daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #43701
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Great collection, I didn't knew the ob deck was open on sunday.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #43702
sundrop74
Skyscraper Aficionado

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Great collection, I didn't knew the ob deck was open on sunday.
It was. I have the ticket to prove it!
sundrop74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #43703
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Wow, you must have been relieved that you got there just in time, and weren't going to go a few days later.

sundrop74 liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #43704
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Wow, you must have been relieved that you got there just in time, and weren't going to go a few days later.
Yea that is crazy! My dads firm was in WTC 2 and funny i remember barricades being set up around the perimeter about a week prior. I always felt after that day they knew something was up.

I wished i appreciated WTC then as i just took it for granted.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #43705
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundrop74 View Post
I visited the indoor and outdoor observation deck of the original World Trade Center on 9/9/2001.

I was there on the 7th of September. My wife, myself and another couple were there for the weekend. The World Trade center was our first stop. We left Sunday evening and headed back to Pa. Still kinda freaks me out to this day..

4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #43706
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post

That's how I feel. I didn't even take pictures on that trip. It was our third trip to NYC in 2 years so I didn't even bother taking a camera

4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #43707
sundrop74
Skyscraper Aficionado

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
I was there on the 7th of September. My wife, myself and another couple were there for the weekend. The World Trade center was our first stop. We left Sunday evening and headed back to Pa. Still kinda freaks me out to this day..
I am still freaked out about being there. We arrived on the 9th, and took a taxi down to Battery Park hoping to ride the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty. It was closed, so we walked to the WTC and went up in it. I wish I had taken more photos inside the observatory and the base.

We were able to take the ferry out to the SoL on Monday (Sept. 10), so I have some great photos of the WTC from that vantage point. That night we saw Michael Jackson in concert at Madison Square Garden. Got up the next morning and tragedy struck. We were finally able to get out of the city that evening.

I went back to NYC last year and visited the memorial. Tears were streaming down my face before I even saw the pools. It is a beautiful, moving space.

dipstraughtnia liked this post
sundrop74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #43708
Aaronaa4
ShanghaiPro

Likes (Received): 159

http://youtu.be/x-qKAfLZD7Q

Here is an April Update of the One World Trade Center!! Please leave advice so that I may make better videos later.

I just started my Channel and will post construction updates of skyscrapers worldwide every month!

Thanks for your support and I hope you enjoy the video
Aaronaa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #43709
Harryx5
Harry

Likes (Received): 11031

Awesome building, By Far the best Skyscraper in the world.
Harryx5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #43710
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
I see this Big fan on a lot of renders what is this? and the renders of the beacon look quite sharp Des Punk, is the rest of the spire going to end up havivg a shine as well, cause if not , I believe it'll look quite awkward. Also I hope the base looks much better at night because in the day, it almost looks Greeen.
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #43711
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

that's actually a giant clock.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #43712
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

That "fan" is the Colgate clock, in Jersey.

What you see is what we're getting.

The beacon will rotate, and the mast will be lite up like the Bank of America tower and 4 Times Square.
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #43713
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundrop74 View Post
I am still freaked out about being there. We arrived on the 9th, and took a taxi down to Battery Park hoping to ride the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty. It was closed, so we walked to the WTC and went up in it. I wish I had taken more photos inside the observatory and the base.

We were able to take the ferry out to the SoL on Monday (Sept. 10), so I have some great photos of the WTC from that vantage point. That night we saw Michael Jackson in concert at Madison Square Garden. Got up the next morning and tragedy struck. We were finally able to get out of the city that evening.

I went back to NYC last year and visited the memorial. Tears were streaming down my face before I even saw the pools. It is a beautiful, moving space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
That's how I feel. I didn't even take pictures on that trip. It was our third trip to NYC in 2 years so I didn't even bother taking a camera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Well, 9/11 was the date of my first soccer practice. I was three, so I don't really remember anything. It was really clear outside, and my mom said she would look up and see several planes flying overhead, hoping that our city (large military base) or one 90 minutes from us (the nation's largest) wasn't a target. During the next summer, I can remember my younger sister and I looking at the clock on our VCR at night while watching TV, and saying "Look Mommy, it's 9:11," without an idea in the world what it meant. It breaks my heart again and again not being able to remember, and I always try to shake it, but it comes back. I can't even explain how it feels to know so much about a day that is one of the most influential in my life, and not be able to even remember it. How can I forget something I can't even remember?

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #43714
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Well, 9/11 was the date of my first soccer practice. I was three, so I don't really remember anything. It was really clear outside, and my mom said she would look up and see several planes flying overhead, hoping that our city (large military base) or one 90 minutes from us (the nation's largest) wasn't a target. During the next summer, I can remember my younger sister and I looking at the clock on our VCR at night while watching TV, and saying "Look Mommy, it's 9:11," without an idea in the world what it meant. It breaks my heart again and again not being able to remember, and I always try to shake it, but it comes back. I can't even explain how it feels to know so much about a day that is one of the most influential in my life, and not be able to even remember it. How can I forget something I can't even remember?
Yeah, it was a terrible day. I remember it well. I was only 10 though. Hard to believe it has been so long
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #43715
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2632

I was 10 as well, but back here in the live broadcast we saw the second plane hit live, while I was getting myself all set for school (we are 2 hours behind)... what a weird feeling.

Sorry for going OT.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #43716
LouDagreat
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 150

I'll tell my 9/11 story... a little long.

I remember how beautiful it was that day. Crystal clear blue skies, not a single cloud. Truly a perfect autumn day. I was 12. I was in my English class at I.S 49. I remember laughing over something one of my classmates said when suddenly one of the assistant teachers announced a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. Even then I thought it was odd a plane could just crash into the tower by accident. A cloudless day? No way. But I was shocked nonetheless. There was no t.v so for most of the time I was trying to picture a plane inside the towers. :/

Later on in my computer class, news came in a second plane crashed into the other tower and that America was under attack. I was like "wow".

Perhaps the scariest scene was in science class. Mr. Mustachio (Yes, that was his name) came barging into the class room shock all over his face, tears forming and said "The towers collapsed! they fell! they're gone! They're just gone!". At that point, everyone had shocked faces. A few students were in tears. I was in disbelief and all I thought was "No way those towers could fall..they just couldn't. They're so big and strong." At that age I still made the connection that the Towers evinced America's strength, and were symbols of America's greatness. So I was kinda thrown into shock to hear that... But I remember the teacher saying to comfort us... "You know what..we're gonna rebuild the towers taller and stronger than they were before" :/

Then my brother came to pick me up from school with our cousin and his friend. We heard the president's speech over the radio..and they told me "Lou!!! The towers are gone!!!! Completely gone! Everything! They're not they're no more...Big Black clouds of smoke" I said "Get the **** out of here!"

They drove me to Edgewater on Staten Island where you had views of lower Manhattan. Sure enough...there it was. The big black clouds of smoke going over Brooklyn. At that point. I was just pissed. I was like "Mother****ers!"

Then I got home and I saw the replays of the attack. Literally like a script from a ******* movie.

Before 9/11, I had some fascination with the skyscrapers...almost to the point of obsession. I'd stare at them from Clifton by my house for a while...then stare more.

When I went to P.S15 in Red Hook, I'd go my grandma, she'd babysit. I'd go to her room where she had a view of the Towers dominating lower manhattan...and I'd stare and stare.

When my father picked me up from grandmas, every day in the back seat of the car I'd turn back and stare at the towers..the whole trip...on Gowanus Expressway all the way through the Verrazano Bridge..until Fort Wadsworth took out of sight...and then I could see it once again on the Clifton Hill.

So when the Towers were gone, and I looked back, there was kinda whole in my heart. I didn't lose not nearly as much as some people have, but I feel a big piece of New York was lost and wont return.

lol, sorry if that was too long.
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #43717
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2376

By Chante Etan
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

By Keith Michael NYC
image hosted on flickr

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/201...rade-center/#1

By mark lum
image hosted on flickr

Kanto, Sarcasticity, Swiddle liked this post
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #43718
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2376

One of my all-time favourites:
Something that looks incredibly inspiring to me:

By Georgia National Guard
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ganatlg...photosof-nyng/
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #43719
Steve501

Likes (Received): 4

Hi All,

Long time lurker on this forum and its been a privilege to watch 1WTC rise into
the iconic Manhattan skyline.

I was in nyc in October 2011 and took some pics (one is below). I hope to visit later this year and see the completed tower.

sundrop74, Sarcasticity liked this post
Steve501 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #43720
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
One of my all-time favourites:
Something that looks incredibly inspiring to me:

By Georgia National Guard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ganatlg...photosof-nyng/
Yea. Nice pic. Definitely my favorite as well.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center