daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2013, 07:47 AM   #42381
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudpiercer View Post
willis tower's antenna have an enclosure but it looks like they don't have any 'difficult to maintain' issue, otherwise it won't be built.

i think they could maintain it just fine, what about 1wtc?
Great up close shot with the sear's tower,, My favorite bldg by far in the U.S. so why didn't durst and pa, look into how the clean thir radome. Looks like the old girl is starting to show her age..

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:34 AM   #42382
archilover

Likes (Received): 3180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Sections installed so far, model by PMadFlyer

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center mast by Otie O'Daniel, on Flickr
ugly antenna..
archilover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM   #42383
Eadfrith

Likes (Received): 14

Im starting to think they had no intention of building the original spire design. Sell an original design to the public and then change it when it's too late to do anything about it.
Eadfrith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM   #42384
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 99

Shhhh guys dont talk about the "antenna", it is forbidden...

just say

"awesome pictures"

and "amazing"

those things are considered ontopic and appropriate "DISCUSSION"...!
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:17 PM   #42385
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1277

Itīs not forbidden. Itīs rather a question of how much sense it makes to discuss something unchangable over and over again, IMO. Everything, what could be said about the "antenna debate" has been said. So every upcoming discussion about it, would result in a repeat of stuff, that had been said already.
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:18 PM   #42386
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2984

No one is stopping y'all from talking about the radome removal, it's just the countless complaining and whining about it that gets on people nerves.

Imagesfount by NYGuy, on SSP.

By Keith Michael

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithmichaelnyc/

It's being mounted ontop of the building and no amount of whining and complaining will change it... It's too early to judge anway.

billgates liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:25 PM   #42387
Valkyre

That is not exactly.... "democratic"...

"hey look you can talk about the radome removal, but NO complaints".

That is exactly what I am saying... valid complaints are considered offtopic, while atleast 500-600 pages out of the total 2100 of this thread are filled with "amazing" and "awesome pictures" quotes....

If you allow someone to speak his mind, then dont do it under certain "circumstances", like not perimitting complaints... what kind of freedom of speech is that??

Anyway...

AWESOME PICTURES.

:/

sundrop74, GeoDude, Jeremo liked this post
Valkyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:38 PM   #42388
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

How many times must you "speak your mind" about the spire change? What do any of you hope to accomplish by complaining about the mast all day, everyday? You dislike the spire change. Ok. Move on. You think Durst will stumble over the forum and change his mind? It's being mounted ontop of the building and there isn't a damn thing any of us can do. Complaining, whining or even having a formal conversation about the spire change will change nothing. Whats done is done.

oli83, pnapp1, 325ccr liked this post
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:45 PM   #42389
Valkyre

So basically -again- speaking my mind about a complaint is not cool if I do it more than X times, but hey sayign just how beautiful and amazing everything is, is ok to do so countless times...

double standards much?

If you dont like reading complaints, or want to stop discussions on a structural part of the building that is not so appealing to everyone, then you should follow your advice and also MONE ON to the next post....

I dont get why some people should respect your personnal "aesthetics" as to what each post should or should not include, and not the other way around as well?

And no, not everyone has expressed his opinion, or his ideas over the matter. And NO it doesnt mean that because they have started to install the antenna that they could not at some point, via hearing people's complaints over this decision, to actually do something about it. They can even make another design in the course of time or even install just the skeleton of the radome in a year or so, just to make it a tad bit more respectful. There are still ways to fix this...

There are lots that can be discussed about the issue and that SHOULD be discussed and I consider them much more constructive posting rather than all those "awesome pictures" posts out there. Whether they originate from a valid complaint or not.

sundrop74 liked this post
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:59 PM   #42390
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

"So basically -again- speaking my mind about a complaint is not cool if I do it more than X times, but hey sayign just how beautiful and amazing everything is, is ok to do so countless times..."

It's certainly better than reading the same complains everyday. My point is- How many times must you complain? It isn't helping the thread, and it obviously isn't helping the members posting in it. Thats all i'm saying on the whole spire debate. It's pointless hearing the samething over and over again.

oli83, pnapp1, 325ccr liked this post
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:07 PM   #42391
Valkyre

you specifically chose to ignore the rest of my post where I explain in detail why discussion should be allowed and why nothing is unfixable at the moment and the benefits coming out of such debates.

Plus you confirmed that indeed, we have double standards in here, as well as that your personnal aesthetics are more important than freedom of speech.

sundrop74 liked this post
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:34 PM   #42392
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

image hosted on flickr

Good Morning Freedom by ericwill, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

HK999, Swiddle, sergiomazzi liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:35 PM   #42393
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by liny631 View Post
I also think living in NYC or the NYC suburbs (LI, Westchester, Rockland, North Jersey) gives us a unique feeling. Everyone has pride for their city where they grow up, so they are biased, but the awe-inspiring thing about NYC is that we grow up fully realizing it may very well be the greatest city in the world with no doubt the most iconic skyline ever. It's not because we are biased, it's because it's true. That alone gives you an amazing feeling. I always feel like I hit the lotto being born in the NYC suburbs. I can drive 45 minutes to the NYC line in Queens or I can drive 45 minutes to the Hamptons or 20 minutes to Robert Moses, or walk to a local beach. It's the best of both worlds.

One thing people from outside the NYC area don't know is that many people especially younger ones in college will meet for the first time, ask where each other is from, and the closer to NYC you are from, the cooler you are. That's how much NYC means to locals...if you live 50 miles from Manhattan like me, someone who lives 20 miles away will make fun of me and they will get more respect. I know it sounds weird but it's true. It's hard to explain to a non-New Yorker, but having NYC gives us a sort of cocky, "we know we are famous" kind of pride. Just seeing how many movies are shot in the city, how much history it has, how much it has influenced culture including art, fashion, music, etc. it is just amazing when you take a step back and think about it. NYC is also so big that even living 50 miles from Manhattan and 35 miles from Queens, I still see NYC taxis on the LIE all the time near where I live. Even that can be exciting!
The rest of the world is very aware of this attitutude that some New Yorkers have. It is one of the things the city is most despised for and it shouldn't be viewed as a positive trait. I admire New Yorkers who don't let love for their own city blind them to them to the awesomeness that exists all around the world.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:55 PM   #42394
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
The rest of the world is very aware of this attitutude that some New Yorkers have. It is one of the things the city is most despised for and it shouldn't be viewed as a positive trait. I admire New Yorkers who don't let love for their own city blind them to them to the awesomeness that exists all around the world.
That isn't unique to this city...that's the same dynamic between urban-suburban-rural in any country. It's just the way it is.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:09 PM   #42395
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

View of NYC from the roof of the 1WTC
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:17 PM   #42396
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:21 PM   #42397
Cativo

Likes (Received): 8

I'm looking at the earthcam and it looks to me that the ring is being installed, can someone confirm?
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:23 PM   #42398
VictorBND

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
No offense but I posted those over two weeks ago thanks for posting it again though since no one paid attention at the time due to the spire dispute
Didn't know that... That spire dispute was so long I didn't notice your post! Sorry!
VictorBND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:26 PM   #42399
jhony98

Likes (Received): 0

i'm looking at the earthcam and it looks to me that the ring is being installend
jhony98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM   #42400
jhony98

Likes (Received): 0

se esta instalando el anillo
jhony98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center