daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #40701
TheCap'n

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
To Swiddle, thejacko and other interested

The covering of some mast sections staged at the base is not to avoid ice damage, they will have to face worse conditions up in the sky. They are covered to protect from weather crews working on electrical conduits for beacon. Electrical contractor requested to work at ground level instead of way up in the sky.

This week cranes might not work due to weather forecast, current schedule is to get the whole mast erected before 2Q.

Otie, good info! I don't blame the EC for wanting to get some of that conduit/wiring work done on the ground vs. way up there. Any idea if they plan to install/do any preliminary aiming of the light fixtures for the platforms while still on the ground, or will all of that take place up top once the entire structure is in place? (By "platforms" I mean the smaller permanent platforms @ every 40' above the guy-wires)

Unrelated & Separate point of note: a week or so ago I read a quote that said the beacon was 67 tons or something like that. I'm guessing they meant the very top section of the structure, because the "beacon" is the actual LED-paneled rotating fixture inside the top piece and I think it's exponentially lighter than 67 tons.
TheCap'n no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #40702
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

The 67 ton number refers to last piece No. 17, which houses the beacon. I don't recall seeing lighting fixtures at the platforms, can you elaborate?

Kanto liked this post
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #40703
TheCap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
The 67 ton number refers to last piece No. 17, which houses the beacon. I don't recall seeing lighting fixtures at the platforms, can you elaborate?
There will be LED fixtures on each of the platforms beginning at Level 15 and up.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #40704
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

I hate how this building used used an antenna to increase its height. Wuhan Greenland Centre, Goldin Finance 117, Chow Tai Fook...all these buildings under construction in China have similar/greater height, and they don't have antennas.
Is it ok to add a 100-meter spire to a 200 meter tall building and give it supertall status?

Kanto, bigreach liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #40705
TheCap'n

PMad, which section is that rendering?
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #40706
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
I hate how this building used used an antenna to increase its height. Wuhan Greenland Centre, Goldin Finance 117, Chow Tai Fook...all these buildings under construction in China have similar/greater height, and they don't have antennas.
Is it ok to add a 100-meter spire to a 200 meter tall building and give it supertall status?
It is what it is. There is no right or wrong yet I don't like that practice either. However, at least NYC builds for demand and doesn't build space that won't be needed which could result in a glut of space down the road. The spire was built to that height because it is a symbolic height of a very significant building (1776, date of independence of the USA) and for a very important antenna.

Again, they can't even fill this tower yet with tenants (not to mention the stalled WTC2) and u want a taller one? At some point your have to be practical, and that is how it is done. I don't understand why you are comparing the towers of an emerging market with NYC anyway, apples and oranges. Totally different situations and stages of growth.

OnePointWest liked this post

Last edited by aquablue; January 25th, 2013 at 07:10 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #40707
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

^
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #40708
giggler

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
It is what it is. There is no right or wrong yet I don't like that practice either. However, at least NYC builds for demand and doesn't build space that won't be needed which could result in a glut of space down the road. The spire was built to that height because it is a symbolic height of a very significant building (1776, date of independence of the USA) and for a very important antenna.

Again, they can't even fill this tower yet with tenants (not to mention the stalled WTC2) and u want a taller one? At some point your have to be practical, and that is how it is done. I don't understand why you are comparing the towers of an emerging market with NYC anyway, apples and oranges. Totally different situations and stages of growth.
Agree.

It's like the burj whatever, Built for publicity and not for demand. Look at that building now, years have passed since it opened and it's still a ******* ghost town.
giggler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #40709
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
I think the ESB has a perfect flow all the way to the roof. Wish they could have tapered the building so it looks more like a point. "I know it's impossible now" but 20 more floors of tapering would make the mast look much more dominate.. I know some of you will blaze me 4 this quote but look how cool ESB and Chrysler look.
No, you're absolutely right. They do have more flow, and it's beautiful. However, I really like this design, so I'd like to keep it.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #40710
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
In this case, I can't say I object to 1WTC's mast, considering it has so much space due to its gigantic floorplan. However, I would in nearly any other case.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #40711
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Yes because in China there are no towers with big ass spires and / or crowns right? Please.

Last edited by HK999; January 25th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #40712
LexISguy

Likes (Received): 214

In the end 1WTC may be the 3rd tallest in the US in terms of roof height, if it is ruled the antenna is not counted, and most likely bumped to 4th behind 432 Park Avenue in a couple of years.
LexISguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #40713
SSD Darth Vader

Likes (Received): 775

yes, 1976 is the date of your Independense, why they didn't make This roof hight? 1776 feet(541.32 metres)-is roof hight-this will be better, than 1326 feet roof...
SSD Darth Vader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #40714
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

^ You need to check up on some facts.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #40715
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD Darth Vader View Post
yes, 1976 is the date of your Independense

I just spit orange juice out of my nose when i read that
I'm sure that was a mistype.
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #40716
Otie
Researcher

Swiddle, and other interested:

Plan is to get 3 mast sections on position, then they'll proceed to plumb, shim and grout the thing to correct out of plumb issue. As stated before, it's a matter of a quarter of an inch.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #40717
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!

Likes (Received): 353

It looks like they have brought up another section of the mast. I only count 9 sections at the base now. There was 10.

Earthcam: http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...lleniumhilton1
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #40718
Otie
Researcher

Would you like me to do a diagram of current progress?
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #40719
TheCap'n

yes, please!
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #40720
Otie
Researcher

In that case, I will need feedback from you guys.

This time I'd prefer to do a 3D diagram, giving it an appearance of an infographic rather than a blueprint-type diagram, bad thing is rulers and measurements will be removed, eliminating elevation information but adding information about progress on different areas, trivias, etc...

Which one would you prefer? Feedback, fedback folks!

beta vs previous

Chapelo, NYBOY1975, Kanto, OnePointWest, Tim98 and 5 others liked this post
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center