daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #4341
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

wtcrising.com

Installation of tower-foundation steel columns (two cranes on site)

* Pouring concrete for the foundation and rebar installation for core and sheer wall
* Utility installation and tie-ins

Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #4342
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
The workers spent the last two weeks jackhammering 50 square yards of weak concrete from the core because it contained too many air bubbles, but everything is going back to full speed now. All of the concrete poured before this bad batch was perfect.
Two weeks to remove 50 square yards of concrete? How the heck were they removing it, hammer and chisel? Unless it was 10 feet thick or something like that it should have only taken a couple of days at most. No wonder this building seems like it's going slow, because it is!
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #4343
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Your not really suppose to take pictures of skyscrapers and other projects in NYC. I've seen people stop and ask what they were doing. But hey all that craziness could have died down. But everytime I've come back to the city, I've seen people ask not to take picture of the skyscrapers. And believe me you don't want the NYPD breathing down your neck, they don't play when it come to anything.
That's called "scare tactics". Its not illegal to take photos of buildings therefore anyone telling you not to take photos or forcing you not to take photos is breaking the law. We've had something like this in this country and its illegal to do so. We have a thread in the UK skybar all about it.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #4344
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Your not really suppose to take pictures of skyscrapers and other projects in NYC. I've seen people stop and ask what they were doing. But hey all that craziness could have died down. But everytime I've come back to the city, I've seen people ask not to take picture of the skyscrapers. And believe me you don't want the NYPD breathing down your neck, they don't play when it come to anything.
are you one of paranoid people there?
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #4345
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

The article about the weak concrete that was posted at WNY:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenwichBoy View Post
Posted: Tuesday, 15 April 2008 6:15PM

Weak Concrete Removed from WTC's Freedom Tower Foundation

NEW YORK (AP) -- Builders of the Freedom Tower poured a bad batch of concrete into the foundation of the skyscraper replacing the World Trade Center and spent the last few weeks removing it after tests showed it wasn't strong enough, officials said Tuesday.

About 50 cubic yards of concrete was jackhammered away from the core foundation of the 1,776-foot tower under construction at ground zero. More than 22,000 cubic yards of concrete have been poured so far, and no other batches have failed strength tests, said Steve Coleman, spokesman for the building's owner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

The tower, the symbolic replacement to the twin towers destroyed on Sept. 11, is being built with concrete stronger than any other building in New York City.

The foundation should be able to withstand 14,000 pounds per square inch, about three times the strength of concrete in an average home and over five times the strength in a sidewalk. A tower rebuilt north of ground zero two years ago, 7 World Trade Center, was built with concrete at a strength of 12,000 pounds per square inch, officials said.

Experts said many factors could create a poor batch: weather; the temperature at which concrete is poured and hardens; the time it takes for concrete to travel from the plant; and the way it is mixed. The issue is likely to affect the trade center site more as concrete trucks roll in over the next two years to build the memorial to the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the concrete for up to five office towers.

The concrete that was removed from the Freedom Tower varied in strength between 6,000 and 10,000 pounds per square inch, Coleman said Tuesday. It was tested once it was poured, on Dec. 18, and separate pieces were removed from the batch and tested successfully a month after the pour, he said.

But contractors working on the site noticed a 6-inch section ``did not look right'' and appeared to have excessive air pockets trapped in, he said. The builders removed core samples from the area, tested their strength, and decided in mid-February to take the concrete out, he said.

The work was done over the past several weeks in areas to be north and south of planned elevator shafts, as well as from three other small sections, Coleman said.

Concrete was poured in other parts of the building over the past few months, and the construction schedule for the tower, expected to open in 2011, wasn't affected, Coleman said.

A message left with the main concrete supplier, Quadrozzi Concrete Corp., wasn't returned Tuesday. Tony Arnold, president of iCrete, the company that developed the high-strength technology for the tower, said the small amount concrete must have been mixed improperly.

``We have had no batches that have not achieved the strength,'' he said.
Removing below-strength concrete that has already been poured is rare in the industry, said Greg Vickers, managing director of operations for the National Ready Mixed Concrete Association.

``Everything about the construction process is overdesigned to avoid failures,'' he said.

ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #4346
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I've had construction workers tell me not to take pictures, but I go ahead and do it anyway. As far as complete buildings, no one cares if you are taking pictures. (Unless maybe they see you walking around taking pictures of all the security cameras or something.)
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #4347
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by econ_tim View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I've had construction workers tell me not to take pictures, but I go ahead and do it anyway. As far as complete buildings, no one cares if you are taking pictures. (Unless maybe they see you walking around taking pictures of all the security cameras or something.)
It certainly isn't illegal.. I think he mean that it is socially unacceptable. Nobody likes when a tourist is blocking the sidewalk by taking pictures.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #4348
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Question: Does all the wtcs start their ground floor from street level or from below.
In the photos it looks like they're really below street level. (although floors of freedom tower they're working on now might be below ground floors)

And the old wtcs had their ground lobby at street level
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #4349
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Well the thing is that for some time after 9/11 there were 'precautions' taken including discouraging people from taking pictures of tall buildings and the subway. It's not something that's seriously enfored, but maybe it's in the back of some people's minds.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #4350
ramvid01

The first floor i guess is the lobby at street level for all the wtc towers. However 1 WTC does have basement floors.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #4351
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I never said you couldn't take pictures I just said the NYPD would rather you not take pictures of the skyscrapers. And I'm from the streets I could give a shit less what people do to rich peoples buildings, they ain't trying to blow up the projects so why would I be paranoid. I like skyscrapers as a art form but believe me there are other things I'm worried about you feel me. Plus I said when I came back to the city, this was 2004 when the NYPD had the big guns out. And I don't need to take picture of a city I'm going to see everyday lol.
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #4352
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

I note that Pope Benedict XVI will be visiting the site in a couple of days. Should be very interesting.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #4353
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1668

is not illegal to take pictures, but if you do look supicious you may be asked by the NYPD or somebody else the reasons you are taking the pictures for...

I taken pics of buildings around Manhattan, i dont think is that of an issue!is to hard to enforce something like that...

btw it makes me feel better to finally see pics of the WTC project in progress...i was waiting for months to see this project start fully!

Last edited by ElCrioyo; April 16th, 2008 at 08:41 PM.
ElCrioyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #4354
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Taking pictures from the street is part of the public domain. It would be unconstitutional to make something like that illegal. Therefore, if anyone ever tells you not to take a picture in the street (i.e. the NYPD), there's no need for you to comply. The NYPD can't make up their own rules any more than you can. Their job is to enforce existing law, not create it. I'm from DC so we're flooded with tourists too, but it's not like anyone cares if you stop by the White House and start snapping away! Bit of a nuisance but unless you look like you're taking measurements it's not a problem.
pennster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #4355
kingsc

I'm for people who don't seem to know much about the NYPD, they do what they wait if you like it or not. Lets not forget about the patriot act the goverments way around the contitution. Plus if the NYPD tells you to do something you better do it. New york is a big azz city so they don't have time to play with people. Remember the NYPD put alot of people in jail for protesting. And they didn't have the right to put those people in jail. But they did it anyway you know why, because their the NYPD thats why.
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #4356
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

What is the deal with people posting these grossly off topic anti-American diatribes in this thread?

Go to some radical Marxist politics forum for that crap.

Back to what we are supposed to be talking about.

Does anyone know what those blue....pipe things are that they seem to be stockpiling near the south wall of the pedestrian connector near where the red crane used to be? Also someone in the Wired Forum stated they might be installing some of the roof trusses for the pedestrian connector in the next two weeks. Anyone know if this is true?
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #4357
kingsc

What the hell are you talking about bubby nobody being anti american and if you don't think I don't love my country you'd be wrong. So now I'm telling u to mind ya business before I get new york on your ass. This is a free country, there for I'll say what I want when I want. Don't like it, to bad cus that's what american stand for. Not the crap your talking about. And that my friend is the american way. Now back to the topic.
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #4358
moxwax

Likes (Received): 14

It is perfectly legal to take pictures of skyscrapers, construction, etc. in NYC. Anyone telling you otherwise is either misinformed or lying.
moxwax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #4359
kingsc

Look nobody said it wasn't legal, I just said I've seen the NYPD ask people not to take pictures of the buildings. And I've see this more then a few times. I don't know how else to say it, that just the NYPD being the NYPD their ball busters lol.

Now it's time to let this thing die. What going on at the WTC now. How do I get it on the webcam?
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #4360
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about bubby nobody being anti american and if you don't think I don't love my country you'd be wrong. So now I'm telling u to mind ya business before I get new york on your ass. This is a free country, there for I'll say what I want when I want. Don't like it, to bad cus that's what american stand for. Not the crap your talking about. And that my friend is the american way. Now back to the topic.
wtf is wrong with you I get new york on your ass ????

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center