Not that they would ever want that again)
Portskydiver no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center