daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:57 AM   #43621
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

My thoughts exactly!
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:33 AM   #43622
adam.dworzak

Likes (Received): 954

It was absolutely blinding half an hour ago...

Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:42 AM   #43623
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I didn't realize they've been filling in the missing glass where the exterior elevator was. Awesome!

Xoltage liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:05 AM   #43624
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

Im starting to hear that 1WTC is expected to be completed (Not opened) on July 4, 2013....
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:12 AM   #43625
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
Im starting to hear that 1WTC is expected to be completed (Not opened) on July 4, 2013....
The exterior will be completed by June at the latest, i would expect interior work to continue for months after that. My guesstimate for the beginning of occupancy would be January 1st 2014.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:24 AM   #43626
LexISguy

Likes (Received): 214

Nice video of the observation deck, I'm assuming the spire construction will continue once the communications ring is completed?
LexISguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:39 AM   #43627
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

If it takes a full year, just to complete the observation deck section, then it should be absolutely spectacular. I was disappointed to find out, that it wouldn't be 'til '15, but when I found out that the building would be open for business in '14, that is why I was under the impression, that the observation deck was going to be ready then too.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:40 AM   #43628
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic howler View Post
shouldnt the glass be slanted on the sides of the building rather than straight up and down which this video shows?
Actually, no. The building has perfectly vertical faceplates. But at certain angles, it gives the illusion of being a pyramid shape. That is due to the taper and transition of the building. But check again, the true sides really are vertical.
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:42 AM   #43629
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

It is close to being a pyramid shape, only the pointed end is "cut off" and it has a flat roof, and the circumference on top is an octagon.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:08 AM   #43630
TheCap'n

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheTubaGuy View Post
I think you made a mistake somewhere. the brightness is roughly correlated with input power, so if the 1WTC light is only 1/100,000 of the Luxor Sky Beam, then the output would only be about 3 watts!

Maybe you were using the number from here, but didn't realise that the brightness was in lumens, NOT candela.
Actually, lumens and candela measure slightly different things.
Lumens is the total brightness, and candela is light intensity.
Assuming the Vegas light is powered by xenon lamps, then according to this, and the 315000W figure you gave, the luminosity should be around 15.75 million lumens, or about 50 times brighter than the 1WTC light.
If you compare the intensity of light, then the Sky Beam would be at most 800,000 times more intense, but probably a lot less because the 1WTC light does seem to be directional.

You're making a fundamental mistake here: "Brightness" is not correlated with input power in the way you're inferring it. The lamps at the Luxor are Xenon arc lamps, which are a type of gas discharge lamp (electricity passed through high-pressure ionized gas; xenon in this case. The electricity excites the gasses, producing the extremely bright light). It's a type of HID lamp, similar to Metal Halides and High Pressure Sodium. These lamps use a TON of wattage to produce their light.

The lights of the beacon are made up of many modules of LEDs, which use far fewer watts to produce light in comparison to HID sources. This is why your calculation of 3 watts doesn't jive. The beacon on 1WTC will use far less wattage than the beam at the Luxor, but it will also not be as bright.

Candela is an archaic term that's been largely replaced, BUT... 1 candela = 1 lumen.

Luminosity is the measure of brightness, not lumens. Lumens refer to the light output of a lamp (or LED).

Suburbanist liked this post
TheCap'n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:31 AM   #43631
Portskydiver

Likes (Received): 3

So let me get this straight. The beam of light will be shooting up into the sky vertically, correct? Or is it a rotating, concentrated beam of light shooting out horizontally like a light house?
Portskydiver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:35 AM   #43632
fordgtman1992
Oregonian at heart

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post

Actually, no. The building has perfectly vertical faceplates. But at certain angles, it gives the illusion of being a pyramid shape. That is due to the taper and transition of the building. But check again, the true sides really are vertical.
4 sides are vertical, the other 4 (the upside down triangles) are slanted in order to fit. The pyramid shape is when these slanted sides are viewed on both sides of the tower.
fordgtman1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:40 AM   #43633
TheCap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portskydiver View Post
So let me get this straight. The beam of light will be shooting up into the sky vertically, correct? Or is it a rotating, concentrated beam of light shooting out horizontally like a light house?

No, it's two rotating horizontal beams of light. like a lighthouse, but two beams of light.
TheCap'n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:54 AM   #43634
LouDagreat
High in the sky

I'm still not crazy about that base. Everything above looks o.k. I'm slowly starting to like the sight of the building...but only because something is actually standing in place of the empty pit there was a few years back.
LouDagreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:16 AM   #43635
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.dworzak View Post
It was absolutely blinding half an hour ago...

so now , some area at new york will be blind view when sun rise or sun set time..??
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:36 AM   #43636
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgtman1992 View Post
4 sides are vertical, the other 4 (the upside down triangles) are slanted in order to fit. The pyramid shape is when these slanted sides are viewed on both sides of the tower.
I've always thought it looked like David Childs took one of the original towers, and cut the corners off, the cut becoming progressively narrower towards the lower floors. Not that I'm knocking the design, it's absolutely stunning, that's just the way it always appeared to me.

L.A.F.2., billgates liked this post

Last edited by Chapelo; April 3rd, 2013 at 08:57 AM.
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:55 AM   #43637
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS View Post
so now , some area at new york will be blind view when sun rise or sun set time..??
Just New Jersey.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:04 AM   #43638
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Looking at those photos from the observation deck makes me really happy. I never had the chance to climb up the twins which I really wanted to. That possibility might had gone forever if they haven't rebuilt this tower the way they did. Can't wait to go up there. It won't be the same as Kevin on Home Alone, but pretty close.

L.A.F.2., r0cc0, AlePa2013 liked this post
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM   #43639
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

High a-spire-ations at WTC

Quote:
By LOIS WEISS
Last Updated: 4:15 AM, April 3, 2013
Posted: 12:22 AM, April 3, 2013

We’re finally convinced that the One World Center antenna is going to be deemed a spire.

Yesterday, we got a peek at the faceted, rocket-like crown of the 408 foot-long “antenna” structure that looks like it will take off for another planet. While this roughly 100 foot section will soon leave terra firma on a crane ride to its 1,700 foot-high perch on top of other “antenna” pieces, the capsule will only appear to touch the stars.

Inside the shiny skin, workers are wiring up hundreds of individual LED lights, whose beams will comprise an architectural beacon flooding the tri-state area via a spinning mirror. An FAA beacon will also wink on the top. A short lightning rod will top off the tower at 1,795.4 feet above the north lobby, and all will be lit at night by a colorful array of LED lights.

With a pinnacle worthy of Major Tom and a long, curvy perch that can been identified from the Tappan Zee Bridge, we have no doubt now that One WTC will get its height certified all the way to the 1,776-foot top.

With a half-moon poised over the building yesterday morning, the Port Authority owners brought its board; partner-developer Douglas Durst; and its new One World Observatory partners, Legends Hospitality, to the unfinished 100th floor for an introduction to the upcoming one-hour visitor “experience” that they subtitle “See Forever.”

[...]

L.A.F.2., Manitopiaaa liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #43640
adam.dworzak

Likes (Received): 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS View Post
That particular view is from New Jersey, which is west of the tower. The glass reflects pretty much every sunset on a clear day; it was particularly bright yesterday. It was quite a show, for about 15 minutes. One has to be careful not to damage the sensor in the camera....
adam.dworzak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center