daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM   #4181
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Taken by Derek7272
Judging the location of the red crawler crane it's only a few days old.

image hosted on flickr

Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #4182
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04012008...led_104483.htm
'FREEDOM' RATTLED

By TOM TOPOUSIS

April 1, 2008 -- The Freedom Tower is being put to the test.

1 million square feet of glass that will rise 1,368 feet when completed in 2011. An antenna will make the total height a symbolic 1,776 feet.
[email protected]
Interesting explanation of the height of the building. This report is calling the Spire an antenna! If it truly is an antenna the building will not be 1776' tall it will only be 1368' tall. Another reason this design is far inferior to the original.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM   #4183
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2627

I always thought they should have put the roof at 1,776 and the tip of the antenna at 2,001 for both larger height and double symbolism.

Anyway, I still like the current design, sexy shape, and unlike the original WTC it doesn't look like it was built from Lego blocks.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:13 PM   #4184
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

It is an antenna and a spire. The antenna is in the spire.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:29 PM   #4185
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
I always thought they should have put the roof at 1,776 and the tip of the antenna at 2,001 for both larger height and double symbolism.

Anyway, I still like the current design, sexy shape, and unlike the original WTC it doesn't look like it was built from Lego blocks.
Yeah that actually would have been a good idea.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM   #4186
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:

Yes.....thats what I've always thought too. Those numbers would be much more appropriate and symbolic....1776 to symbolize the birth of the nation and 2001 to symbolize the year the towers were destroyed....but I'm just blabbing on because thats not whats going to be built. Hopefully we'll get a 'real' supertall in another part of Manhattan. I just hope theres a plague that wipes out all the NIMBY's first...that would sure help.

Last edited by kingsdl76; April 3rd, 2008 at 04:51 PM.
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM   #4187
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
Yes.....thats what I've always thought too. Those numbers would be much more appropriate and symbolic....1776 to symbolize the birth of the nation and 2001 to symbolize the year the towers were destroyed....but I'm just blabbing on because thats not whats going to be built. Hopefully we'll get a 'real' supertall in another part of Manhattan. I just hope theres a plague that wipes out all the NIMBY's first...that would sure help.
A "real supertall?" Wow, you really are a fool. All this talk about how awful NIMBYs are is pretty annoying too. They're not evil. They have their own reasons for opposing supertall construction, not that I agree with all of them.
What I notice about a lot of people on this blog is building TALL is the only thought, with no concern for building a more livable city. ***** envy, I suppose.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM   #4188
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNYC View Post
A "real supertall?" Wow, you really are a fool. All this talk about how awful NIMBYs are is pretty annoying too. They're not evil. They have their own reasons for opposing supertall construction, not that I agree with all of them.
What I notice about a lot of people on this blog is building TALL is the only thought, with no concern for building a more livable city. ***** envy, I suppose.
Uhm, what do you think is the main appeal to foreign tourism of Manhattan? The nice 50m high buildings? I don't know how people in Brooklyn (where I suppose you are from) see it, but the in the rest of the world Manhattan always had the reputation of pretty much being "Skyscraper central". If you think they shouldn't try to maintain that reputation you must be seriously wanting to hurt your city's economy.

I for one think Manhattan should keep working on maintaining its reputation, and show Dubai what a REAL metropolis looks like.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #4189
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

edit:opps

Last edited by philvia; April 3rd, 2008 at 08:43 PM.
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:38 PM   #4190
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

originally i was opposed to yet another tower squeezed in, but after seeing this render from SSP, i completely change my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopher View Post
Maybe something like this...
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM   #4191
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Uhm, what do you think is the main appeal to foreign tourism of Manhattan? The nice 50m high buildings? I don't know how people in Brooklyn (where I suppose you are from) see it, but the in the rest of the world Manhattan always had the reputation of pretty much being "Skyscraper central". If you think they shouldn't try to maintain that reputation you must be seriously wanting to hurt your city's economy.

I for one think Manhattan should keep working on maintaining its reputation, and show Dubai what a REAL metropolis looks like.
Welcome to SCC Droneriot
Small thing. Don't ever say 'Dubai' in this topic. Somehow it works as gasoline on a fire. It's not hard to start a flamewar over here
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM   #4192
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

@philvia- That's an interesting rendering. I've heard a bit about the possiblity of adding anothr tower, is that about the size that they're thinking it might be?
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4193
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVoltageDR View Post
@philvia- That's an interesting rendering. I've heard a bit about the possiblity of adding anothr tower, is that about the size that they're thinking it might be?
you are probably talking about 5WTC.
click the link for further info: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=489987

photo:
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:00 PM   #4194
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag_one View Post
Welcome to SCC Droneriot
Small thing. Don't ever say 'Dubai' in this topic. Somehow it works as gasoline on a fire. It's not hard to start a flamewar over here
Thanks for the welcome.

As for flame wars... Well... I am quite a fan of skyscrapers simply for aesthetic reasons, but if some people want to make a personal issue out of it they kind of really, really, really need to get a life. I certainly wouldn't be upset by some geeks screaming "the skyscraper I like is better than the skyscraper you like!!", I sort of see myself being a bit above that, being adult and all, hehehe.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:30 PM   #4195
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densetsu View Post
you are probably talking about 5WTC.
click the link for further info: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=489987
No, their talking about moving the memorial, which leaves the area where it was going to go, open to another building.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:37 PM   #4196
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

oh okay. i get it now thanx
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM   #4197
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Does anyone kind of feel sorry for One Liberty Plaza? The poor thing was built with a perfect view towards the original WTC, and now it's going to be looking at the back of WTC 4. Same thing with 22 Cortland Street. Such is life, I guess. :p
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #4198
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNYC View Post
Is that a joke? I can't tell because I wouldn't suggest something that stupid.
Why so harsh? After World War II, they didn't turn France, Germany and Russia into memorials, neither did they turn all of Central London into a memorial after the Bishopgate Bombings and the July 7th attacks.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #4199
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Does anyone kind of feel sorry for One Liberty Plaza?
No not the least bit. It replaced the beautiful Singer building so now it deserves what it gets.

centreoftheuniverse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #4200
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Yeah that's true. I think it's an ugly building - even uglier than the Deutsche Bank building.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center