daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #4121
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

I didnt mean first floor as in B1, I meant that as the first floor that isn't on the bedrock
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #4122
RealThang
Registered Fanatic

Likes (Received): 0

B3 is the floor you're referring to. Most of the new floor now visible is B2. Just to be clear.
RealThang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #4123
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

The memorial takes up too much room IMO. Please don't flame me on this comment; what I'm saying is that the Port Authority is allocating a large portion of the site for a memorial. The site being the place where the towers once stood. Why not turn France or Germany into large memorials, plenty of people lost their lives there during World War II. The families of WTC victims have too much power and are stalling the interests of business and progress in New York.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #4124
-Michelangelo-

Likes (Received): 61

Where is Daniel Libeskind...??? He should take over and build his original design...!!!!!!!!!
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #4125
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Michelangelo- View Post
Where is Daniel Libeskind...??? He should take over and build his original design...!!!!!!!!!

Libeskind was canned from Ground Zero as a designer. He fought too much with Silverstein an Childs over the design of the tower.

He sometimes resurfaces when a special event comes up.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #4126
Medusah

wait a second here. did i hear someone say DUBAI is on its way to being the number one financial center in the world.

hehe....
Medusah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #4127
Northerly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Libeskind was canned from Ground Zero as a designer. He fought too much with Silverstein an Childs over the design of the tower.

He sometimes resurfaces when a special event comes up.
Is that correct? I thought Liebeskind is still credited as the "co-designer" of Freedom Tower along with Slivertein's architect?
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #4128
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexan87 View Post
I have so far see the WTC site in 2002, 2005, 2007 and 2008. The progress is slow but very evident! I can't wait to see DT once everything is built! I love the financial district anyway, so this is just great news for me!

And please, not everyone wants to talk about Dubai all the time. Yes, we're all very proud of you and your tower and your mall and your islands, but I remember a time when each thread was devoted to the said topic. Please stay on topic or stay out.
Problem #1: Why is people assume that development started in 2001-2002? Its best compare to 2006.

Hello people!!!, its took almost 3-4 years to just recover millions of bones. Let me refresh people's retarded brains: almost 2000 people died there!!!

Problem #2: the final touches weren't completed until few years ago so don't even f*cking say construction is too long!!! I don't hear any bitching about SHANGHAI World Financial Center although construction on THAT tower started in 1997.

Problem #3: here is f*cking timeline http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4951346.stm
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #4129
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
Is that correct? I thought Liebeskind is still credited as the "co-designer" of Freedom Tower along with Slivertein's architect?

Yes, he WAS co-designer of the tower, but I think he was paid off and shown the door.

Also, since the tower was redesigned anyway, his plan were put to bed after the tower was given its present facelift.

Last edited by Daquan13; March 28th, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #4130
WestTexan87
Plattsburgh to Abilene

Likes (Received): 8

Thank you webeagle for your ridiculous rant. I am well aware of what has happened at the WTC site since 2001. I am no ignorant idiot. My comment was supposed to express my excitement at watching it turn from a horrific disaster site to a bustling construction site. And even if it wasn't, what's your problem? Chill out dude.
WestTexan87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #4131
WestTexan87
Plattsburgh to Abilene

Likes (Received): 8

Oh, and just to reassert my credentials, my mother was born in NYC, i lived there for part of my childhood, virtually all of my extended family lives in the NYC area, and I have been to the city countless times on vacation. We lost family friends in the disaster and I still hate looking at the skyline without the Twins towering overhead. So trust me, I know quite a bit about the timeline and I know about bone recovery. I even reread my post several times, trying to figure out how you could misconstrue my writing so horribly and I don't get it. I never lament about the slow pace, I never discount the deaths, and I never chastise anyone for taking their time. Seriously, webeagle, what a silly silly post.
WestTexan87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #4132
Tumbling Dice

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexan87 View Post
Oh, and just to reassert my credentials, my mother was born in NYC, i lived there for part of my childhood, virtually all of my extended family lives in the NYC area, and I have been to the city countless times on vacation. We lost family friends in the disaster and I still hate looking at the skyline without the Twins towering overhead. So trust me, I know quite a bit about the timeline and I know about bone recovery. I even reread my post several times, trying to figure out how you could misconstrue my writing so horribly and I don't get it. I never lament about the slow pace, I never discount the deaths, and I never chastise anyone for taking their time. Seriously, webeagle, what a silly silly post.
Top man, don't let him get to you mate. You get all sorts on the net.
Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #4133
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
Problem #1: Why is people assume that development started in 2001-2002? Its best compare to 2006.

Hello people!!!, its took almost 3-4 years to just recover millions of bones. Let me refresh people's retarded brains: almost 2000 people died there!!!

Problem #2: the final touches weren't completed until few years ago so don't even f*cking say construction is too long!!! I don't hear any bitching about SHANGHAI World Financial Center although construction on THAT tower started in 1997.

Problem #3: here is f*cking timeline http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4951346.stm
Quite a striking comment your making there. To get to the point, this tower IS being constructed slowly compared with other's, you're interpreting his comment too pessimistically, we KNOW that people died there, who said they didn't? who says the towers are being constructed slowly because the workers are incompetent, Americans are inferior Et cetera? He's only commenting on what he sees; its merely a statement my friend, not a flaming comment.

Last edited by storms991; March 29th, 2008 at 03:17 AM.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #4134
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Quite a striking comment your making there. To get to the point, this tower IS being constructed slowly compared with other's, you're interpreting his comment too pessimistically, we KNOW that people died there, who said they didn't? who says the towers are being constructed because the workers are incompetent, Americans are inferior Et cetera? He's only commenting on what he sees; its merely a statement my friend, not a flaming comment.
Quite a dumb comment you're making there..eh? Who said anything about him being American. You probably dont realize this but New York and the US in general has a very diverse population. Whats with the generalizations about Americans?

Ahh....I see your profile mentions London.....I guess, according to your logic, you're a violent soccer hooligan with pale skin and rotten yellow teeth?....eh mate?? More European jealousy and self loathing disguised as sophistication?...eh??
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #4135
mole

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
To get to the point, this tower IS being constructed slowly compared with other's

It's greased lightening compared to the never-ending saga of the London Bridge Tower.....
mole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #4136
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

I meant to post this originally when it made the headlines, but I forgot about it until now.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02262008...ance_99273.htm
PA IS SHUT OUT OF WTC INSURANCE

By KATI CORNELL

BIG ZERO: A judge says leasing the Twin Towers to Ground Zero developer...

...Larry Sivlerstein made the PA ineligible for insurance money.

February 26, 2008 -- The Port Authority lost its right to collect insurance money on the destroyed Twin Towers - and much of the World Trade Center - when it leased the property two months before the 9/11 terror attacks, a federal judge ruled yesterday.

In a written opinion, Manhattan federal Judge Barbara Jones limited claims by the New York-New Jersey Port Authority to buildings that weren't leased to developer Larry Silverstein.

The judge noted Silverstein had his own insurance.

The ruling, which came in response to a lawsuit by a collection of insurance companies, allows the PA's claims to go forward on World Trade Center 6 and the PATH train station.

A PA spokesman had no immediate comment on the latest twist in the many battles over insurance spawned by the destruction of the towers that anchored Manhattan's financial center.

The amount of insurance money the bistate agency will get is a critical issue, partly because construction costs keep climbing and several projects, including the memorial, have already been scaled back.

The PA recently finished the excavation work needed for Silverstein to begin work on two of the three skyscrapers he will build.

But several other hurdles to the vast rebuilding project remain, including completing demolition of the Deutsche Bank building, just south of where the World Trade Center stood.

Jones, in her ruling, also rejected the agency's claim she should not rule until Silverstein had fulfilled his obligation to rebuild the complex.

"Not only does the Port Authority fail to support this argument with citation to any case law, but this position is, in fact, contradicted by the controlling decisions on this issue," she wrote.

"We are gratified that the court agreed with our analysis," said Kenneth Erickson, a lawyer for the Lloyd's of London, which spearheaded the insurance companies' suit.

The Port Authority was fighting to recover an estimated $2 billion shortfall that Silverstein wasn't able to collect under his own insurance policies.

Silverstein entered a 99-year lease on much of the World Trade Center in July 2001 and is required to rebuild the complex.

His lease covered 1 WTC, 2WTC, 4 WTC and 5 WTC.

The PA has estimated losses on its portions of the site at approximately $3 billion.

With Post Wire Services
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #4137
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/ny...erstein&st=nyt
Developer Sues to Win $12.3 Billion in 9/11 Attack

By ANEMONA HARTOCOLLIS
Published: March 27, 2008

Larry A. Silverstein, who has won nearly $4.6 billion in insurance payments to cover his losses and help him rebuild at the World Trade Center site, is seeking $12.3 billion in damages from airlines and airport security companies for the 9/11 attack.

Mr. Silverstein, the developer of ground zero, sought the damages, whose amount was not previously known, in a claim filed in 2004, that says the airlines and airport security companies failed to prevent terrorists from hijacking the planes used to destroy the buildings.

His case was consolidated last week with similar, earlier lawsuits brought by families of some victims of the attack and by other property owners. But in seeking $12.3 billion, he is by far the biggest claimant in the litigation.

The size of Mr. Silverstein’s claim was revealed last week at a status conference on the litigation in United States District Court in Manhattan.

The claims by the parties involved total about $23 billion, and Mr. Silverstein’s claim for such a large chunk could jeopardize claims from other businesses and property owners, according to defense lawyers. A lawyer for the victims’ families, Donald Migliori, said he was confident that their claims would not be affected because they would take priority over the property claims.

A lawyer for the airlines, Desmond Barry, said that if Mr. Silverstein won his claim, he could push the total claims beyond the amount of insurance that the airlines and security companies have available. “There ain’t that much insurance,” Mr. Barry said.

The federal government has capped the liability at the amount of available insurance, to avoid bankrupting the airlines. The exact amount of insurance available is still being explored in the court proceedings.

Richard A. Williamson, a lawyer for Mr. Silverstein, said at the court conference on March 18 that Mr. Silverstein was seeking damages to compensate him for continuing losses at the site. Mr. Silverstein, through his company, World Trade Center Properties, has a 99-year lease, worth $3.2 billion, on four buildings at the site, including the fallen twin towers. He signed the lease in July 2001, just six weeks before the attack.

Since the attack, Mr. Silverstein has been paying rent to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey on towers that no longer exist, his lawyer told the judge, Alvin K. Hellerstein. Mr. Williamson said that his client had also lost rental income from about 400 tenants.

Dara McQuillan, a spokesman for Mr. Silverstein, said that the $12.3 billion represented $8.4 billion for the replacement value of the destroyed buildings and $3.9 billion in other costs, including $100 million a year in rent to the Port Authority and $300 million a year in lost rental income, as well as the cost of marketing and leasing the new buildings.

Mr. Barry, speaking for the airlines, contended that Mr. Silverstein had been more than compensated by the nearly $4.6 billion insurance settlement, reached after almost six years of litigation. He argued that Mr. Silverstein was entitled to the market value of the property, which he said had been established by the $3.2 billion lease.

Judge Hellerstein expressed skepticism about Mr. Silverstein’s claim, and asked why he had not stemmed his losses by just “walking away.”

Turning to Mr. Williamson, Judge Hellerstein asked: “What’s the nature of your recovery?”

To which Mr. Williamson replied, “For damages suffered by the events of 9/11, not value. Damages.”

Mr. Williamson said that the lease required Mr. Silverstein to rebuild and to continue paying rent.

“And so I’m putting to you if you walked away from the lease, you would lose the value of the lease,” Judge Hellerstein said. “Would you have a further obligation to pay money?”

Mr. Williamson replied, “You have to examine that question. “But to me that’s not the test of what are our damages.”

Judge Hellerstein pressed Mr. Williamson to put a dollar figure on the damages. “I don’t think it’s necessary to know the precise amount,” the judge said. “I think some order of magnitude would be appropriate.”

When Mr. Williamson balked, Mr. Barry jumped in.

“I think their claim is $12.3 billion,” he said.

“Plus prejudgement interest,” Mr. Williamson confirmed.

To which the judge tartly replied, “We shouldn’t forget that.”

Judge Hellerstein ordered Mr. Silverstein to provide more documentation of his claim, or risk losing it.

Mr. McQuillan, the spokesman for Mr. Silverstein, said on Wednesday the developer felt both an obligation under his lease and a moral obligation to rebuild, rather than walk away. He said that the insurance companies who paid him would be repaid if he prevails.

Plaintiffs also revealed that after a spate of settlements, there are seven wrongful death cases and two injury cases remaining, out of more than 90 filed.

Those who sued represent just a small fraction of the casualties on Sept. 11. Most of the victims of the attack and their families chose to take the compensation offered through a federal fund, forgoing their right to sue.

Mr. Migliori, the lawyer for victims’ survivors, said he believed that the claimants with property-damage claims — including Mr. Silverstein and some insurance companies trying to recoup their payments — would allow the death and injury cases to get priority in payment of damages.

The judge declined to set any trial date in the case, saying that it would be “fictitious,” but set a fact-finding deadline at the end of this year. Any trials in the case appear to be more than a year away.
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #4138
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03242008...nes_103250.htm
EYE ON 17 WTC CRANES

EXTRA SAFETY AT SITE

By TOM TOPOUSIS

March 24, 2008 -- With fears rising over crane safety since the disaster in Midtown, the Port Authority plans a crane-inspection process at the World Trade Center that far exceeds city standards.

By early next year, the WTC will have the largest concentration of tower cranes of any building site in the nation, with 17 enormous hoists - some of which will rise higher than the Twin Towers once stood.

"There's no other proj ect in America, or in the world, with so many tower cranes," said PA Executive Director An thony Shorris.

"It's not just that there will be so many, but that the whole site is just 16 acres," said Shorris.

Shorris said the PA planning began well before the March 8 disaster on East 51st Street.

The World Trade Center site is owned by the PA and is not subject to city building or fire regulations.

But Shorris said the agency has asked the two city agencies to take part, with regular inspections of the cranes.

"The Fire Department comes in every two weeks and the Buildings Department will be in to inspect the cranes," Shorris said.

"We not only want to meet city standards; we want to go beyond the city standards."

The city inspections will be in addition to reviews done by the PA's own safety officials and inspectors for the contractors building the towers.

Citywide, there are roughly 40 tower cranes at work. The city unit charged with checking those cranes has come under fire since one inspector was charged last week with falsifying records of inspections at the disaster site.

The WTC will be an increased burden for the Buildings Department, which has six inspectors who can monitor cranes.

By 2009, all 17 cranes and their accompanying projects will be rising above the World Trade Center.

Two tower cranes are already at work on the Freedom Tower, with a third to be added as the building approaches street level. Those cranes will have to rise taller than the building's rooftop at 1,368 feet - the height of the Twin Towers.

Meanwhile, a civic group yesterday began a petition aimed at halting further construction on the high-rise where the crane collapsed, killing seven people.

The building, at 303 E. 51 St., is now at 18 stories.

The petition, begun by the Turtle Bay Association, states that allowing the structure to go to its planned 43 stories would require the use of a crane similar to the one that collapsed, posing a threat to the community.

"It would be relatively simple to just . . . leave it at 18 stories," said association Vice President Bruce Silberblatt.

Additional reporting by Leonardo Blair
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #4139
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03272008...ing_103783.htm
DOWNTOWN UNRAVELING

March 27, 2008 -- WORLD Trade Center-area reconstruction suddenly seems on the brink of un raveling again. The ascension of woefully inexperienced David Paterson to the governor's job threatens to unleash anarchy Downtown.

Yes, work is underway on the Freedom Tower and the memorial - but large questions linger about how they'll actually look when finished, compared with what the public's been led to expect.

Eliot Spitzer at least had a handle on the Ground Zero agenda and commanded some respect from the principal players. Under the green new governor, agendas and plans once set in stone now look to be as flexible as they were in the George Pataki years.

Don't bet a dime on the timetables recently announced with great fanfare by developer Larry Silverstein, the Port Authority and the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. Three ominous developments over the past few days call into question even the most concrete-sounding plans:

* As The Post first reported on March 18 in the wake of JP Morgan Chase's plan to take over Bear Stearns, Morgan will move its investment banking unit into Bear's tower on Madison Avenue - meaning it has no need to build a new headquarters at 130 Liberty St., as it once planned.

Sure, Morgan - feeling heat from Speaker Sheldon Silver, who represents Downtown - says it's still interested in using the site for some kind of building. But the Port Authority is already thinking about using the site for something completely different, like a hotel or a mixed-use project.

Even if Morgan decides to make a deal with the PA, it will likely be for a smaller tower than the 1.1 million square-foot jumbo it had wanted. So it would surely seek softer terms than the $300 million land lease for which it has a handshake with the PA.

That in turn would delay things further - or give either side an excuse to back out. (The Morgan-PA deal has always been non-binding, and will remain so until they draw up a contract and sign it - a process that hasn't even started.)

And nobody can build even a woodshed at the site until the LMDC takes down the old Deutsche Bank ruin - a job for which the LMDC refuses to give a time estimate, although decontamination has resumed.

* LMDC Chairman Avi Schick - the same fellow who has presided over the failure to take down 130 Liberty St. - is now throwing a monkey wrench into the MTA's tormented Fulton Street Transit Center project.

The Fulton boondoggle (first budgeted at $750 million and now pushing $1.2 billion) was already spinning its wheels as the MTA tries to milk more dough out of the state (i.e., the taxpayers).

The MTA doesn't have nearly enough money to build the above-ground domed pavilion that was the project's public face. Nor has the agency even started on "untangling" the existing station's "maze" of platforms, which was the scheme's entire original raison d'etre.

Worse, the MTA has torn up streets and sidewalks to build an unnecessary pedestrian tunnel that will eventually (maybe by the end of the century?) connect the Fulton station with the PA's new PATH terminal at Ground Zero (another delayed, over-budget scheme that might not ultimately resemble what's been shown to the public).

Now the New York Observer reports that Schick recently "brought forward" an idea to move the Performing Arts Center that's planned for Ground Zero to the above-ground part of the Fulton Transit project.

Although the Observer termed Schick's brainstorm an "idea" but "not yet a proposal," it's all too clear what it means: Nobody has any idea what to build at the Fulton Street site, a once-active block that's now a rat-infested vacant lot - a Son of Ground Zero two blocks from the real thing.

It also means the whole Fulton project is in play - subject to political whims and power plays on top of its existing chaos.

The arts center was long regarded as an integral part of WTC reconstruction; for an official of Schick's stature even to suggest yanking it entirely off-site means Ground Zero itself is not safe from further political interference.

* The Daily News reports that the NYPD wants to take over Ground Zero security from the Port Authority - a power play "driven," the paper said, by the NYPD's "growing concerns" about "security flaws" in the three office towers Silverstein is to build along Church Street.

That should sound familiar. Belated NYPD "security" concerns scuttled the original Freedom Tower in May 2005 and resulted in a year-long delay to redesign the building, which is now - finally - under construction by the Port Authority.

The NYPD's sudden qualms about Silverstein's towers raise exactly the same unavoidable (but never properly answered) questions that came up in 2005: Since the tower designs were made public two years ago, why did the NYPD wait until now - just as work is actually starting - to butt in?

Conspiracy-mongering is the last thing we need at Ground Zero, a place that's already fostered far too many wacky theories about what "really" happened on 9/11. But a PA-NYPD scrimmage over security sure sounds like a threat to getting the buildings out of the ground, just days after we were given assurances they'd be up in no time at all.
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #4140
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

I'd be nothing short of shocked if the NYPD actually managed to mess up the other three towers. Like the article said, they had several YEARS to complain about security. This train isn't going to stop for anyone this time around, and I hope others are as disgusted with the NYPD as I am.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center