daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #4261
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

from flickr by donaldp1939:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Densetsu; April 10th, 2008 at 09:02 PM.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #4262
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Nice pictures, I love the glass mixed with stone and how the buildings are all very thick and solid in this area of Downtown.

Last edited by Rizzato; April 11th, 2008 at 03:13 AM.
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #4263
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

i just wanted to say how said 9/11 was. if you dont want it, i'll remove it then
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #4264
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

I hope they can figure out a way to give us an exterior observation deck as well. Probably not, but I can hope.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #4265
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Of course there will be an exterior observation deck, that is, if you'd like to have every cell in your body fried and unable to replicate itself properly. The crown will contain all the com stuff.

If they put it in the spire, that's a different sotry, but it isn't going to happen according to logic.

Last edited by Ebola; April 11th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #4266
D.D.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

wow that is a massive construction site, i can't wait to see it rise
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #4267
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

If the exterior of the Freedom looks this sexy, then this tower will really dazzle in the sky and capture the sun rays beautifully
Perfect

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #4268
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

How long does it take the steel to arrive to New York from Luxembourg?

(is there only one tower (freedom tower) in the actual ground zero?
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #4269
Teriyaki
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

stunning !!!
Teriyaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #4270
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

this project is coming along nicely. I wonder what the view is going to be like. The only thing I don't like is this tower isn't as massive as the twins but thats ok I still luv it.
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #4271
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

Infrasuper,

That is exactly what the cladding will look like. The purpose of the tests is to make sure the actual materials perform well in extreme conditions.
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #4272
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Almost matches the facade on 7 WTC!
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #4273
Ebola
BANNED

The building, without any doubt, will look matchless, even better than 7, just like a rendering, something that you look like and can't take your eyes from. It seemes cloudy in those pictures, so the glass partly took on the color of the sky; it will look different depending on the outside conditions and time of day, and also the internal lighting. I wonder how exactly they'll light it up; it will be the greatest light show, I bet, since it's the centerpiece of lower Manhattan and they have big plans for the lighting. The Freedom Tower will look like a rendering in real life, better than its own renderings!

I was scared that the facade would look horrible, but it looks like the best modern glass facade I've EVER seen. It isn't exactly repeating itself or boring, but it is simple; it's the epitome of iconic, and the base facade will look just as good or better too. The simple steel where the facade has angles is a nice addition and makes it look perfect; I hope they do something like light it up too, maybe in different colors.

The mock fadade chunk was from the upper floors. Because it didn't have the special holes for air to come in, I am pretty sure that they were a sliver of floor 100, floor 101, and floor 102. Just so you can get an idea, but I don't think that's exactly where the chunk of facade is from:

Last edited by Ebola; April 11th, 2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #4274
Daquan13
BANNED

It will be one of the most ultra-modern high-tech office towers around. Sleek, elegant, enery-efficient, shiny and beautiful!!!

Last edited by Daquan13; April 11th, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #4275
Ebola
BANNED

It will be the greatest office tower ever, not just because it's the tallest one, but because it will set new standards for every skyscraper and because of its iconic status and what it soars for. It will be the building everyone in the world will want to see when close to lower Manhattan.
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4276
Daquan13
BANNED

That's so right!!
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #4277
Ebola
BANNED

I guess the below grade construction won't be as flashy as it was with the old WTC with nothing but a maze of steel beams, but at least the below grade work for this tower will be completed before the year is over and at least the first below grade floor is there now.

This tower has grown a lot in the past month. The ignorant may see it as being unbuilt or without progress, but the steel columns are now only half as tall as they used to be because the entire tower itself just fully jumped up an entire floor. Because of the angle of the camera, and because it's all below grade and in a corner, it's hard to see. People may moan about taking it months to build one floor, but this is the first below grade floor, and unlike any other project, this is the most complex because of many things in the tower's way, such as the tracks and power lines and remains, and other reasons like the unmatched structure of the skyscraper itself. The next floor will clearly take a fraction of the time, with the above grade ones taking even less time.

I also forgot that it's not just the tower that has grown its first floor; the ENTIRE area around the skyscraper is part of the skyscraper and the entire area around it just went up a floor, meaning the "pit" is less deep. In other words, the below grade floorplan of this skyscraper is much bigger than the above grade floorplan; its structure is clearly a part of everything around it for the first floor and all the below grade floors according to the section plan that showed the WFC Connector.

On a side not, it seems like activity on the entire site as a whole has more than doubled, with many new cranes and more heavy machinery. In just lower Manhattan, there's over a dozen skyscrapers over 225 meters going up, with the WTC and Freedom Tower being the apex of all of lower Manhattan.

Last edited by Ebola; April 11th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #4278
Daquan13
BANNED

Those will be the sub-basement floors.

Of course you know, the first or ground floor starts at street level. I think that it'll have at least 7 sub (below grade) levels like the Twins did.

I can't wait for this to be a 16-acre city-within-a-city again!!
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #4279
Ebola
BANNED

I'm sure that there will be at least four below grade floors, seven at most maybe at a different part of the site. The core may be reaching three now, but I think there's only four before it starts to reach grade. (Four sublevels this time because they're larger/taller.) So in reality, if you don't count the grade line as where you start to measure height the old WTC was around 1,400 feet tall and the FT over 1,800 feet tall. In old construction pictures of the WTC, the towers were sticking up from 40 to 80 feet below grade without any earth around them.

City within a city is the epitome of what it is. It has EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, save cheap residential space. The positive econimic impact and just plain impact on lower Manhattan and the entire city will be greater than that of even the old WTC and perhaps any other complex. Already, several major fiscal companies are drawn to it all and the area around it is on fire with activity and excitment. It's great to see how something so good can come out of something so bad and how the good can wholly and totally consume the bad.

In around one year, the entire site will be covered in tower cranes with baby skyscrapers sprouting up all over.

Last edited by Ebola; April 11th, 2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #4280
Daquan13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
I'm sure that there will be at least four below grade floors, seven at most maybe at a different part of the site. The core may be reaching three now, but I think there's only four before it starts to reach grade. (Four sublevels this time because they're larger/taller.) So in reality, if you don't count the grade line as where you start to measure height the old WTC was around 1,400 feet tall and the FT over 1,800 feet tall. In old construction pictures of the WTC, the towers were sticking up from 40 to 80 feet below grade without any earth around them.

City within a city is the epitome of what it is. It has EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, save cheap residential space. The positive econimic impact and just plain impact on lower Manhattan and the entire city will be greater than that of even the old WTC and perhaps any other complex. Already, several major fiscal companies are drawn to it all and the area around it is on fire with activity and excitment.

Yeah, I think the main reason why THIS tower seems to make people think that it's taking an extremely long time to come to street level is the fact that not only the core is being built from concrete, but also, the steel columns and girders in the infrastructure will also be encased in concrete. Those steel columns that we see standing will all be sealed in concrete, hence the reason for the nail-like protrusions on the beams.

Going back to the old WTC, the main reason that it took off at amazing speed was the fact that hardly any concrete was used except maybe for the foundation and floors. Nor was there any masonary used in the construction of the towers.

The Twins just didn't have that extra measure of protection that might have helped to protect the steel columns in the infrastructure from buckling under the tremendous weight of the rubble once they fell.

And besides, if I remember correctly, concrete does not require fireproofing, since it won't weaken or soften like the steel columns and floor trusses did with the Twins.

Last edited by Daquan13; April 11th, 2008 at 10:05 PM.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center