daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #42841
cg042497

Likes (Received): 22

By the way, as we saw in earlier pictures, one of the final mast pieces is now on site. I'm assuming the other uninstalled sections have arrived on site by now as well?
cg042497 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #42842
cg042497

Likes (Received): 22

Thanks L.A.F.2
cg042497 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #42843
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

I'm not so sure. The pic 2 pages back of another piece looks more like piece 14 or 16 with the spikes on its corners like that. Section 13 just rectangular. Also, if you look at the bottom of that piece, you'll see the connection point is rectangular, while piece 13's base connection point needs to be round to fit the top of section 12.

And your welcome.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:04 AM   #42844
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

The pic that we saw is of section#16,so it's safe to assume that the other sections arrived as well.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #42845
Calvin Coolidge
Keep Cool

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
You guys have no nostalgic spirit its just constant bias to this and bias to that
Nostalgia has its place, but Manhattan Island isn't central Paris. It's not an urban museum consigned to be preserved for the ages just the way it is now. It's a dynamic, constantly changing, and dense corporate center for the world. There's gonna be new stuff once in a while.

To say that Hudson Yards should not be built because it would block the views of the ESB from part of Jersey is equivalent to saying that the ESB shouldn't have been built in the first place because it blocked the views from parts of Jersey of the Chrysler Building or the MetLife Tower.

Maybe the PA shouldn't have rebuilt the World Trade Center... after all, the old towers blocked out the Woolworth building from many angles. It'd be nice to be able to see it from more places again.

Sorry your view might change. It's changing for millions of other people too, all the time, every day. That's one of the most incredible things about New York. I wish that the view from my little suburban tract house could be so fluid.

A new skyscraper or two outside my bedroom window every year? I'd pay extra for that.
Calvin Coolidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:22 AM   #42846
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

They are really installing the windows really fast. You can already see the new glass row ending already. They say the fadding will be done by May I think it might end earlyer than that. Probably early April. And whats that black and blue covering on the top for.image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squirrel02/[/QUOTE]

Joshua Dodd liked this post
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #42847
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2917

Very well said, Calvin!
As much as I hate to see the ESB lose its dominance, it's had its time for too long. It will still be the king of midtown for many more years to come!

And the blue netting, if I believe, is the safety cocoon?
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #42848
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Coolidge View Post
Nostalgia has its place, but Manhattan Island isn't central Paris. It's not an urban museum consigned to be preserved for the ages just the way it is now. It's a dynamic, constantly changing, and dense corporate center for the world. There's gonna be new stuff once in a while.

To say that Hudson Yards should not be built because it would block the views of the ESB from part of Jersey is equivalent to saying that the ESB shouldn't have been built in the first place because it blocked the views from parts of Jersey of the Chrysler Building or the MetLife Tower.

Maybe the PA shouldn't have rebuilt the World Trade Center... after all, the old towers blocked out the Woolworth building from many angles. It'd be nice to be able to see it from more places again.

Sorry your view might change. It's changing for millions of other people too, all the time, every day. That's one of the most incredible things about New York. I wish that the view from my little suburban tract house could be so fluid.

A new skyscraper or two outside my bedroom window every year? I'd pay extra for that.
I hope you're not mocking me, but thank you for wording it in a more thoughful way unlike some other people

Calvin Coolidge, Rodhano liked this post
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #42849
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Who cares about ESB at this point? It's barely visible as it is.
Yeah... who cares about what is arguably the greatest skyscrapers in the history of mankind, might as well tear it down..

r0cc0 liked this post
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #42850
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Nobody cares about overtaking the Chrysler and it is "one of the greatest skyscrapers in mankind"
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #42851
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2628

I really would love to see a clear shot of the comunnications ring from above.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #42852
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Does anyone have any pictures from inside the 1WTC lobby or mechanical floors? I'd love to see what it looks like inside!
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #42853
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

My goodness I'm in a predicament here. I've got friends arguing with each other left and right. It feels like WWI all over again.

I will say this: You both make excellent points, and I can understand both sides. On one hand I don't think HY shouldn't be built because it blocks the view, but I understand you're nostalgia and feel for you. On the other hand, I don't find ESB obsolete. It still dominates. However, I don't mind other towers joining it as they reach to the heavens.

Please stop arguing guys. You've made great points, but let's not let this go too far.

r0cc0 liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #42854
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Okay, you are right
I guess the Americans have better say over it due to them seeing it more often... more connection to it
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #42855
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
My goodness I'm in a predicament here. I've got friends arguing with each other left and right. It feels like WWI all over again.

I will say this: You both make excellent points, and I can understand both sides. On one hand I don't think HY shouldn't be built because it blocks the view, but I understand you're nostalgia and feel for you. On the other hand, I don't find ESB obsolete. It still dominates. However, I don't mind other towers joining it as they reach to the heavens.

Please stop arguing guys. You've made great points, but let's not let this go too far.
If you think about it the view will be blocked only from a certain point... Go down the road 2-3 miles and you get your view back,, it's only going to block that view,(unless that view is outside your front door, then it would suck) from a very limited certain area.
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #42856
LegitimateAnswer
:P

Likes (Received): 2

Humbly, 4 WTC undermines the majesty of the building. Not sure whether to excitedly await the construction of the other towers since I would prefer just one supertall.
LegitimateAnswer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #42857
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegitimateAnswer View Post
Humbly, 4 WTC undermines the majesty of the building. Not sure whether to excitedly await the construction of the other towers since I would prefer just one supertall.
I'm not sure I understand your point. Each tower is designed to compliment another and the entire complex. It's intended design purpose is to be like a spiral affect starting from the tallest, tower 1, going down to 4 and to the Memorial Pools
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #42858
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkur98 View Post
They are really installing the windows really fast. You can already see the new glass row ending already. They say the fadding will be done by May I think it might end earlyer than that. Probably early April. And whats that black and blue covering on the top for.image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squirrel02/
[/QUOTE]

And what exactly are they doing with the vents that's making them look invisible?
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #42859
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes

By Matthew Ziegel

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Old March 14th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #42860
LegitimateAnswer
:P

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point. Each tower is designed to compliment another and the entire complex. It's intended design purpose is to be like a spiral affect starting from the tallest, tower 1, going down to 4 and to the Memorial Pools
Right, that is the design. I do not embrace it though, because other towers, their height, their proximity to tower 1, undermine the latter's position and prestige in the skyline. Yes, the complex as a whole adds tremendously to New York City, but I would prefer a tower without rivals. Similar to ESB's secluded position in the skyline.
LegitimateAnswer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center