daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #4201
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

One Liberty Plaza is one of the greatest and largest boxy/simple skyscrapers ever built. It will fit in perfectly being a background tower under the shadow of the WTC. I think 130 Liberty looks worse than it, but maybe that's because 130 has not looked normal since the early morning of 9/11. But before you know it, the skyline will look better and more impressive than it did in July 2001.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #4202
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Uhm, what do you think is the main appeal to foreign tourism of Manhattan? The nice 50m high buildings? I don't know how people in Brooklyn (where I suppose you are from) see it, but the in the rest of the world Manhattan always had the reputation of pretty much being "Skyscraper central". If you think they shouldn't try to maintain that reputation you must be seriously wanting to hurt your city's economy.

I for one think Manhattan should keep working on maintaining its reputation, and show Dubai what a REAL metropolis looks like.
Thanks for getting my back bro. Some people get so upset about others opinions. Just give him some time to get his panty hose out of a bunch, he'll be alright.
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #4203
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNYC View Post
A "real supertall?" Wow, you really are a fool. All this talk about how awful NIMBYs are is pretty annoying too. They're not evil. They have their own reasons for opposing supertall construction, not that I agree with all of them.
What I notice about a lot of people on this blog is building TALL is the only thought, with no concern for building a more livable city. ***** envy, I suppose.
Wow...I didnt realize that my opinion would warrant such a personal attack on my intelligence, as well as a mention of my genitalia....I almost feel honored. I must've really hit a soft spot with my post. Well...you've every right to disagree with me but when you make personal digs like that it really displays your character. Regarding the '*****' comment...well....since you've taken an interest, maybe you'd like to put it in your mouth for a definitive measurement?
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #4204
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

I was kind of bored today and found some small mistakes in Culwulla's section of the FT. So I made a more accurate version

I know my paint skills don't weight up against Culwulla's skills
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #4205
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

The tower is supposed to get a third Kangaroo tower crane eventually. I wonder if it will go on the outside of the building once the steel starts to rise above street level.

Last edited by Daquan13; April 5th, 2008 at 02:05 AM.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #4206
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

April 2 from flickr
the whole WTC site. freedom tower is on the far right side

image hosted on flickr
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #4207
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

sure it was taken april 2? the path station in the picture was closed april 1

anyways, 4wtc's hole is getting deep quick!
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #4208
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

today:

image hosted on flickr
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #4209
RealThang
Registered Fanatic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
sure it was taken april 2? the path station in the picture was closed april 1

anyways, 4wtc's hole is getting deep quick!
I hate being the one to correct other's mistakes but I Just Can't Help It <grin>

The path station is still open for another couple of weeks.

I believe you're referring to 2wtc, since 4wtc's hole was completed a couple of months ago. 4wtc is to the left and 2wtc is to the right in the picture.
RealThang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #4210
Daquan13
BANNED

My guess is that when the core reaches the height of those steel columns, that may be when we'll see some of the girders fastened between the core and the outer support columns.
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #4211
Ebola
BANNED

It's - the bulk of the visible below grade steel work - starting now. If it's anything like the old towers, there will be a lot to see. We'll be able to see almost all the progress in a week or so, so don't worry about babies complaining about how they THINK it's slow. I've heard the media mention that the steel that's standing now will be connected to each other at the top with more steel, which most likely will officially bring the tower above grade. The steel is what will be going up first, not the core.
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #4212
Daquan13
BANNED

But the steel needs the core for interior load-bearing support, doesn't it?

Usually, as the core rises, so does the steel, I thought.
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #4213
RealThang
Registered Fanatic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
The steel is what will be going up first, not the core.
Core first, steel second. Just like 7 wtc.
RealThang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #4214
Ebola
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealThang View Post
Core first, steel second. Just like 7 wtc.
It seems you really need to do research. I just went through several pages of 7WTC construction and all of the construction pictures in WYN and could not find one picture with the concrete core rising above the steel.
By the way, 7WTC does have a concrete core; you could clearly see it before any steel at all was erected. I think that could prove that the first steel beam erected here was partly for show, but it doesn't matter now.
In doing so, I read about how it topped out ahead of schedule. I'm sure the others will be just as successful with their updated schedule.

For the Freedom Tower, there's a 99.9% chance that the steel will go up first, leaving the core slightly behind. As far as I know, no building in this city was built with concrete going up first.

Last edited by Ebola; April 5th, 2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #4215
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealThang View Post
I hate being the one to correct other's mistakes but I Just Can't Help It <grin>

The path station is still open for another couple of weeks.

I believe you're referring to 2wtc, since 4wtc's hole was completed a couple of months ago. 4wtc is to the left and 2wtc is to the right in the picture.
ah yes i just read the old temporary on church st will be open still for 2 more weeks

and yes i meant 2wtc
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #4216
Ebola
BANNED

In fact, to add to the Freedom Tower core debate, I think it just may be NYC law that the steel of a skyscraper always must rise first. Does anyone know if it's true or not, or is it just a tradition, or perhaps an outdated law that is still followed?
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #4217
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
One Liberty Plaza is one of the greatest and largest boxy/simple skyscrapers ever built. It will fit in perfectly being a background tower under the shadow of the WTC. I think 130 Liberty looks worse than it, but maybe that's because 130 has not looked normal since the early morning of 9/11. But before you know it, the skyline will look better and more impressive than it did in July 2001.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I love boxy skyscrapers but the black on 1 Liberty Plaza doesn't do it for me. I saw some construction photos and I thought it looked great in silver/aluminum like the WTC.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #4218
Daquan13
BANNED

Thought so.
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #4219
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

Not Sure if this question was answered before: In regards to the height of this tower, because the building will be topped out by a 408ft antenna, will the CTBUH measure the Freedom Tower to its roof or to its structural height? speaking of which, does the antenna count as part of the freedom towers structure, or like the Sears Tower, will it NOT be included in the official height?

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher

Last edited by Infrasuper Planet; April 6th, 2008 at 03:40 AM.
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #4220
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrasuper Planet View Post
Not Sure if this question was answered before: In regards to the height of this tower, because the building will be topped out by a 408ft antenna, will the WCTB measure the Freedom Tower to its roof or to its structural height? speaking of which, does the antenna count as part of the freedom towers structure, or like the Sears Tower, will it NOT be included in the official height?
I've asked the same question several times and no one has answered. It seems like people don't want to admit that Freedom Tower will not truly be 1776' tall. I agree with your view of the matter, the original design with the integral spire was 1776' but this one with the antenna stuck on top IS'NT'

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center