daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:33 AM   #44641
sundrop74
Skyscraper Aficionado

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
All this arguing is amazing. I remember standing at the foot of the twin towers with my parents in 1972... the cladding wasn't complete on one tower and almost done on the other... and EVERYONE complaining about how "ugly" they were. "So boring looking", "They ruin the skyline", etc.

THEN a couple years or so later, when they started erecting the antenna, NYC went nuts. "It's too tall", "It's ugly", "It looks too tall and out of proportion", blah blah blah.

The spire in its current form on 1WTC resembles a number of old and new spires in NYC. In fact, it's even CLEANER looking than what's on the Empire State Building, AT&T in SoHo, and Conde Nast:

1WTC isn't done yet. Once the parapet cladding is complete, the multitude of temporary platforms on the spire removed, and the 8 guide cables attached, it will look much better. Also, all of these shots are from planes... MOST PEOPLE will view this building from street level and that mast will look perfect. Also, from even a short distance... particularly at night... the mast will appear solid like this:

image hosted on flickr
Does Conde Nast get to include the mast in the official height of the building?
sundrop74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:35 AM   #44642
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

...I can see downtown Denver where I live... That's about it...

You guys are very lucky you live in NYC... all ways wanted to live there.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:00 AM   #44643
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2376

Latest aerial shot!!!

SBA John Wiley

image hosted on flickr

Flame1958

image hosted on flickr

iJosh, hunser, billgates, Swiddle, sergiomazzi and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by NYCrulz; April 23rd, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:28 AM   #44644
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

It's kinda eerie how much this resembles the North Tower at certain angles..but it's also cool
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:30 AM   #44645
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateArchibald View Post
So if you add a spire to a building shortly after its completion it won't be counted as a spire, but since this mast is being built while the tower is still u/c it can be counted;
It will not have anything at the top to transmit or receive any type of electromagnetic waves;

I really love this tower, but this is basically 408 feet of steel with no purpose...
From what I always understood, for a Spire to be counted bythe CTBUH, it has to be a pre-planned part, of the bldg. However here with the different circumstances, and lets face it, (it'll be a just a matter of time the 3 comm rings will be filled, they'll start adding (broadcast equpment)to the antennae itself.) Especially how technology is growing so quickly..
I was under the impression Spire's we're to be counted if they add beauty to the building, and part of the original idea "blueprints",, and not serve a purpose. This design has been changed a number of times,(to me that's disqualification right there. HOWEVER,, I'm quite sure Durst will have a lot of $$$$ in an oversize envelope for the CTBUH," I'm guessing" DURST: "hey guy's let's look at it my way,,,". I don't necessarily dislike the antennae I just think the original, it suited the size of the building, oversize joint or not, this is thin with jusp plain weird appendenges sticking out every 20ft. Just my opinion.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:46 AM   #44646
Luan SR
Brasileiro

Likes (Received): 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaanstad_1987 View Post
As far as I know the diogonal steal beams are removed out of the design by tower 3, so it will look like a larger version of tower 4...

I hope they keep tower 2 intact...
If I understand, is not good news for me.
Luan SR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:32 AM   #44647
liny631

Likes (Received): 64

Really not sure how big 1WTC should appear right now from the Robert Moses Bridge 38 miles out on a straight line, but I drove over it the other day and there was 1 very thin faint line rising on the horizon. There was nothing else next to it though, so it wasn't an obvious skyline. I'm so angry because I always hear people saying "oh yeah I saw the WTC clearly driving over the bridge today" and I have looked like 10x trying not to crash while looking west and it's not obvious enough for me to see . I know it SHOULD be visible from that distance and elevation and it's been very clear when I drove over. I need to know how small it appears to know if I've seen it or not.
liny631 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:43 AM   #44648
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
...I can see downtown Denver where I live... That's about it...

You guys are very lucky you live in NYC... all ways wanted to live there.
That's amazing, seeings how your location says Washington DC!

L.A.F.2. liked this post
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:06 AM   #44649
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by liny631 View Post
Really not sure how big 1WTC should appear right now from the Robert Moses Bridge 38 miles out on a straight line, but I drove over it the other day and there was 1 very thin faint line rising on the horizon. There was nothing else next to it though, so it wasn't an obvious skyline. I'm so angry because I always hear people saying "oh yeah I saw the WTC clearly driving over the bridge today" and I have looked like 10x trying not to crash while looking west and it's not obvious enough for me to see . I know it SHOULD be visible from that distance and elevation and it's been very clear when I drove over. I need to know how small it appears to know if I've seen it or not.
Take a taxi.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:15 AM   #44650
tim1807
faster than buildings

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center by ranggapb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Framed by Keith Michael NYC, on Flickr

Swiddle liked this post
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM   #44651
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgates View Post
When I'm in Morris County, I can only see the building itself and a blurry grey mass above it that is cranes, temporary platform, and spire. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.
Where in Morris County do you see it from? I know a lot of places
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:22 PM   #44652
NewYorkSkyline117

Quote:
Originally Posted by liny631 View Post
Dude you're definitely not going to see every building from over 35 miles. With the tree line and variation in the elevation as well as the curvature of the earth that cuts certain buildings away from the horizon, that thin line just may well be One WTC and nothing else is too bold to be visible
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:53 PM   #44653
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2376

BrianEden

image hosted on flickr

airpix84
image hosted on flickr

Amazing glass
Alex Flint

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A close look at the spire
image hosted on flickr

Wis Empire State

image hosted on flickr

Elehmann1

image hosted on flickr

tedeytan

Man! look at the One WTC
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by NYCrulz; April 23rd, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:13 PM   #44654
tim1807
faster than buildings

Wow, you don't even have to search for it flying over NY.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:36 PM   #44655
HRP4Life

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundrop74 View Post
Does Conde Nast get to include the mast in the official height of the building?
No
HRP4Life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:59 PM   #44656
jmatero

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luan SR View Post
If I understand, is not good news for me.
It's very hard to lease office space in NYC when windows are blocked by big beams. So, the design was altered: (of course, this is off topic...)

Before:

After:
jmatero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:13 PM   #44657
Tim98
Fanatic

Likes (Received): 16

By WTC Progress on Facebook

Tim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:34 PM   #44658
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
All this arguing is amazing. I remember standing at the foot of the twin towers with my parents in 1972... the cladding wasn't complete on one tower and almost done on the other... and EVERYONE complaining about how "ugly" they were. "So boring looking", "They ruin the skyline", etc.

THEN a couple years or so later, when they started erecting the antenna, NYC went nuts. "It's too tall", "It's ugly", "It looks too tall and out of proportion", blah blah blah.

The spire in its current form on 1WTC resembles a number of old and new spires in NYC. In fact, it's even CLEANER looking than what's on the Empire State Building, AT&T in SoHo, and Conde Nast:

1WTC isn't done yet. Once the parapet cladding is complete, the multitude of temporary platforms on the spire removed, and the 8 guide cables attached, it will look much better. Also, all of these shots are from planes... MOST PEOPLE will view this building from street level and that mast will look perfect. Also, from even a short distance... particularly at night... the mast will appear solid like this:

image hosted on flickr
I agree completely. Antennas are as much a part of the city as water towers, in my book. The raw look is no nonsense and fitting for our skyline.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:39 PM   #44659
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I actually don't want to see any more buildings with spires in our skyline. I think what we have is good enough unless we build a monstrosity like the Burj.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:04 PM   #44660
NewYorkSkyline117

No offense but can you please avoid quoting the long chain of Conde Nast photos!

ILOVENY, Swiddle, r0cc0 liked this post

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center