daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:49 PM   #43281
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
Actually downtown Brooklyn all the way up to park slope is the new trendy place to live and more and more people who used to live Manhattan are moving up there,.
I live in Park Slope. It went from an affordable, quiet neighborhood in 1998 when I first moved there, to yuppie/hipster central in a matter of about 5 years. My favorite bodega closed so that a gourmet burger place could open. Tons of the old greasy spoons and markets around here have closed in favor of wine bars, midcentury modern furniture stores, vintage clothing shops, etc.

Don't we have enough of those across the city as is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofHeightMatters View Post
What's that big patch of empty space on the left shoreline on the NJ side?
Liberty State Park
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:32 PM   #43282
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Let's not forget how the hipster's have taking over red hook and 4 ave to Carroll st while actually that's was for the best because those neighborhoods when i was a kid those where bad neighborhoods, sorry to go off topic .

Last edited by yankee fan for life; March 23rd, 2013 at 11:39 PM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:43 PM   #43283
BeLogical
BANNED

Likes (Received): 99

Brooklyn may be the up and coming spot for the middle income hipsters, but almost all the important people call Manhattan home.
BeLogical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #43284
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLogical View Post
Brooklyn may be the up and coming spot for the middle income hipsters, but almost all the important people call Manhattan home.
I know only the 1.2millon who live in manhattan are are classy and the other 7 million new yorkers are not what ever you say, anyway back to topic how come nobody and made comment on the progress that was made on the communication platform ring?
Old March 24th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #43285
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

base progress:

[IMG]http://oi45.************/2b7dbd.jpg[/IMG]

Nigel20 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #43286
Daxter

Likes (Received): 0

awesome, I hope one day I can be there
Daxter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #43287
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

Posted by user "JARsofMAyo" on Reddit

image hosted on flickr

Swiddle, r0cc0, AUTOTHRILL liked this post
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #43288
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post

Yeah, let me eat Lobster

this_city liked this post

Last edited by wjfox; March 24th, 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: No need to embed the previous post!
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #43289
eyeofodin

Likes (Received): 25

Today from DUMBO:

Chapelo, Swiddle liked this post
eyeofodin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #43290
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Cladding is just plain BORING,, hope those fins and led's help it out.. Base that is.
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #43291
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

[QUOTE=Chapelo;101521991]Aw, shit did I just get trolled?

Mwhuahuahua Hehehe!
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #43292
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
Cladding is just plain BORING,, hope those fins and led's help it out.. Base that is.
I disagree, I think the cladding really is world class, it's much better than the Shard's for instance.
Old March 24th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #43293
SebaFun
Sebastian

Likes (Received): 16341

The perfec tower!!!

Awesome this update! I love wtc, i love new york!

I Love USA
SebaFun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #43294
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

Good morning.

By ken mccown

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenmccown/

By Keith Michael NYC

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithmichaelnyc/

By ses7

I love this angle.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Swiddle, r0cc0 liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #43295
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

Working on Sunday again. What might this be? It looks too "solid" to be part of the communications ring:

[IMG]http://i47.************/20g07r4.png[/IMG]

Edit: Now that I can see it more closely, it is four or five sections of the communications ring and/or temporary platforms for it...

[IMG]http://i45.************/o885e8.png[/IMG]

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 96540 others disliked this post

Last edited by Swiddle; March 24th, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #43296
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Swiile....off topic but the reason for the confusion between the words "then" and "than" is simple....lack of proper grammar knowledge!! (p.s. I know the difference!!)
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #43297
RKOwens4

Likes (Received): 1

I'm sure this has been discussed already, but before I'm attacked, I will say that I haven't been "in the loop" in reading all postings here in many months (I used to every day for over five years). But, does anyone know if the Port Authority has discussed or hinted at any possibility to the consideration of opening the rooftop ring to make it part of the observation deck? I know, I know, I used to get so adament with others when they asked this years ago, telling them that the rooftop space is already taken up by window washing equipment, huge air vents, and harmful electromagnetic radiation from the radio equipment. But today, it seems to me to be more plausible. The radio transmitters have been removed, and placing the deck in the rings would not affect the window washing stuff whatsoever.

The way I see it, the rings could be modified for public visitors and escalators could bring them from the lowest roof level up (much like the original deck on the South Tower), with elevators or escalators bringing them from the indoor deck to the roof. And before anyone shouts at me about the added dead loads (from escalators) and live loads (of visitors), I'm a certified civil engineer in Louisiana and well aware of this. However, keep in mind that the tower's rooftop dead loads were already greatly reduced with the removal of the radio transmitters as well as the spire cladding. Anyway, has the PA ever expressed consideration about this?
RKOwens4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #43298
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
First photo looks very futuristic!!!
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #43299
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens4 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed already, but before I'm attacked, I will say that I haven't been "in the loop" in reading all postings here in many months (I used to every day for over five years). But, does anyone know if the Port Authority has discussed or hinted at any possibility to the consideration of opening the rooftop ring to make it part of the observation deck? I know, I know, I used to get so adament with others when they asked this years ago, telling them that the rooftop space is already taken up by window washing equipment, huge air vents, and harmful electromagnetic radiation from the radio equipment. But today, it seems to me to be more plausible. The radio transmitters have been removed, and placing the deck in the rings would not affect the window washing stuff whatsoever.

The way I see it, the rings could be modified for public visitors and escalators could bring them from the lowest roof level up (much like the original deck on the South Tower), with elevators or escalators bringing them from the indoor deck to the roof. And before anyone shouts at me about the added dead loads (from escalators) and live loads (of visitors), I'm a certified civil engineer in Louisiana and well aware of this. However, keep in mind that the tower's rooftop dead loads were already greatly reduced with the removal of the radio transmitters as well as the spire cladding. Anyway, has the PA ever expressed consideration about this?
The ring arrangement is still the same, the newest renderings by Miller Hare illustrates how the thing will look just after opening, it will eventually get clooged with transmission equipment spreaded all over the rings and the upper sections of mast.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #43300
ILOVENY

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens4 View Post

I think they said something about radiation from the equipment installed on the ring being too high for something like that.
ILOVENY no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center