daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #43321
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
How many People actually live in Manhattan???? This may be a stupid question, but is that salt or fresh water by the Stat of Lib. or is it freshwater running into the ocean? CHI BEARS any animated cladding updates soon?
About 1.6 million people live in Manhattan (down from 2.3 million 100 years ago), and the population swells to about 4 million during working hours Mon-Fri, and as many as 5 million for some events.

From a NYT article, Manhattan residents:

1910 2.3 million
1950 2 million
1980 1.4 million
2010 1.6 million

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/re...anted=all&_r=0

The Dynamic Population of Manhattan (NYU study)

http://wagner.nyu.edu/rudincenter/pu..._manhattan.pdf

As to the other question, the water near the Statue of Liberty is a mixture of fresh and salt water. The Hudson and East Rivers flow into New York Harbor, along with other minor freshwater tributaries (the word "fresh" is relative, though).

Last edited by McSky; March 25th, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #43322
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
...not to be picky, but isn't this the west side of the tower?
What is covering the entrance and why?
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #43323
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Yes, west entrance. The concrete slab you see there used to support Atlanta's temporary hoisting elevators, I believe the slab is also temporary.

At the right side there's been some blast test to repair the structural integrity of the area.

Don't know why the entrance is fully enclosed, will try and ask.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #43324
3dstructures-heerlen

Likes (Received): 0

Permasteel is a dutch company. a doughter of permasteel is also called scheldebouw bv.
i know both are working on this tower!
3dstructures-heerlen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #43325
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

By MadMartigen

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetonezone/

by wrightrkuk

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wrightfamilyarchives/

Some great pictures, By takegoro

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/takegoro/
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #43326
LexISguy

Likes (Received): 214

Cool pictures, good morning to everyone I noticed in an earlier post the tip of the spire has been lifted to the top. Any clue when the spire erection will continue?
LexISguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #43327
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
East entrance where future tourists and visitors will access the Observation Deck lobby.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by Phillip Kalantzis Cope, on Flickr
What exactly are they doing to that white walkway that used to lead over the road to the twins. When I was there in 2011, it just leads to nothing. Will it be demolished or used again?
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #43328
3dstructures-heerlen

Likes (Received): 0

It wil be demolished. People wil than make use of the new tunnel! at the wfc entrance!
3dstructures-heerlen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #43329
Otie
Researcher

The one on the photo will be preserved and will connect the WFC to Liberty Park. BTW final design packages have been completed and the Board has already authorized the final structural contract for building Liberty Park.

The bridge on Vesey will remain some years more until 9A route and Brookfield renovation complete, figure 2016.

StrongIsland, Swiddle liked this post
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #43330
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
The one on the photo will be preserved and will connect the WFC to Liberty Park. BTW final design packages have been completed and the Board has already authorized the final structural contract for building Liberty Park.

The bridge on Vesey will remain some years more until 9A route and Brookfield renovation complete, figure 2016.
Wait, so even though Tower 1 will be open way before that the underpass will sti not be open? I though West Street was supposed to be done by next year...
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #43331
Otie
Researcher

The underpass will be opened as early as 2015 but before they turn down the bridge, additional pedestrian walkways have to be built on 9A route.

StrongIsland liked this post
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #43332
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Depressing that there will be so much construction surrounding the area for years to come.

Otie, any information about the temporary loading docks that'll be used for 1WTC since the VSC ramps won't be ready right away? Location, size, etc. Thanks!
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #43333
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

The battle to build the new World Trade Center

"Why has the new World Trade Center proved so controversial? Is it truly safe? And will Anna Wintour keep her private bathroom? Edward Helmore finds out.

Manhattan’s One World Trade Center, aka “The Freedom Tower” or the most politicised, high-profile skyscraper in the world, is clearly visible from every approach to the city. And when you’re at the top you can see every approach in return..."

"...Still, the site continues to emanate anxiety. When the steelworkers heat beams for welding, causing puffs of smoke, the police department is flooded with calls reporting fire. And some prospective tenants have expressed misgivings about working in the tower. “There’s only one place in the United States that’s been attacked by terrorists twice and it’s the World Trade Center,” says Baroni frankly. “So we know that when we’re building One World Trade Center, we’re building a target. That’s why this is going to be the strongest office building ever made.”

The security measures are founded in concrete. Not only are the tower’s first 20 storeys a windowless concrete block strong enough to withstand the blast of a truck bomb, but the building also has a concrete core running up its centre. Altogether the developers have used 5.4million cubic feet of concrete, enough to fill 60 Olympic-size swimming pools. A special mix of materials means it is resistant to 14,000lbs per square inch of pressure (normal concrete is good to 3,000).

There is close to 400,000lbs of steel per floor, 10 times the amount used in the average building. The glass that encases the entire structure is shatterproof, the stairs and elevator shafts have their own ventilation systems and one staircase is earmarked solely for emergency services. Stan Conroy, who is overseeing the laying of the concrete floors, knows how strong it is. “You could put JFK airport in there and it still wouldn’t come down,” he says. “If we did get attacked I wouldn’t run from the building, I would run into it.” "
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #43334
Rain Drops
I'll Fly Away/Blue skies.

Beautiful Photo

I saw this picture in Beautiful Planet Earth page on Facebook..sorry if it has already been posted.

[IMG][/IMG]

AFRICA

sabitova, sergiomazzi liked this post

Last edited by Rain Drops; March 25th, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Rain Drops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #43335
Otie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Otie, any information about the temporary loading docks that'll be used for 1WTC since the VSC ramps won't be ready right away? Location, size, etc. Thanks!
They are going to be located at the east side of the tower, this entrance side will be temporary closed.

spectre000 liked this post
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #43336
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
How many People actually live in Manhattan???? This may be a stupid question, but is that salt or fresh water by the Stat of Lib. or is it freshwater running into the ocean? CHI BEARS any animated cladding updates soon?
Been a bit busy latley, will work on one today and will post it today!
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #43337
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

Here it is, the question mark is just there cause I havent had any pictures at all for that section in almost a month, so its outdated. The other 3 sides are updated and to date!

bigreach liked this post
Chibears85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #43338
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
Here it is, the question mark is just there cause I havent had any pictures at all for that section in almost a month, so its outdated. The other 3 sides are updated and to date!

Not to be a Debbie Downer...but, I'm fairly certain there isn't any cladding on the area with the question mark. In fact, I believe there is still scaffolding there. You can see some of the scaffolding in the recent photo with the spire tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
3....2....1 Lift off!

By ironmike40, on Instagram

http://statigr.am/ironmike40
Looks like they installed it to that other piece that arrived a few days ago.

マイルズ liked this post
MusicMan84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #43339
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofHeightMatters View Post
The antenna one 1WTC has ALWAYS looked hideous. Together with the parapet around it, it will create the ugliest roof feature in the history of skyscrapers.
Your opinion not mine.

Last edited by yankee fan for life; March 25th, 2013 at 10:10 PM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #43340
Andy81

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Stan Conroy, who is overseeing the laying of the concrete floors, knows how strong it is. “You could put JFK airport in there and it still wouldn’t come down,” he says. “If we did get attacked I wouldn’t run from the building, I would run into it.” "
I bet he would!

I don't think the site will get attacked again, not in such a destructive way as 9/11. Maybe a lone crackpot will try it on, but it won't be affiliated to (or the work of) an organized 'cell'. The surrounding buildings and Subway network are the most likely targets, so maybe he does have a point.

The base of the building is safe but extremely ugly, so I've nicknamed it the Volvo tower. I don't expect it to catch on...

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center