daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #41881
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
Teaser:
two new video renders tomorrow. One is an updated 1WTC spire render and the other a New York Times Building render (for completely on-topic comparative reasons and not because I thought it would look good).
Spoiler Alert:
Both will be visible on you tube some time over night and the two 3WTC renders are already posted on their appropriate thread. I'm letting my computer upload the file to you tube over night, I might attempt to model the mirror system in the video tomorrow if I find time. If so, I'll upload another video render focusing on the top section. If I get really (read "Extremely unlikely, but not impossible") industrious, I'll animate a spinning assembly.

I'm too tired to keep typing, hope all you guys enjoy the renders.
Looking forward to seeing the new renders tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #41882
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
You know as the average Joe we have 0 input, I can almost 99% guarantee you, let's just say ten thousand of us were able to "pitch In" 100 dollars each, and other corporations made large donations,, (just an example) I bet Durst would still not use the Radome we all want,, He would make his argument of the diffficulty of maintaining it,"just to save face, to back up HIS argument". Also I think most of us should be outraged (wouldn't do ANY good though), that they're going with Tower 3 1st, instead of Tower 2 next, they already stripped down the criss/cross design that gave the building it's distinctive character. Now when you see it completed in renders(T3), it basically looks like Tower4 minus the L shape just a few stories taller and 4 spires on each corner.. In my opinion (and this is just me, thinking this way), but why didn't they try to lease out T2 before 3, Tower 2 would be one of the most beautiful supertalls in the World,, Now their saying if, "they actually build 2 "whenever" it's height, will most likely be scaled down a couple hundred feet.(that's BS, Don't quote me on the drop off 200 ft, but I HAVE read that somewhere,,in 1 of these forums) all these little things, are starting to add up, (example, the entrance to WTC1 was supposed to be this elaborate "nice" place where someone would like to hang out and eat lunch. The new design, looks like, "Get in Or Stay Out!" this is not what we were promised "years" ago... And all we "average people" can do is sit around and watch while they make these downgrades, and Hope they think of the Future and how good these Bldgs would have looked had they all been built with the original design attached to them. Shortcuts SUCK, especially on a plot of land that deserves the best there is to offer.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #41883
Cojapo

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1000 View Post
A beautiful tower even if the symbolic 1776 feet is a very cheap and classless shot at the country which supported the US through thick and thin after 9/11. A big and stupid mistake.
Umm...it's the year we gained our independence from a tyrannical English rule, not a cheap shot at a close ally.
I think we've shown our appreciation by bailing the UK our of both WWI and WWII.
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #41884
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

New One World Trade Center Spire render, this time without shadows and rendered 20 times faster. I added the Permanent platforms.

for (on-topic) comparison:

oli83, Funkyskunk2, Otie liked this post
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #41885
Lawrence7
Lawrence

Likes (Received): 2

The spire completely ruins 1WTC. It had so much potential too...
Lawrence7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #41886
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
You know as the average Joe we have 0 input, I can almost 99% guarantee you, let's just say ten thousand of us were able to "pitch In" 100 dollars each, and other corporations made large donations,, (just an example) I bet Durst would still not use the Radome we all want,, He would make his argument of the diffficulty of maintaining it,"just to save face, to back up HIS argument". Also I think most of us should be outraged (wouldn't do ANY good though), that they're going with Tower 3 1st, instead of Tower 2 next, they already stripped down the criss/cross design that gave the building it's distinctive character. Now when you see it completed in renders(T3), it basically looks like Tower4 minus the L shape just a few stories taller and 4 spires on each corner.. In my opinion (and this is just me, thinking this way), but why didn't they try to lease out T2 before 3, Tower 2 would be one of the most beautiful supertalls in the World,, Now their saying if, "they actually build 2 "whenever" it's height, will most likely be scaled down a couple hundred feet.(that's BS, Don't quote me on the drop off 200 ft, but I HAVE read that somewhere,,in 1 of these forums) all these little things, are starting to add up, (example, the entrance to WTC1 was supposed to be this elaborate "nice" place where someone would like to hang out and eat lunch. The new design, looks like, "Get in Or Stay Out!" this is not what we were promised "years" ago... And all we "average people" can do is sit around and watch while they make these downgrades, and Hope they think of the Future and how good these Bldgs would have looked had they all been built with the original design attached to them. Shortcuts SUCK, especially on a plot of land that deserves the best there is to offer.
Hey, keep 2WTC and 3WTC out of this. Silverstein is saving his best for last to avoid value engineering it. He's going all or nothing on it and I'm thankful because it is my favorite tower. A few pages ago I gave a reasonable reason for the removal of the radome being that it would be difficult to evenly back-light, especially with transmitting equipment in the way.
Old February 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #41887
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

Checked up on all the cams to see how we're doing this morning. Sadly, base cladding is still at a standstill, and mast section 12 is still on the platform

However, mechanical cladding is now over 25% complete on the SE side, and only 4 or 5 panels are left to be placed on the NE side. I can assure you it'll be finished by the end of the day.

Edit: Oops, I meant SE and NE, not SW and NW.

Last edited by L.A.F.2.; February 18th, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #41888
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
A beautiful tower even if the symbolic 1776 feet is a very cheap and classless shot at the country which supported the US through thick and thin after 9/11. A big and stupid mistake.
You must have been drunk when you wrote that. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #41889
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

If someone says the word antenna or radome one more time....

DinoVabec, slsc, TheCap'n, Lockheed992 liked this post
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #41890
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsc View Post
i updated diagram with SWFC comparions
similar height atm
Shanghai tower, not SWFC
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #41891
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I was thinking already.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #41892
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Wait what? Of all the things to get offended over. Did you know that a ton of Americans also feel that the "symbolic" height is silly as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
Hey, keep 2WTC and 3WTC out of this. Silverstein is saving his best for last to avoid value engineering it. He's going all or nothing on it and I'm thankful because it is my favorite tower. A few pages ago I gave a reasonable reason for the removal of the radome being that it would be difficult to evenly back-light, especially with transmitting equipment in the way.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but has the cladding for 2 WTC already been manufactured? I seem to remember Otie or someone else saying it was, meaning that the beautiful vertical metal fins protruding between each line of windows is here to stay no matter how much money they try to save. That alone is going to make 2 WTC stand out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
If someone says the word antenna or radome one more time....
Then you and everyone else can get over it. This is for discussion topic for the construction of the building, of which the ANTENNA is a part.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #41893
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Does anybody get that it's not a freaking antenna? How many times is someone going to explain the MAST situation on here.
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #41894
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Forgive me if I missed it, and without starting another Antenna/Spire argument, but what exactly will the Antenna/Spire be used for? Radio Tv etc...
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #41895
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post

Then you and everyone else can get over it. This is for discussion topic for the construction of the building, of which the ANTENNA is a part.
Have you actually been reading this forum...? Its like a broken record playing over and over again about how bad this antenna is. One person said it now everyone else has to and just so you know complaining is not discussing the issue, its making it worse for the rest of us
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #41896
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22573

you guys are like the 10 year old kid who is all worked up for not getting their name on top of the birthday cake. It's a really nice cake too, not your average quick pick up ice cream cake. You just can't get past the fact that what you were expecting isn't there. So stubborn.

CRAP new page, now this will carry over.
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #41897
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

A bit old, but shows the massive base in almost all its glory...

By angeloangelo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/angeloangelo/8485366623/

image hosted on flickr

billgates liked this post
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #41898
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

Man, that looks good!
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #41899
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Found this one in SSP,originally posted by NewYorkDominates

By NYonAir

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

billgates, spectre000, It_Fits, r0cc0, sete68 and 5 others liked this post
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #41900
cg042497

Likes (Received): 22

Will cladding on the NE side move any closer to the east side elevator, or will the elevator have to be taken down first? It seems like the glass could get a bit closer, but it stops a good distance from the edge. This confuses me.

By the way, excellent glass progress, especially on the SE side. Hopefully base cladding and spire work will pick up again soon.
cg042497 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center