daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM   #4421
theWatusi
Hey Moe! Hey Moe!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
Anyone that can deduce some sort of weak point from the blueprints could also deduce it from examining the photos of it's construction, like from Earthcam, or from visiting it and scouting out the structural make up. Making a big deal about the blueprints sounds more like something journalists harp on when they have nothing better to report and the people in charge pretend to care about in a purely Cover Your Ass mode.
That is exactly correct. Nothing more than sensationalistic media reporting.

FWIW I think have a copy of the blueprints would be an awesome collectors item. The dude should have put them up on e-bay.
theWatusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM   #4422
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWatusi View Post

FWIW I think have a copy of the blueprints would be an awesome collectors item. The dude should have put them up on e-bay.
lol no
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM   #4423
theWatusi
Hey Moe! Hey Moe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
lol no
are you saying that wouldn't want a copy of those plans to peruse?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM   #4424
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

i wouldn't want the Blue Prints of a Super Tall building under construction on sale over e-bay, say what you want about finding weak points through observation and photos, but the Blue Prints tell oyu how the building is built, you can know the exact spot where you can place bombs to bring it down. There is a reason tall Building Blueprints are not available for everyone to see.
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM   #4425
Matt08642
Sup?

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

But if he put them on eBay, the TERRORISTS will get them!!
Matt08642 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM   #4426
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
are you saying that wouldn't want a copy of those plans to peruse?
i wouldn't mind having the original and only copy of the blueprints, because i know i wouldn't use them for the wrong reasons..
as the developer/owner of a building though, i could not sleep at night knowing that someone has confidential blueprints for my entire building and is potentially making copies of it
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:49 AM   #4427
theWatusi
Hey Moe! Hey Moe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink View Post
but the Blue Prints tell oyu how the building is built, you can know the exact spot where you can place bombs to bring it down. There is a reason tall Building Blueprints are not available for everyone to see.
It doesn't take blueprints or a rocket scientist to tell you if you want to bring the building down, place the bomb near a support column or in the core.

Come on, it's not like there is particular place especially designed to bring the whole building down, and the only place it is noted is in the plans.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:21 AM   #4428
multifamilyinvestor

Likes (Received): 2

Come on man! I saw a movie once where a bunch of rebels were able to blow up an entire space station the size of a small moon by firing proton torpedoes into a thermal exhaust port no wider than a wamp rat!

How you ask?

They had the blueprints!

I bet the guys who built that place wish they wouldn't have so casually thrown them into the trash...
multifamilyinvestor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:34 AM   #4429
theWatusi
Hey Moe! Hey Moe!

: I guess your right
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:03 AM   #4430
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Osama definitely has proton torpedoes.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:21 AM   #4431
Matt08642
Sup?

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Osama definitely has proton torpedoes.
And an eBay account.
Matt08642 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:43 AM   #4432
micrip

Likes (Received): 1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
It's not about killing people it's about turning your world up side down, destorying everything you love. Killing your pride and construction workers are people too. And my age has nothing to do with what I said don't be a ass. And that care free attitude is what lead to the blueprints getting dump in the trush can where anybody could find them.
Aha busted!!! No one under 18 should be permitted here without a consenting adult!!
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:59 AM   #4433
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

It's not really a big deal since no matter your knowledge or if you have blueprints or not it would be next to impossible to cause major damage to towers of this nature, which are the next generation of skyscrapers, setting new standards for future skyscrapers all over the world. They designed it while keping in mind that people with bad intentions will gain access to blueprints/other information. The whole terrorist/eBay thing isn't out of the question and it seems imbecilic to poke at the guy for bringing it up since once one person out of the loop has stuff like that, and since it's such a famous project, it's only natural that stuff spreads. In any case, I am certain that this is the first major skyscraper to be designed with nothing but computers so I doubt any papers are as important as one might think they are.

More on topic, I just read an older article about how this complex (Tower 1 and friends) will have one of the largest fuel cell systems ever put together, and all of that still won't be enough to power the towers so they also use many other green methods. I wonder if they are still planning on doing that. It's going to be a masterpiece of green and world-class design.

Last edited by Ebola; April 23rd, 2008 at 05:16 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:13 AM   #4434
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
More on topic, I just read an older article about how this complex (Tower 1 and friends) will have one of the largest fuel cell systems ever put together, and all of that still won't be enough to power the towers so they also use many other green mentods. I wonder if they are still planning on doing that. It's going to be a masterpiece of green and world-class design.
The fuel cell idea sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Fuel cells use hydrogen as their source of power. Since hydrogen is extremely explosive putting it anywhere near Manhattan in large quantities doesn't make a lot of sense. If this system is still in the plans, having a set of plans could be very beneficial to a terrorist.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:20 AM   #4435
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Again with that? Here in reality, there's nothing to worry about. I'm certain that they all went over every possible aspect of it or else someone would have brought up that point long ago. I'm sure that they'll be using the safest system.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM   #4436
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Since hydrogen is extremely explosive
...and petrol isn't explosive at all, right?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:02 PM   #4437
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

*off topic* its price tends to be much more explosive these days than the fuel itself is *off topic*

LOL

Spartan proverb
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM   #4438
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
...and petrol isn't explosive at all, right?
Actually in most applications generators are run on diesel fuel which is only flammable. Even gasoline and natural gas are much less explosive under normal conditions than hydrogen is.
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #4439
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_259/postreports.html
Volume 20, Number 49 | THE NEWSPAPER OF LOWER MANHATTAN | APRIL 19 - 26, 2008

Port reports on World Trade Center progress

By Julie Shapiro

The Port Authority updated the community on a slew of Lower Manhattan construction projects this week — and at times the board members seemed unable to believe the good news.

The R/W station at Cortlandt St., closed since 2005, will reopen this fall, said Quentin Brathwaite, assistant director of World Trade Center construction for the Port Authority.

“That would be unbelievable,” replied Catherine McVay Hughes, chairperson of Community Board 1’s W.T.C. Redevelopment Committee.

“You’re talking about fall of ’08, right?” board member Barry Skolnick asked. Brathwaite nodded.

To reopen the station, the Port Authority and Metropolitan Transportation Authority may refurbish a pre-9/11 concourse connecting the platforms to 1 Liberty Plaza, Brathwaite said.

Brathwaite also told the board that he is working with the M.T.A. to put an elevator into the World Trade Center stop on the E train. Passengers previously used an elevator at the PATH station to access the E train, but when the temporary PATH entrance on Church St. closed last week, subway passengers lost the connection to the elevator. Skolnick and other board members have been pressing the M.T.A. and Port Authority for months to add a new elevator.

“You are listening to us!” Hughes said, beaming at Brathwaite.

“Well, they’re delayed on everything else,” Skolnick muttered, referring to the M.T.A.

The closure of the Church St. temporary PATH entrance meant that commuters had to use the new temporary entrance on Vesey St. Monday morning was the first test of how the new entrance would fare during rush hour by itself, and there was a lot of pedestrian congestion, especially between 8:30 a.m. and 9:15 a.m., Brathwaite said.

To ease the passage of walkers, the city Department of Transportation is lengthening the green light on Vesey St. at Church St., allowing more people to cross Church St. from west to east. Depending on the results, the D.O.T. may also change light times at two other intersections: Barclay St. at West Broadway and Vesey St. at West Broadway and Greenwich St.

Brathwaite also gave updates on Towers 2, 3 and 4, which Silverstein Properties is building. Silverstein recently finished doing test blasts at the sites for Towers 3 and 4 and is now preparing to do production blasting, to ready the bathtub for the foundations of the towers, designed by Richard Rogers and Fumihiko Maki. Workers will blow warning whistles before blasts to advise residents, workers and pedestrians, Brathwaite said.

Just to the north, the Port Authority is excavating the Tower 2 site, which it must turn over to Silverstein Properties by June 30 or else face a $300,000-a-day penalty. The Port faced a similar deadline for Towers 3 and 4 and ultimately paid Silverstein $14.4 million after missing the Dec. 31, 2007 deadline by nearly seven weeks.

But Brathwaite said things look better at Tower 2 and the Port expects to meet the June 30 deadline. There is less dense rock at Tower 2, meaning that the Port likely will not have to use hoe rams, large jackhammers, to finish excavating. The density of the rock is what delayed the excavation at Towers 3 and 4, and the pounding of the hoe rams kept residents up all night long late last fall into the winter.

Glenn Guzi, a Port Authority program manager, said the Port would try not to work between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. But Bill Love, a board member who lives in Gateway Plaza, said he recently looked out his window at 1 a.m. and saw two machines digging at the Tower 2 site.

After resident complaints during the excavation for Towers 3 and 4, the Port Authority agreed to pay for soundproof windows in three residential buildings: 110 Liberty St., 125 Cedar St. and 90 West St. The Port is working with building owners but no windows have been installed yet, Guzi said. He added that the Port has no plans to extend the program to additional buildings, like Gateway Plaza.

Work is also moving ahead at the Freedom Tower, where passersby will begin to see steel rising past street level in the late summer or early fall, Brathwaite said.

Two separate projects are happening right now at the Memorial Museum. First, workers are completing the foundations for the steel superstructure. By the summer, steel will begin to rise, though it will be far below street level and out of sight.

Also, Port Authority is building a new slurry wall on the west side of the site to hold back the Hudson River. The new wall will reinforce the existing slurry wall, which will remain in place and exposed as an exhibit in the museum.

The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation sent two representatives to the C.B. 1 meeting to update the board on abatement work at 130 Liberty St., the former Deutsche Bank building where a fire killed two firefighters last August. The building needs to be decontaminated before it can be demolished.

The L.M.D.C. recently moved to double shifts at Deutsche, and now 150 to 200 workers are in the building each day, spokesperson Mike Murphy said. Eventually, 300 to 400 workers a day will be in the building.

The workers are finishing up preliminary abatement work and will soon start formal abatement, doing two floors at a time. The decontamination chambers on floors 18 and 19 are nearly complete — workers just have to line the chambers with plastic. Abatement on 18 and 19 will start by the end of this week, Murphy said. In the meantime, workers will build a decontamination chamber for floors 16 and 17. The building is still on schedule to be abated and demolished by the end of the year, he said.

After demolishing the building, the Port is planning to build a vehicle security center there, which might go beneath new headquarters for JPMorgan Chase. Last month Chase moved to buy Bear Stearns and acquire the Stearns headquarters in Midtown, throwing Chase’s plans for the Tower 5 site into question.

Hughes, of C.B. 1, recently attended a meeting at Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver’s office where a lawyer for JPMorgan said the firm still plans to build at 130 Liberty St., but that they may eliminate the trading floors, reducing the “beer belly” in the building’s original design or eliminating it entirely.

“There seemed to be a commitment to move employees to Tower 5,” Hughes said.

Joe Schwed, the Port Authority’s new site safety manager for the World Trade Center, attended the meeting to explain the safety procedures at the site, including weekly safety meetings. Schwed is also charged with addressing two of the community’s most common complaints: noise and dust.

To deal with noise, the Port Authority is extending the sound barrier on Church St. around the entire site, Schwed said. To deal with dust tracked out of the site by construction vehicles, the Port recently bought a heavy-duty street sweeper. The machine throws down water, uses bristles to scrub the street and then vacuums up the dirt and water. Several community members said the new machine is helping, but dust still escapes from the site.

Several C.B. 1 members recently got a preview of the street sweeper in action, and a select few got a turn behind the wheel. As the Port Authority representatives clicked through PowerPoint slides at the meeting, a photo of the sweeper popped up with none other than Catherine McVay Hughes behind the wheel, grinning at the camera.

“I didn’t drive it!” Hughes said, laughing.

[email protected]
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #4440
nygirl

Likes (Received): 432

TalB?? With news that isn't bad? Good read for once, isn't it nice to see things moving along on this project tal?

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center