daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #4161
sam-whit-kid
'what are digits?'

Likes (Received): 1

oh...well ot are they complaining about then :P jk
sam-whit-kid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM   #4162
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
I meant to post this originally when it made the headlines, but I forgot about it until now.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02262008...ance_99273.htm
PA IS SHUT OUT OF WTC INSURANCE

By KATI CORNELL

BIG ZERO: A judge says leasing the Twin Towers to Ground Zero developer...

...Larry Sivlerstein made the PA ineligible for insurance money.

February 26, 2008 -- The Port Authority lost its right to collect insurance money on the destroyed Twin Towers - and much of the World Trade Center - when it leased the property two months before the 9/11 terror attacks, a federal judge ruled yesterday.

In a written opinion, Manhattan federal Judge Barbara Jones limited claims by the New York-New Jersey Port Authority to buildings that weren't leased to developer Larry Silverstein.

The judge noted Silverstein had his own insurance.

The ruling, which came in response to a lawsuit by a collection of insurance companies, allows the PA's claims to go forward on World Trade Center 6 and the PATH train station.

A PA spokesman had no immediate comment on the latest twist in the many battles over insurance spawned by the destruction of the towers that anchored Manhattan's financial center.

The amount of insurance money the bistate agency will get is a critical issue, partly because construction costs keep climbing and several projects, including the memorial, have already been scaled back.

The PA recently finished the excavation work needed for Silverstein to begin work on two of the three skyscrapers he will build.

But several other hurdles to the vast rebuilding project remain, including completing demolition of the Deutsche Bank building, just south of where the World Trade Center stood.

Jones, in her ruling, also rejected the agency's claim she should not rule until Silverstein had fulfilled his obligation to rebuild the complex.

"Not only does the Port Authority fail to support this argument with citation to any case law, but this position is, in fact, contradicted by the controlling decisions on this issue," she wrote.

"We are gratified that the court agreed with our analysis," said Kenneth Erickson, a lawyer for the Lloyd's of London, which spearheaded the insurance companies' suit.

The Port Authority was fighting to recover an estimated $2 billion shortfall that Silverstein wasn't able to collect under his own insurance policies.

Silverstein entered a 99-year lease on much of the World Trade Center in July 2001 and is required to rebuild the complex.

His lease covered 1 WTC, 2WTC, 4 WTC and 5 WTC.

The PA has estimated losses on its portions of the site at approximately $3 billion.

With Post Wire Services

Tal;

To refresh your memory and to correct you, here is what you posted and what I was talking about in the Twin Towers Advocacy Continues thread.

You said that SILVERSTEIN HIMSELF is losing more insurance money, and he's not. It's the PA who won't get any.

So please, don't confuse the truth with fiction.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:12 AM   #4163
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Daquan, they planned to give those other buildings to Silverstein anyway, so those are his business. However, he does intend to go for the higest claim, which will probably take at least another year to have, or will likely got tossed in the courtroom. Again, Silverstein is the majority leaseholder of the WTC site, not the owner, so don't get that confused just b/c he is now entitled to the insurance claims. On a sidenote, do not quote an entire article ever again, just the part(s) that explains your point.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:47 AM   #4164
Daquan13
BANNED

So, Captain Obvious, I'm well aware that Silverstein is the leaseholder of Ground Zero. Do I sound like I don't know that to you? I've known it before 09-11.

Silverstein WITLL EVENTUALLY win that as well. Stop tripping up over yourself with stuff, and no one would have to do that to prove you wrong on stuff.

Last edited by Daquan13; April 4th, 2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:41 AM   #4165
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

today the new temporary path station was opened, the one on vesey street!
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM   #4166
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Very Bad News, Very Good News

It seems like the cultural center building for the WTC, which isn’t going well, could be relocated on top of the Fulton Street Transit Center, which is a few blocks away from the WTC. The MTA was considering planning some sort of skyscraper to make a profit in the future. A new WTC tower could possibly take the currently proposed site of WTCPAC.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM   #4167
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post

It seems like the cultural center building for the WTC, which isnít going well, could be relocated on top of the Fulton Street Transit Center, which is a few blocks away from the WTC. The MTA was considering planning some sort of skyscraper to make a profit in the future. A new WTC tower could possibly take the currently proposed site of WTCPAC.
Is that the building that was going to be next-door to WTC1? Just build another Freedom Tower. Oh I'm going to get yelled at for saying that.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:29 PM   #4168
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:

It seems like the cultural center building for the WTC, which isnít going well, could be relocated on top of the Fulton Street Transit Center, which is a few blocks away from the WTC. The MTA was considering planning some sort of skyscraper to make a profit in the future. A new WTC tower could possibly take the currently proposed site of WTCPAC.

hmmm i really liked the fulton street transit center, and i think another tower might be too much for ground zero
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM   #4169
Ebola
BANNED

The Fulton St transit center was once gold, now it's crap. Can Frank Gehry really make it any worse? I bet it will look as good as before if something like this happens.

Let's not start w/ the build another FT crap. Even if they decide to build a new WTC tower, it's so close to the Freedom Tower that it would likely be under supertall height, and putting a twin in that spot would not make any sense at all since the two towers would only be a few meters apart.

If there really may be a new WTC Tower, I hope someone like Jean Nouvel, Foster, or Rogers or a good part of SOM designs it. We still have yet to see a redesigned, skinny WTC Tower 5. And I wonder who would develope the new WTC tower. The MTA, PA, Larry, all of them?

Last edited by Ebola; April 2nd, 2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:26 AM   #4170
sam-whit-kid
'what are digits?'

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Is that the building that was going to be next-door to WTC1? Just build another Freedom Tower. Oh I'm going to get yelled at for saying that.
its a secret shame of mine aswell :P
sam-whit-kid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:29 AM   #4171
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Don't build such a large memorial, make the site as dense as possible.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:06 AM   #4172
meh_cd

Quote:
The Fulton St transit center was once gold, now it's crap. Can Frank Gehry really make it any worse? I bet it will look as good as before if something like this happens.

Let's not start w/ the build another FT crap. Even if they decide to build a new WTC tower, it's so close to the Freedom Tower that it would likely be under supertall height, and putting a twin in that spot would not make any sense at all since the two towers would only be a few meters apart.
Someone needs to lighten up.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:34 AM   #4173
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Is that a joke? I can't tell because I wouldn't suggest something that stupid.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:30 AM   #4174
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Well, the memorial, the less space they have to build a certain amount of sq feet on. Which means they have to be taller, so it would still have they same amount of density.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:39 AM   #4175
Daquan13
BANNED

This could possibly change the scope of things. We'll have to wait and see what else happens.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:04 AM   #4176
Ebola
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Someone needs to lighten up.

Not me. I wasn't moaning about you when I said that people should not bring up the whole 2-FT idea again; it was intended for future posters. The plot would be slightly too small and I bet the placement would make a very tall building like that in the skyline look beyond horrible; anything over 1,000 feet tall will kill WTC Tower 2, so the shorter the better in this rare case. The Fulton Street hub was gold, one of the greatest pices of architecture in the world, but the idiots downsized it and now it's at most slightly better than any other station, save the WTC's. I really hope this plan gets done and that it can be saved. I think the MTA should try to go as high as possible if they decide to build a skyscraper there since it will be far enough away from the WTC.

Currently, there's over a dozen skyscrapers in lower Manhattan alone all well over 200m going up or about to go up simultaneously (with eight of them over 800 feet tall, likely more). It seems like the number will only get bigger. We really should be happy. Almost all cities will never best what's going on in merely lower Manhattan, save the rest of the city. I can say that in eight to eighteen years, Manhattan Island alone will have more skyscraper construction than any other place. I have no idea how we wil be able to pull it off again, but it will be one hell of a sight, soon in downtown, and then the west side and other places.

In less than a year, the WTC site will blow everyone away; what we see now is nothing since almost all of the work is taking place out of our view, save the erection of steel and concrete, which is hard to see the progress of because of our point of view, and there are other projects in the city that are and could be bigger than the WTC, which is the biggest skyscraper project in the US. Economic slowdown, Manhattan's ass. In fact, the entire nation is building more and taller skyscrapers than ever before; it's just that a lot of it isn't well known or mentioned here.

I plan on moving to lower Manhattan in five years; I only see a bright future for the area. To hell with midtown; I can see lower Manhattan as the new greatest financial capital within my lifetime.
By the way, I JUST noticed that there's a slowly growing hole for WTC Tower 2...

Last edited by Ebola; April 3rd, 2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM   #4177
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04012008...led_104483.htm
'FREEDOM' RATTLED

By TOM TOPOUSIS

April 1, 2008 -- The Freedom Tower is being put to the test.

A 40-foot-tall section of the tower's glass outer wall at a California testing lab is being pelted with rain, hammered with sustained winds of 74 mph, exposed to extreme heat and cold, and shaken by ground-shaking vibrations.

The mock-up of a corner section of three upper floors of the tower includes 24 glass panels like those that will one day make up the tower's outer skin - 1 million square feet of glass that will rise 1,368 feet when completed in 2011. An antenna will make the total height a symbolic 1,776 feet.

Technicians at Construction Consulting Laboratory West in Ontario, Calif., are putting the mock-up through two weeks of testing that covers 26 structural and meteorological conditions.

An enormous Curtiss-Wright airplane engine churns up the wind power aimed at the glass wall, which will face the whipping winds off New York Harbor when it is constructed at Ground Zero.

The Freedom Tower, designed by architect David Childs of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, will have a skin made of 4-inch-thick glass panels that will stretch panel to panel, with no structural elements between the 13-foot-tall panes of glass.

The testing will take about two weeks.

[email protected]
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:49 AM   #4178
meh_cd

Quote:
I plan on moving to lower Manhattan in five years; I only see a bright future for the area. To hell with midtown; I can see lower Manhattan as the new greatest financial capital within my lifetime.
By the way, I JUST noticed that there's a slowly growing hole for WTC Tower 2...

Glad we're on the same page. I prefer Lower Manhattan as well, and with any luck I'll be living there once I'm through with school.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM   #4179
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

It's interesting to hear that materials for the building are being subjected to extreme testing. But a question: is the design of this building (or any other in NY for that matter) engineered to withstand a moderate earthquake? The risk is small, but not out of the realm of possibilty for this area.
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:29 AM   #4180
Daquan13
BANNED

I'm sure that they took that into consideration and made the foundation for the tower more invulnerable against such a disaster.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center