daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #4401
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

That was the hang-up.

Libeskind fought furiously with Childs and Silverstein over the design of the birdcage version of the tower and the position of the spire. They were hardly done with the first fight when Libeskind would start right back up again!! Over and over.

His constant fighting and arguing made it hard for them to try to get along with him and they felt that he was a hinderence, a stumbling block, and so they happily paid him off and sent him packing from Ground Zero.

Last edited by Daquan13; April 20th, 2008 at 08:08 AM.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #4402
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
**** you. So being pro-freedom and pro-Constitution is radical Marxist? Well, then Marxism is awesome. And I suppose that means being a right-wing capitalist means you hate freedom, human rights, and democracy. That sounds right.
Please explain how anything I was responding to was was pro-freedom, pro-constitution?

Or perhaps not, as we've had too many of these political derails. Let's just talk about the damn building.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #4403
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04202008...lls_107227.htm
P.A. DUMP-BELLS

300 LBS. OF KEY PAPERS TURN UP

By KEVIN FASICK and LUKAS I. ALPERT

WHAT GARBAGE! After The Post reported the discovery of thrown-away WTC blueprints, two scavengers turned in 300 pounds of discarded PA papers, all marked "SECURE DOCUMENT — CONFIDENTIAL".

April 20, 2008 -- Just days after a homeless man found sensitive blueprints of the planned Freedom Tower in a trash can, a much larger trove of confidential World Trade Center documents emerged yesterday - also found in the garbage, but this time right behind the Port Authority office where the rebuilding is being overseen.

A pair of self-described "salvage experts" said they have twice found massive piles of sensitive blueprints, schematics and e-mails detailing several of the buildings at the site, the temporary PATH train station, and a proposed PA Police headquarters in a trash bin behind 115 Broadway.

The building overlooks the trade center site, and is where the PA has rented out an entire floor for engineers who run the redevelopment.

The first of the pair's finds came about a year and a half ago, and the second on March 13.

The two men, who asked that they be identified only as Tony B. and Fox, said they didn't know what to do with the documents but feared they could get into the wrong hands, so they held onto them at their lower Manhattan warehouse.

"We knew what we had. I thought the information was important and potentially dangerous if it fell into the wrong hands, and we weren't going to let that happen," Fox said. "We were protecting the trade center. We were protecting the country."

When asked about the discarded documents, the PA did not explain how the detailed plans ended up in the trash intact.

"This is a $16 billion project that produces literally tons of building plans and documents that are not privileged and confidential," said PA spokesperson Candace McAdams.

"If our security professionals determine a document to be privileged and confidential, we have very strict protocols in place for discarding that document, including, sealing and shredding."

But the documents found by Tony B. and Fox and reviewed by The Post do in fact read, "SECURE DOCUMENT - CONFIDENTIAL FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY," on every page.

Fox said when he and his partner read the story in Friday's Post about a homeless man finding detailed blueprints for the Freedom Tower in a city trash can, they immediately knew who to call.

"As soon as I saw The Post, I said, 'This is the perfect opportunity to get rid of it safely,' " said Tony B. "This is dangerous stuff they're throwing away.

"I worry about the stuff I didn't get. What could be out there? What if it hadn't been us, what if it was terrorists instead?"

In all, the boxes of papers and rolls of blueprints weigh about 300 pounds.

Among the documents were blueprints for building 4 WTC and the temporary PATH station, preliminary plans for the police headquarters, and a detailed construction plan for building 7.

They also found a large box filled with printed e-mails between Thomas J. O'Connor, a chief construction engineer for the PA, and several contractors laying out construction timetables and the materials to be used.
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:57 AM   #4404
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

What the hell is wrong with these guys, throwing away 300 pounds of Blueprints and construction informantion. Good thing somebody found them. Who knows what kind of trouble this could have cause.
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:14 AM   #4405
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

I find it strange they view the blueprints as so valuable and vulnerable. I mean if the building is really structurally sound the blueprints should not grant you any really harmful information. It's not like the place has a hidden "self destruct" button somewhere.
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:24 AM   #4406
kingsc

But with the Blueprints anybody could find and attack the building at it's weakest point. But its like I say, if they wanted to attack the tower why wait for it to be finish. Why not attack it before it's done. But it best no to think about things like that. Lets just hope the PA has better lucky next time.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:14 AM   #4407
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

deleted

Last edited by Brendan; January 1st, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:25 AM   #4408
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

My Goodness!! How on earth did those Blueprints and Documents get out of the office??? They just won't walk out would they?

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM   #4409
DaiTengu
SSC System Administrator

Likes (Received): 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
I find it strange they view the blueprints as so valuable and vulnerable. I mean if the building is really structurally sound the blueprints should not grant you any really harmful information. It's not like the place has a hidden "self destruct" button somewhere.
Sure it does! The button will be wired right to George W. Bush's desk! Right after he changes the constitution so that he gets another term in office!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
But with the Blueprints anybody could find and attack the building at it's weakest point. But its like I say, if they wanted to attack the tower why wait for it to be finish. Why not attack it before it's done. But it best no to think about things like that. Lets just hope the PA has better lucky next time.
Well, I mean any terrorist with half a brain would realize that it'd be far more demoralizing to blow up a building right after it's completed, rather than while it's being built.

Spaceholder - DaiTengu.com | My Google+ page | DaiTengu on Twitter | DaiTengu on About.me
DaiTengu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM   #4410
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

from wirednewyork:

big posters at the base of 7WTC
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM   #4411
kingsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
You really are as stupid as I thought you were.
Oh did I say something not to your liking my bad. And I'm only half as stupid as you think kind sir lol.
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM   #4412
kingsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
Sure it does! The button will be wired right to George W. Bush's desk! Right after he changes the constitution so that he gets another term in office!

Well, I mean any terrorist with half a brain would realize that it'd be far more demoralizing to blow up a building right after it's completed, rather than while it's being built.
Or they would realize it's best to kick them while their down. And you'd never see it coming because nobody attacks unfinish building, that just isn't right. And for those who were shock by what I said, need I remind you there's no such thing as fair play in terrorism. Back to topic
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM   #4413
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Umm, because it wouldnt kill anyone, besides some construction workers.

I get the impression that your 13.
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM   #4414
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

they've to hurry up when they want to finish it in 2012
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:36 PM   #4415
edward77x
Locrio de Arenque

Likes (Received): 0

The Freedom Tower is going to be awesome!!!
edward77x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:36 AM   #4416
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

BTW, this is the shot of Mike Flemming who found the blueprints according to that article.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM   #4417
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

deleted

Last edited by Brendan; January 1st, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM   #4418
kingsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy View Post
Umm, because it wouldnt kill anyone, besides some construction workers.

I get the impression that your 13.
It's not about killing people it's about turning your world up side down, destorying everything you love. Killing your pride and construction workers are people too. And my age has nothing to do with what I said don't be a ass. And that care free attitude is what lead to the blueprints getting dump in the trush can where anybody could find them.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM   #4419
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Anyone that can deduce some sort of weak point from the blueprints could also deduce it from examining the photos of it's construction, like from Earthcam, or from visiting it and scouting out the structural make up. Making a big deal about the blueprints sounds more like something journalists harp on when they have nothing better to report and the people in charge pretend to care about in a purely Cover Your Ass mode.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:08 PM   #4420
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
And the video..

Right..
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center