daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #40441
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

My dad had a friend who would repair ones around here. At the time (around 25 years ago), he got paid $200 an hour, and no matter how long it took to repair, he'd get paid for 8 hours of work, so $1600 a day was the least he'd get paid. I'm pretty sure it's just voluntary, and there are no requirements except for just listening to what you need to do. It'd be a great way to earn lots of money.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #40442
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
That is exactly 2000 feet, which is supposedly the limit imposed by the FAA to protect airplanes. Seems the two in ND got exceptions somehow, or perhaps they were built before the limit was set. Hopefully exceptions can be made for skyscrapers if anyone ever wants to build that high in the US.
Yep. Feet is measured here in the US, not meters.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #40443
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
I wasn't kidding when I said there are "zillions" of them. I count 97 on that list that are taller than 541m/1776ft. The three listed as being in Auburn, North Carolina are very close to me. Two of those were completely destroyed by ice in the late 80's and had to be rebuilt. Will never forget that. A very thick layer of freezing rain built up on the guys, then melted unevenly, putting too much weight on one side of each tower. 1WTC's mast looks strong enough that we don't ever have to worry about ice build-up.

I hadn't thought of that. Guess they could be trying to keep them free of ice and snow so that they can do a quick lift when the winds and logistics are just right.
Yea but it also makes me wonder why some of them arent covered?
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #40444
73enforcer

Likes (Received): 6

What's with the weird colour of the antenna though
White and back similar to the old one would look nice
I'm a fan of white ones tho, like Chicagos scrapers
73enforcer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #40445
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

Seven rows high now. Strange that they lower the panels way off to the right of where they are setting them.

[IMG]http://i48.************/293zgpg.png[/IMG]
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #40446
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

I have a feeling that a time lapse of the glass panels going in would look very much like a game of Tetris. It could be that the first non-mechanical floor above is almost completely filled with panels and there are only a few open areas to lower them from.
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #40447
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I really love how after so much waiting they are now cladding the building at lightning speed
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #40448
pak star

Likes (Received): 1942

credit to Billgates[/QUOTE]
Very nice design beautiful tower. love that view
pak star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #40449
chazmania

Likes (Received): 31

Seems like they are lowering the panels from the observation floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
I have a feeling that a time lapse of the glass panels going in would look very much like a game of Tetris. It could be that the first non-mechanical floor above is almost completely filled with panels and there are only a few open areas to lower them from.
I assume they set up a rail system to move the panels horizonally and then lower them to the correct floor. Much more room on the open observation floor to store and setup the panels.
chazmania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #40450
chazmania

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
That is exactly 2000 feet, which is supposedly the limit imposed by the FAA to protect airplanes. Seems the two in ND got exceptions somehow, or perhaps they were built before the limit was set. Hopefully exceptions can be made for skyscrapers if anyone ever wants to build that high in the US.
FAA does not have a height restriction however they automatically consider a tower above 2000ft not to be in the public interest. If it can be argued that a tower above 2000ft is in the public interest then the FAA will allow it (It has only happened once).
chazmania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #40451
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 49

Sorry to drift off topic but I just wanted to respond to the 2,000 ft limit imposed by the FAA. For the most part I think it's rather foolish because pilots routinely navigate around much larger and taller obstacles everyday which of course are mountains. My home town of Butte, Montana is surrounded by mountains, one of which is the Continental Divide which is very close to the airport and would dwarf the skyline of most cities. Many other airports are similarly situated with even taller and more imposing terrain. Of course we shouldn't put a 2,000 ft tall building in the direct flight path near the runway but I think the FAA could be much more reasonable.
But getting back to the topic at hand I'm hoping to see a photo soon of the first parts of the antenna/spire that I read had been installed. I think that once we see what this actually looks like on the building we can make a better judgement as to whether or not we feel that the 1776 ft height designation is really credible. Those pieces looked huge on the ground but they might look very small once it's all assembled at the top of such a large building.
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #40452
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22533

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
lol, I can see it now.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #40453
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

lots of progress today as seen from the earthcam http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/skyline/

[IMG]http://oi49.************/2dmeas4.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Hudson11; January 17th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #40454
jesuz1970
we are the world

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
I wonder if the Subway trailer is still in there somewhere? Have seen anything about it for a couple years now!
???????
jesuz1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #40455
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

from the kpitv cams http://www.video-monitoring.com/cons...itv/silver.htm
[IMG]http://oi49.************/24g360i.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #40456
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuz1970 View Post
???????
There used to be a Subway trailer to supply food to the workers, Subway as in the chain fast food sandwich place
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #40457
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

The more I see of the slotted shape taking form the more I fall in love with it, it really gives the tower some character you can tell already.
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #40458
VictorBND

Likes (Received): 113

I think It's gonna take a bit of time till we get used to see the ventilation holes in the tower it's just like seeing one of those fantastic renderings which are posted here... I still remembering the days when the base was starting to rise and now the whole tower is almost over...

By the way... I found a fantastic photo on Skyscraperpage...

image hosted on flickr

I like the contrast between old and new, and that makes me feel like...

JoakoLC liked this post
VictorBND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #40459
tumbleweed_tx

Likes (Received): 35

they removed the Subway trailer a long time ago
tumbleweed_tx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #40460
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Sorry to drift off topic but I just wanted to respond to the 2,000 ft limit imposed by the FAA. For the most part I think it's rather foolish because pilots routinely navigate around much larger and taller obstacles everyday which of course are mountains. My home town of Butte, Montana is surrounded by mountains, one of which is the Continental Divide which is very close to the airport and would dwarf the skyline of most cities. Many other airports are similarly situated with even taller and more imposing terrain. Of course we shouldn't put a 2,000 ft tall building in the direct flight path near the runway but I think the FAA could be much more reasonable.
Off topic but a fair question so I'll take a stab at a response.

I would guess the reason that they have height limits in a place like NY is the airspace is stunningly congested. There are three airports in very close proximity to each other and to Manhattan. Planes have to fly at very low altitude to land and have to have flight paths that go close to Manhattan due to the fact that they have to put flight paths everywhere to handle all the different runways for all the airports. Whenever I land at LaGuardia I am amazed at how close we come to tall buildings ( I love it for the views but I recognize it is potentially hazardous).

This is different from mountainous areas where 1) obviously you can't put a limit on a natural object and 2) the airports there are generally small and the planes much fewer and further between each other making it much less complicated to arrange flight paths that avoid obstacles.

In short, the extreme aircraft density that exists in the NYC area (and possibly some other big cities as well) is what accounts for the strict limits. Don't know this for a fact but I think it is very likely to be true.

Last edited by 600West218; January 18th, 2013 at 04:56 AM.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center