daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #4281
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

They have been pouring concrete in that one corner all day thats for sure.

That first complete floor slab though probably won't be poured until the northern core formwork is raised up again.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #4282
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Yeah you're right. Basically, the only concrete used in the old towers was on the steel trusses, creating flat floors, and in the foundation for holding the steel beams, I think. Everything part of the structure was steel, and it looked amazing without any skin/internal objects. Because it was left all exposed with old fireproofing and because of the impact itself with the large amount of fuel, each of the four structural systems of the old towers gave out. This is different, but many times stronger and won't have the same problem. They don't have much in common.

Last edited by Ebola; April 11th, 2008 at 10:08 PM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #4283
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Some of the lessons learned from the rise and fall of the old WTC will, in this case, be applied to the Freedom Tower, as well as to Towers 2, 3, 4, and 5 when built. Technically, they will be inhereted from 7 WTC.

-For instance, wider stairwells to allow more room for occupants to go down to the street as the firefighters and other emergency personell come up.

-No interior support columns will be used, allowing more floor rental space for offices, but no floor trusses will be used either.

-Thicker more effective fireproofing and stronger more sturdier lightweight alloy steel that can still support the tower and make it stand up longer in the unlikely event of another 09-11-style attack.

-Plus a unique pressurised air system in the core to help remove smoke from the building and allow much cleaner breathable air.

-Elevators will be security-badge-operable only, to help discourage and deter any would-be terrorists from ever trying to smuggle anything suspicious into the tower.

-In addition to the 187-foot high concrete base, I'm pretty cetain that they'll have surveilence cameras there as well.

Last edited by Daquan13; April 12th, 2008 at 05:30 AM.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #4284
Ebola
BANNED

I'm pretty sure that the base isn't totally made of concrete; the concrete only goes up about 20 feet. The rest of the base is made up of massive steel beams and an amazing glass wall with the steel behind it and something behind the steel.

In terms of safety and strength and even tech and maybe green tech, you can't get any better.
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4285
Daquan13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
I'm pretty sure that the base isn't totally made of concrete; the concrete only goes up about 20 feet. The rest of the base is made up of massive steel beams and an amazing glass wall with the steel behind it and something behind the steel.

In terms of safety and strength and even tech and maybe green tech, you can't get any better.

Yeah, I know that. But you mean 20 FLOORS, don't you?

It the rendering of the base, you can see the giant massive steel columns and beams showing behind the glass facade.

Last edited by Daquan13; April 12th, 2008 at 05:32 AM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4286
Daquan13
BANNED

Quote:

Yeah, I know that. The concrete base is behind the steel.

In the rendering of the base, you can see the giant massive steel columns and beams showing behind the glass facade.

Last edited by Daquan13; April 12th, 2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #4287
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Of course there will be an exterior observation deck, that is, if you'd like to have every cell in your body fried and unable to replicate itself properly. The crown will contain all the com stuff.

If they put it in the spire, that's a different sotry, but it isn't going to happen according to logic.
Can't you let a man hope? Geesh.

Solution: Ditch the communications set-up. Last I checked they already replaced the gear from the original WTC, and I don't there isn't a huge demand for any more broadcasting towers of that type.

Probably won't happen but whatever. I think an outdoor observation deck would make everyone a lot happier.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #4288
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

New york need the new broadcasting system. Not only is the Empire State Building feed not all that great. It isn't big enough to range across the whole of the city. I'm sure the new system can help the ESB and some of the other towers in the city. And I like the spire it makes the tower look complete.
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #4289
Ebola
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Can't you let a man hope? Geesh.

Solution: Ditch the communications set-up. Last I checked they already replaced the gear from the original WTC, and I don't there isn't a huge demand for any more broadcasting towers of that type.

Probably won't happen but whatever. I think an outdoor observation deck would make everyone a lot happier.

Without the spire, the Freedom Tower is 1,400 feet tall (427m) - give or take a few feet, hopefully give. It would be cool to see a platform on top of and around the crown, making a 1,400+ obs deck, taller than that of the old WTC. Get rid of the com stuff and I bet the crown would no longer be needed. Alas, the only way I think they'll do an outside obs deck is if there's no com stuff, and it's likely that they will use communications equipment around and inside the crown. Maybe the roof of 2 or 3 or 4 WTC? 1,300 feet seems high. Of course, I'm sure we'll see a building with an observation deck taller than the twin towers and Freedom Tower come some years, so until then, we'll have to wait.

Last edited by Ebola; April 12th, 2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #4290
Daquan13
BANNED

I read a while back that a deal was reached between the city and the co who will be doing the installation work of the antenna.

So yes, the spire / antenna WILL be installed atop the tower.
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #4291
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

when can we see the core to start rise ?
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #4292
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Without the spire, the Freedom Tower is 1,400 feet tall (427m) - give or take a few feet, hopefully give. It would be cool to see a platform on top of and around the crown, making a 1,400+ obs deck, taller than that of the old WTC. Get rid of the com stuff and I bet the crown would no longer be needed. Alas, the only way I think they'll do an outside obs deck is if there's no com stuff, and it's likely that they will use communications equipment around and inside the crown. Maybe the roof of 2 or 3 or 4 WTC? 1,300 feet seems high. Of course, I'm sure we'll see a building with an observation deck taller than the twin towers and Freedom Tower come some years, so until then, we'll have to wait.
We could still keep the spire without the equipment inside and ditch the crown. I think that the spire is going to look great when it is lit up at night.

Good point about other observation decks. Hopefully someone will realize the desire for an exterior one.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #4293
HappyGiuseppe

Likes (Received): 8

OMG!

Man, I just saw this thread. Hard to catch up...

Anyway, I love the concept, I love the symbology, I love the ground level! (something difficult to find when u have so many skyscrapers around)

I hate the spire on top of T1, though.

For me, the best tower is, by far, Tower2, by Norman Foster... The guy's a genius. It embellishes NYC's skyline with a far resemblance, I think, of Chrysler Tower (maybe too far a resemblance... )

Go NYC! I just love that city

greetings from Colombia.
HappyGiuseppe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #4294
Ebola
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
when can we see the core to start rise ?

The core is already 2-3 floors tall, maybe more.

You cannot know this simply by looking at the core because the area around the core is being built up too.
Old April 12th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #4295
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Wow a whole page of Daquan and Ebola chatting. Thanks for all the updated pictures.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #4296
Ebola
BANNED

What? Is it against the law? Oh and you're welcome. They took me 29 years to take.

The cam takes a picture every 15 mins and it's almost as good as any other picture since you see everything, but other angles are important too; alas, those sort of pictures only come from the PA people who snap pictures, about once every 2 to 3 weeks since few people are allowed there. They only took one new picture this month, and it was a picture of 7WTC. There might be something on the PANYNJ site, but I don't have the link right now.

Last edited by Ebola; April 12th, 2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #4297
Daquan13
BANNED

I think that he seems more appreciative and glad than anything else.

Seems to take some time in getting over to wtcrising though.
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #4298
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Whatever mental case.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #4299
thryve
같같같같같

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by econ_tim View Post

Replicas of New Tower Endure Nature뭩 Fury and a Test Blast

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
Published: April 9, 2008
One World Trade Center has not yet emerged from below ground, but its facade has already survived earthquakes, hurricanes and an explosion that shook the earth a quarter-mile away.
Paranoid, much?
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #4300
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryve View Post
Paranoid, much?
safety?
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center