daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #42321
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2905

Good morning.

By Creative Digging Design

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/creativediggingdesigns/

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #42322
Rapter
Advanced

Likes (Received): 26

Quite an interesting short news report about 1WTC from an Irish news website:

New World Trade Center nears completion
Rapter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #42323
VictorBND

Likes (Received): 113

Found this photo of the final section of the antenna/spire on World Trade Center Facebook.
And it looks gorgeus! Can't wait to see it finisthed!!!

https://www.facebook.com/WorldTradeCenterNYC

sundrop74, LexISguy liked this post
VictorBND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #42324
sundrop74
Skyscraper Aficionado

Likes (Received): 68

Does this mean it will have the radome covering after all???

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBND View Post
Found this photo of the final section of the antenna/spire on World Trade Center Facebook.

sundrop74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #42325
Kintoy
BAND

Likes (Received): 2175

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaddict View Post
anyone know why new york has 2 central business districts? i rarely see something like that in other cities.
Metro Manila has 3 CBDs
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #42326
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

was downtown yesterday. snagged a couple

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel

billgates liked this post
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #42327
ILOVENY

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:

We have seen photos of this section here before, but I don't think it had that white covering. I hope this means they reconsidered the enclosure.
ILOVENY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #42328
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

PA faces static over antenna

By JULIA MARSH
Last Updated: 3:54 AM, February 28, 2013

"The Port Authority still hasn’t forked over $4 million to pay a Canadian company that supplied steel for the new World Trade Center’s antenna, according to court papers.

The first piece of the spire was installed in January, but the PA still hasn’t paid the full amount for the material, according to documents filed in Manhattan Supreme Court earlier this month.

The authority sued ADF Steel in September for holding the metal “hostage,” court papers show.

“The Port Authority has just not been responsive,” ADF Steel’s attorney Robert Rubin told The Post."
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #42329
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
[URL="http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/pa_faces_static_over_antenna_RwiZEWLscum2BFDoKGf15M"]PA faces static over antenna
I'm not surprised at all the PA is completely incompetent with everything, they honestly need to have the WTC taken away from them and put under control by someone that's actually going to do good for the place.
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #42330
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
I'm not surprised at all the PA is completely incompetent with everything, they honestly need to have the WTC taken away from them and put under control by someone that's actually going to do good for the place.
I have to disagree with this.

They are very competent. But they also have very little oversight and do pretty much whatever they want.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #42331
StrongIsland

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post

They are very competent. But they also have very little oversight and do pretty much whatever they want.
True in many ways they are maybe I should have worded what I said better though. I do think however have they hardly been competent when it comes to the site...for example the Spire was the main focus of the sites design besides the memorial and such, that was the main requirment besides security and all and yet look what happens. No I'm not complaining I'm just saying that issue and many more have shown their lack of good judgment.

Last edited by StrongIsland; February 28th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #42332
BeLogical
BANNED

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post

Lack of oversight is very much indicative of lack of competence.
BeLogical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #42333
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVENY View Post
We have seen photos of this section here before, but I don't think it had that white covering. I hope this means they reconsidered the enclosure.
I think this proves my theory i made a while back, they are covering it up so they can try to make the beacon an architectural element ! so they can make their case to urban of tall buildings.
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #42334
PowerOfLondon

Likes (Received): 219

A question for you New Yorkers, does the average New Yorker take the skyline for granted and don't really take in the fact at all that they are somewhat privileged to live amongst it and that even a 700 odd foot tower to be built in London would drastically alter the skyline and many residents would be thrilled that it was going up. Living in London myself I am moderately impressed with the cluster that is canary wharf and the beauty of some of the buildings going up in the city and most people in London would actually give a damn and point it out from afar across the city and gawp at it. What i'm trying to say is are the typical new yorkers spoiled in that sense???
PowerOfLondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #42335
StrongIsland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerOfLondon View Post
A question for you New Yorkers, does the average New Yorker take the skyline for granted and don't really take in the fact at all that they are somewhat privileged to live amongst it and that even a 700 odd foot tower to be built in London would drastically alter the skyline and many residents would be thrilled that it was going up. Living in London myself I am moderately impressed with the cluster that is canary wharf and the beauty of some of the buildings going up in the city and most people in London would actually give a damn and point it out from afar across the city and gawp at it. What i'm trying to say is are the typical new yorkers spoiled in that sense???
Yes in a way. As a New Yorker we are used to the skyscrapers so I guess you can say we are spoiled in a sense that when they go up we aren't phased.
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #42336
jmatero

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVENY View Post
What you're seeing is the cladding for the beacon portion of the spire.

This is probably the best rendering of the final design:

jmatero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #42337
Himmelwärts
Emotional User

Likes (Received): 6301

A little preview:

http://se-wandrere.tumblr.com
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #42338
Jrobinson84

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:

Is that the radome covering??

I wonder if maybe it was a good idea to scrap the radome after all. Imagine how dirty and nasty those pristine white panels would be after a while. It would require constant maintenance.
Jrobinson84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #42339
WestTexan87
Plattsburgh to Abilene

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerOfLondon View Post
Most people are mildly aware of the buildings around them, but few can name any beyond ESB and Chrysler (and even those, they often mix up). When you're down on the streets of the concrete jungle, it's difficult to look up and take it all in, to be honest. I know many people who weren't even aware of the new WTC until I pointed it out to them. The general response is, "Oh, I was wondering what they were building down there." I was even going to a gym near my office for months before I realized it was actually in the base of the NYT Tower. And I'm a SSC regular for god's sake!

So to answer your question: yes, we're spoiled. 9 days out of 10, the skyline is just part of the backdrop against which we live our lives.
WestTexan87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #42340
StrongIsland

Looks liked from where I was standing they are just about finished with the southeast mechanical floors...Northwest section is the last to go then observation floors!

Last edited by StrongIsland; February 28th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center