daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #40401
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Wow it's gonna be so strange seeing the black netting gone after almost two years on the skyline
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #40402
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1671

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
Great news!

Squaring off on the south western side is also coming along nicely, hope they can start with the base cladding soon..

image hosted on flickr

New York Trip by hawaii, on Flickr
That is so wack. I don't tend to post here often but as a New Yorker i've been following closely the updates. I hate this decision to square off the tower. It really disappoints me
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #40403
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

idk why so many people dislike the base lol i like the new design much more
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #40404
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

I like the new cladding better, but also prefer the original shape. I can deal with it, though.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #40405
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

I got over the base re-design. I don't think I'll ever get over the 'spire' but I think the base will turn out to be stunning. The glass fins set at odd angles concept is pretty unique.
Old January 16th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #40406
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

The CBS evening news just ran a short segment on WTC1. While I don't give great credence to CTBUH ranking, or at least don't consider it more official than anyone else's opinion, ironically it probably won't matter.

The media (and people in general) love to sensationalize and to tell stories about the biggest or tallest or fastest. With that in mind, it isn't surprising the news is still reporting that installation of the steel "spire" began today and that the building will be "the tallest in the western hemisphere, a symbolic 1776 feet". Add to this the factoid about 1776 and it is likely that the general public will always consider 1776 feet to be the height, even if CTBUH correctly recognizes it as an "antenna" rather than "spire" by their own definition.

I wonder what the residents of Chicago or Toronto have to say about that.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #40407
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

I think the number of people in the world who really care would fit comfortably inside this one tower.
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #40408
NewYorkSkyline117

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I like the new cladding better, but also prefer the original shape. I can deal with it, though.
Well you're gonna have to deal with it no matter what unfortunately
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #40409
dfiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It's because angles can take more force than 90 degree sides, I believe.
Do you remember where you heard or read this? I'd be interested in learning more.

Without an explanation, it seems more like layman confusion rooted in the base indeed being built like a bunker. Every design aspect could easily be attributed to that even though it isn't likely the case. Vertical columns would best support load from above. Bracing of those columns and additional concrete would seem to be the optimal structural solution, not creating an overhang 180' tall.
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #40410
dfiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
I think the number of people in the world who really care would fit comfortably inside this one tower.
lol, I get what you're saying. Us skyscraper geeks aren't exactly the general population.

But someone must care if they're showing it on prime time TV and even advertising the story prior to it airing. Whether it makes sense or not, this is a national icon and many people are emotional about it, even though not following the construction closely. Because of that, I'm betting that the 1776 number is what will become the generally recognized height simply because it is taller and that makes people feel good.
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #40411
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygon View Post
Yes, the chamfered corners make the base less clunky. I don't think they square off the corners to save money from cladding at angles. It is because the new cladding plan, which uses glass fins, requires rectangle facades. But the new cladding plan does save money while still makes the base look shimmering. Prismatic glass would cost a lot.
Perhaps 50 or 100 years from now, when it's time to renovate 1WTC, they will restore the chamfered corners. I like both designs. It would be cool to see the prismatic glass design (or a similar version) on another building somewhere, if it can be done safely.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #40412
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Well you're gonna have to deal with it no matter what unfortunately
I meant deal with it without complaining.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #40413
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Do you remember where you heard or read this? I'd be interested in learning more.

Without an explanation, it seems more like layman confusion rooted in the base indeed being built like a bunker. Every design aspect could easily be attributed to that even though it isn't likely the case. Vertical columns would best support load from above. Bracing of those columns and additional concrete would seem to be the optimal structural solution, not creating an overhang 180' tall.
I think it allows greater resistance against bomb attacks and allow the diagonal bracing to work better, but I don't know, I have no idea what engineering went in the base. I remember thinking the champhers were part of the design until I was corrected.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #40414
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

from http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/pr...adLine_id=1738

Construction crews at the 16-acre World Trade Center site this morning installed the first piece of the 408-foot spire that will raise the height of the iconic One World Trade Center to 1,776 feet -- when it will then become the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.

Ironworkers and crane operators used two cranes to lift and guide the first section of steel into place. Crews guided the first piece, which is the heaviest section and weighs more than 67 tons, into a six-foot concrete base on the building’s roof.

Workers had hoisted the first section to the top of the building on December 12, less than 24 hours after it arrived by barge at Pier 25 in Lower Manhattan. The largest piece, along with eight other large sections of spire, traveled 1,500 nautical miles down the Atlantic seaboard from Valleyfield, Quebec in late November. Nine additional smaller sections of spire arrived via truck last month.

Installation of all 18 pieces of spire and three communication rings will take two to three months, depending on wind and weather conditions. A stainless steel beacon weighing almost six tons will be the final piece put into position, bringing the building to its final height of 1,776 feet.

Six tons for the beacon? That's a lot.. Let's hope for good weather and low wind speeds..

btw direct links for earthcams are working again, hopefully for longer this time..
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #40415
th0mth0m

Likes (Received): 1

Taken from http://www.***********/files/Manhatta...rtual-Tour/2-2

Bushmaster liked this post
th0mth0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #40416
Curtain

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
lol, I get what you're saying. Us skyscraper geeks aren't exactly the general population.

But someone must care if they're showing it on prime time TV and even advertising the story prior to it airing. Whether it makes sense or not, this is a national icon and many people are emotional about it, even though not following the construction closely. Because of that, I'm betting that the 1776 number is what will become the generally recognized height simply because it is taller and that makes people feel good.

It will make the news if CTBUH rules the spire has no architectural merit and 1WTC is demoted to 3rd tallest in the US, but there will always be a spiritual height of 1776. The only way CTBUH can get away with it is to classify the spire as part of the architecture purely and solely because of Libeskind's symbolic height of 1,776 feet is reached by its design, as there is no other artistic expression in the spire left by the architect. It would be a once of ruling because otherwise that opens the door to other communications spires that could claim to have symbolic heights also. There's been plenty of time for submitting and looking at plans and I think CTBUH are stalling.
Curtain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #40417
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I think it allows greater resistance against bomb attacks and allow the diagonal bracing to work better, but I don't know, I have no idea what engineering went in the base. I remember thinking the champhers were part of the design until I was corrected.
I'd say it depends on the angle of the shockwave of a bomb but I'm no pro, so that is just my guess

Btw, if the CTBUH rules this antenna to be a spire it will loose all credibility in my opinion. There are already countless people (including me) who disagree with their measurement methods but I bet that if they say this is a spire that number of people will drastically grow.

bigreach liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #40418
Vito Corleone

Likes (Received): 324

The bottom line is that the current design of the antenna is really no different than the antenna on the original 1WTC. If it is included in the official height of the building, the CTBUH will have to revise their height criteria, and then have to change all of the historical rankings of the world's tallest buildings. And yes, I don't see on any reason for the delay on the decision.
Vito Corleone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #40419
NewYorkSkyline117

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0mth0m View Post
This looks nearly two years old
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #40420

Likes (Received): 999

The first part of the antenna is in place !
http://www.zie.nl/video/algemeen/Nie...t/m1nz7grfmsrt (Dutch)
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center