daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #4361
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
What is the deal with people posting these grossly off topic anti-American diatribes in this thread?

Go to some radical Marxist politics forum for that crap.

Back to what we are supposed to be talking about.

Does anyone know what those blue....pipe things are that they seem to be stockpiling near the south wall of the pedestrian connector near where the red crane used to be? Also someone in the Wired Forum stated they might be installing some of the roof trusses for the pedestrian connector in the next two weeks. Anyone know if this is true?
This same guy is stirring the pot in the Chicago Spire thread also.

But like you said...back to the subject at hand. Those were great shots of the site posted Wed. Glad to see more and better photography, like the Spire thread. It's great for us enjoying this from a distance!!
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #4362
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Look nobody said it wasn't legal, I just said I've seen the NYPD ask people not to take pictures of the buildings. And I've see this more then a few times. I don't know how else to say it, that just the NYPD being the NYPD their ball busters lol.

Now it's time to let this thing die. What going on at the WTC now. How do I get it on the webcam?
I'm gonna take the high road and not get into some pointless argument here and will instead provide you with the link to the webcam.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #4363
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

sorry for posting the article for the second time. my bad. i'll be more careful next time.

link:http://www.amny.com/news/local/groun...,5199340.story
6:26 PM EDT, April 15, 2008

Quote:
Weak concrete removed from Freedom Tower

Builders of the Freedom Tower poured a bad batch of concrete into the foundation of the skyscraper replacing the World Trade Center and spent the last few weeks removing it after tests showed it wasn't strong enough, officials said Tuesday.

About 50 cubic yards of concrete was jackhammered away from the core foundation of the 1,776-foot tower under construction at ground zero. More than 22,000 cubic yards of concrete have been poured so far, and no other batches have failed strength tests, said Steve Coleman, spokesman for the building's owner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

The tower, the symbolic replacement to the twin towers destroyed on Sept. 11, is being built with concrete stronger than any other building in New York City. The foundation should be able to withstand 14,000 pounds per square inch, about three times the strength of concrete in an average home and over five times the strength in a sidewalk. A tower rebuilt north of ground zero two years ago, 7 World Trade Center, was built with concrete at a strength of 12,000 pounds per square inch, officials said.

Experts said many factors could create a poor batch: weather; the temperature at which concrete is poured and hardens; the time it takes for concrete to travel from the plant; and the way it is mixed. The issue is likely to affect the trade center site more as concrete trucks roll in over the next two years to build the memorial to the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the concrete for up to five office towers.

The concrete that was removed from the Freedom Tower varied in strength between 6,000 and 10,000 pounds per square inch, Coleman said Tuesday. It was tested once it was poured, on Dec. 18, and separate pieces were removed from the batch and tested successfully a month after the pour, he said.

But contractors working on the site noticed a 6-inch section "did not look right" and appeared to have excessive air pockets trapped in, he said. The builders removed core samples from the area, tested their strength, and decided in mid-February to take the concrete out, he said.

The work was done over the past several weeks in areas to be north and south of planned elevator shafts, as well as from three other small sections, Coleman said. Concrete was poured in other parts of the building over the past few months, and the construction schedule for the tower, expected to open in 2011, wasn't affected, Coleman said. A message left with the main concrete supplier, Quadrozzi Concrete Corp., wasn't returned Tuesday. Tony Arnold, president of iCrete, the company that developed the high-strength technology for the tower, said the small amount concrete must have been mixed improperly.

"We have had no batches that have not achieved the strength," he said. Removing below-strength concrete that has already been poured is rare in the industry, said Greg Vickers, managing director of operations for the National Ready Mixed Concrete Association.

"Everything about the construction process is overdesigned to avoid failures," he said.

Last edited by Densetsu; April 17th, 2008 at 07:46 PM.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #4364
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

I posted that on the last page.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #4365
neomoderny
beton stal i szkło

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso View Post
thanks to a bunch of trolls, thread number 5 was beyond repair.

this thread is about the freedom tower and the freedom tower only. if you don't have anything constructive to add about this project, don't bother posting.

*if you have an uncontrollable urge to talk about dubai and/or beat your chest about it, do it in the countless dubai love-fest threads out there. not here. remember...this is new york. not dubai...

*if you think this tower sucks and prefer the original world trade center instead, this thread isn't for you.

consider this a warning in advance...
;;
neomoderny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #4366
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Look I'd say sorry but I don't see a needed to. I told you I've seen the NYPD ask people not to take picture of the buildings. I don't see whats so hard to get, I'm just telling you what I've seen. If you want me to give more detail send me a Private Messages. I'll tell you what I've seen. Now let not take anymore from this project please.
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #4367
valdano7007

Likes (Received): 1283

Report: NYC Freedom Tower plans found in trash

Report: NYC Freedom Tower plans found in trash
Associated Press

NEW YORK - A homeless man has come forward with two sets of confidential ground zero blueprints that he says were dumped in a Lower Manhattan trash can.

The man brought the Freedom Tower plans to the New York Post, which says the 150-page schematic is marked: "Secure Document — Confidential."

The documents are dated Oct. 5, 2007. They contain plans for each floor, the thickness of the concrete-core wall, and the location of air ducts, elevators, electrical systems and support columns.

The agency that owns the World Trade Center site, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, calls it a serious security lapse.

Spokeswoman Candace McAdams says mishandling the blueprints would be "cause for serious disciplinary action."
valdano7007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #4368
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

It seams there are much more serious issues then photographing buildings: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/..._redevelopment

I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #4369
Darth Shemp
Armani

Likes (Received): 0

Skytower in NYC?
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #4370
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

I don't think its that big of a deal that anyone has seen them. Its a big deal that they are in the trash. Over here I could go down to the local planning office or go online and get the floor plans for nearly all new buildings without a problem.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #4371
Danillo
National Parks Artist

Likes (Received): 220

I like how kingsc comes on these threads, stirs up off-topic trouble, "threatens" people, then ends every post with "let's get back on topic," after 90% of what he's posted is off topic. I'd ban him just for the "threats" alone.
Danillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #4372
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

[IMG]http://i27.************/2qlwetg.jpg[/IMG]

I think Larry should give this guy a million bucks.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #4373
DaiTengu
SSC System Administrator

Likes (Received): 984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
[IMG]http://i27.************/2qlwetg.jpg[/IMG]

I think Larry should give this guy a million bucks.
At least he'd be able to support his crack habit, then.

Spaceholder - DaiTengu.com | My Google+ page | DaiTengu on Twitter | DaiTengu on About.me
DaiTengu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #4374
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

They said the reason why he came to NY was to join some drug support group.
Though one million worth of crack sure would make him happy.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #4375
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Man, I wonder who threw those away in a public trash can? You'd think they would be shredded or destroyed somehow if they were out of date.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #4376
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

It could have been the 'hide in plain view' philosophy at work, too. The same reason why Secret Service agents go incognito to randomly selected local Washington, DC area grocery stores when buying food that is intended to be prepared and served on Air Force One.

That said, ANYONE with untoward intentions and a speck of engineering knowledge will have no problems figuring out how a building is put together and what and where its 'weak spots' are.

Cut the 'Chicken Littlisms' and get back to building.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #4377
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

I thought that I saw that same article posted a while ago.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #4378
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

TRASHY WTC SECURITY
HOMELESS GUY FINDS KEY PLAN IN A CAN

By JEREMY OLSHAN and KEVIN FASICK

April 18, 2008 --

It's a good thing Osama wasn't walking through SoHo yesterday morning.

Two sets of confidential blueprints for the planned Freedom Tower, which is set to rise at Ground Zero, were carelessly dumped in a city garbage can on the corner of West Houston and Sullivan streets, The Post has learned.

PHOTOS: WTC Blueprints Found In Trash

Port Authority's News Blackout Is Sinister

Experts said the detailed, floor-by-floor schematics contain enough detail for terrorists to plot a devastating attack.

"Secure Document - Confidential," warns the title page on each of the two copies of the 150-page schematic that a homeless, recovering drug addict discovered in the public trash can.

"Any time a sensitive document is unintentionally left behind, it's a treasure trove for a potential adversary," aid Robert Strang, CEO of Investigative Management Group, a global security firm. "It enables them to look for vulnerabilities in design that they can target - an age-old military tactic."

Informed of what the homeless man, Mike Fleming, had found, shocked Port Authority officials called it an egregious security lapse.

"Violating these protocols is cause for serious disciplinary action - up to termination for employees and breach of contract and legal action for contractors," said Candace McAdams, PA director of media relations.

One of the identical sets was missing the first 14 pages, which is particularly alarming.

Besides the PA, there are 11 entities listed on each page of the blueprints, including the builder, Tishman Construction, and architects Skidmore Owings and Merrill.

Although the documents, dated Oct. 5, 2007, are not a complete set of blueprints, they do contain details such as plans for each floor, the thickness of the concrete-core wall and the location of air ducts, elevators, electrical systems and support columns.

"Certainly, if you know the thickness of concrete, someone with an explosive background can develop and plot an attack," Strang said.

That was exactly the thought that ran through Fleming's mind when he found the documents and alerted The Post.

Fleming, 28, originally from Ohio, said he was rummaging through the garbage in search of cardboard, "because the concrete is so cold to sleep on," when he noticed the documents and the warning to "properly destroy if discarded."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04182008...ity_106987.htm

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #4379
DaiTengu
SSC System Administrator

Likes (Received): 984

Here's a completely non-biased, and un-opinionated blog post about the plans

Quote:

Freedom Tower blueprints found in NYC trash bin. Press uses "Al-Qaeda" and "Terrorism" buzzwords. George W. Bush unavailable for comment, thankfully.

Confidential blueprints for the widely controversial Freedom Tower which is set to be erected where the World Trade Center buildings once stood were found in a city garbage can by a homeless recovering drug addict. Usually when the words “homeless” and “recovering drug addict” are used together, it just means the guy doesn’t have enough cash to support his crack habit.

An article in the New York Post does the obvious and screams “OH MY GOD SOMEONE COULD USE THIS TO PLOT A TERRORIST ATTACK! FLEE! SCURRY! RUN AWAY!!”

A terrorist attack wasn’t the first thing that came to my mind when I read the article title, but leave it to the NYC press to try and induce fear in everyone. I mean, I live in a small city in the Midwest, so this stuff isn’t right in my backyard, but honestly, I don’t need a

I’ve probably been hanging around Skyscraper City too much, but I’m far more interested in the plans themselves just to see how everything’s put together. While I don’t deny that there’s a potential threat here, It certainly isn’t the bowel-emptying fear that this article tries to make it out to be.

These schematics are available to quite a few people such as architects, contractors and PA officials. They’re also apparently quite a few revisions old. I’m quite certain that someone with resources could get their grubby little paws on the plans if they really wanted to.

A highly overpaid “Security Expert” adds to the drama by stating “Any time a sensitive document is unintentionally left behind, it’s a treasure trove for a potential adversary.”

I should also point out that anyone with enough time, knowledge and money could wander through the building when it’s completed and gleam similar information. Not to mention the thousand or so construction workers that will have far more accurate information about the building than a set of old plans.

Here’s the thing the press doesn’t seem to realize: Anyone with enough money, and enough resources can get their hands on any kind of information they want. The more people that have the information, the easier/cheaper it is to get. Security through obscurity has always been a horribly flawed approach with software, and it’s really no better with anything else.
http://www.daitengu.com/2008/04/18/f...nt-thankfully/

Spaceholder - DaiTengu.com | My Google+ page | DaiTengu on Twitter | DaiTengu on About.me
DaiTengu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #4380
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

When did I threating anybody I keep it real, don't call me anti american and we wont have problems.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center