daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #45021
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
My concern is not really what the antenna looks like, it's more of the sheer height of it.
In my opinion, it's just way too tall. To much. To me, it's height looks disproportional with the building.

I think the antenna looks okay. It would have been nice if it could have been covered in a thinner encasing, rather than the fat spire that we were about to get.
Only in certain angles does 1wtc mast look to tall,you do realize that the north tower antenna was taller than 1 wtc mast is at this point ? i guess since 1wtc roof is smaller and the tapering effect accentuate the mast a bit more but there is a very little difference in height between the north tower antenna, and 1 wtc mast.

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #45022
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

I would be surprised if they finish this week? Just delay after delay after delay.
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #45023
davidwsk

Likes (Received): 3315

Very impressive tower !! Finally a super structure after absence for more than 10 years .
davidwsk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #45024
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by liny631 View Post
At least 40 miles out I won't have to squint too hard and try to make out what is the WTC and what is a tree or distant oil rig with the horizontal lighting right? I would imagine on a clear night you can see the light with the naked eye?
I saw it easily from 45 miles so you can count on it
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #45025
liny631

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
I saw it easily from 45 miles so you can count on it
I think the distance is not the issue. 38-45 miles should be easily visible, but the main thing is the elevation. That's why NJ has so many great views that far out...you guys have massive hills! I have a friend who lives about 30 miles out from Manhattan in NJ and he has a great view you can see the lights and everything in the skyline because he's on a huge hill probably a few hundred feet in elevation. Unfortunately, LI really only has views from lighthouses, bridges, and the top of a select few tall hospitals i.e. Stony Brook, North Shore LIJ, Nassau Medical Building, etc. So from land it's basically impossible. I think the fire island lighthouse is the only way to see it clearly (in suffolk at least) and unfortunately tours of the lighthouse as well as the state park closes at like 5 pm, so before it even gets dark. Thus, I'm not sure how I will be able to see it at night by me.

Some people said they definitely saw the WTC from the LIE in Melville around exit 49, but I don't understand how or where exactly they looked. It's not like there's some massive hill on the LIE. One very cool thing by the way I saw recently was the FI lighthouse from about 10 miles east...I could easily see it as well as the light shining every 7 seconds in the daylight! Very cool. Driving wise it's probably 20 minutes with light traffic, so it's awesome to see things that take 20 minutes to get to right out the window of a place. When you said 45 miles out was simple to see the WTC are you referring to naked eye or binoculars? With binoculars I'm sure it's easy even 50+ miles out, but I've still never seen the WTC with my naked eyes from my area 40 miles out. Then again I never got to look when the original WTC was there...many people said they used to always notice them. I'm green with envy
liny631 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #45026
ihav3nofri3ndzz

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Isn't JJ Abrams one of the creators of Lost? I just finished up Season 4 yesterday and it was awesome.
Yeah he is credited with co-creating it. That's about all he did aside from co-writing..directing? the season 1 Pilot (parts 1 and 2), and co-writing the first episode of season 3.

Quote:
In 2003, ABC group chairman Lloyd Braun had pitched an idea to for a concept he described as Cast Away: The Series. Jeffrey Lieber was hired to develop a working concept out of the pitch. Lieber eventually ended up writing a pilot, which he was asked to rewrite until he was fired by Braun.[1]
Braun then turned to J.J. Abrams to overhaul the concept.
Quote:
Abrams is credited for co-creating Lost and co-writing the two-part pilot episode, "Pilot, Part 1" and "Pilot, Part 2", together with Damon Lindelof and Jeffrey Lieber, directing the two-part pilot episode, and as an executive producer of the show. He also had the idea for the opening theme and the title card.
DO NOT READ PAST THIS PAGE IF YOU EVEN DECIDE TO CLICK IT IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS SO... SPOILER ALERT!!!

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/J.J._Abrams
ihav3nofri3ndzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #45027
stefdevos

Likes (Received): 18

Offcourse you can buy them http://shpws.me/lW4E

Also for my other models
stefdevos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #45028
oli83

Likes (Received): 1007

from WTCProgress on Facebook
Quote:
Iron workers from the south raising gang lift crane extension pieces to extend the crane on top of One WTC

Swiddle liked this post
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #45029
Rich-E36

Likes (Received): 5

I wonder if we have a go or a no go for launch today!!!
Rich-E36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #45030
Skyscrapercitirocks
8anned

Likes (Received): 147

In China they'll build the whole building faster than the spire and the cladding over here.
In shanghai tower The cladding there has gone so high from the ground floor whereas here it's just so awkward. Why is this so? Why do they take so long?
Also why is this building so expensive while The Burj Dubai is ~1/3rd of the price of one wtc and Shanghai tower ~1/2 the price of one wtc.

Steven Wright

bigreach liked this post
Skyscrapercitirocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #45031
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by liny631 View Post
I think the distance is not the issue. 38-45 miles should be easily visible, but the main thing is the elevation. That's why NJ has so many great views that far out...you guys have massive hills! I have a friend who lives about 30 miles out from Manhattan in NJ and he has a great view you can see the lights and everything in the skyline because he's on a huge hill probably a few hundred feet in elevation. Unfortunately, LI really only has views from lighthouses, bridges, and the top of a select few tall hospitals i.e. Stony Brook, North Shore LIJ, Nassau Medical Building, etc. So from land it's basically impossible. I think the fire island lighthouse is the only way to see it clearly (in suffolk at least) and unfortunately tours of the lighthouse as well as the state park closes at like 5 pm, so before it even gets dark. Thus, I'm not sure how I will be able to see it at night by me.

Some people said they definitely saw the WTC from the LIE in Melville around exit 49, but I don't understand how or where exactly they looked. It's not like there's some massive hill on the LIE. One very cool thing by the way I saw recently was the FI lighthouse from about 10 miles east...I could easily see it as well as the light shining every 7 seconds in the daylight! Very cool. Driving wise it's probably 20 minutes with light traffic, so it's awesome to see things that take 20 minutes to get to right out the window of a place. When you said 45 miles out was simple to see the WTC are you referring to naked eye or binoculars? With binoculars I'm sure it's easy even 50+ miles out, but I've still never seen the WTC with my naked eyes from my area 40 miles out. Then again I never got to look when the original WTC was there...many people said they used to always notice them. I'm green with envy
Yeah there are countless places here on Morris County with vuews of the tower. When I saw it from 45 miles, it was with the naked eye and I had to scan the horizon each time (after all, I was on a roller coaster lift hill) and it was a solid form far out on the horizon because there are no obstructions between NYC, amd Jackson except the Atlantic Highlands, which cut off the bottom half of the tower. Anything from 50+ miles I can't say is easy unless you have binoculars but then again there are only a couple places in upstate New York/Connecticut with a distant view over 50 miles
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #45032
Coddington
... Coddi ...

Likes (Received): 262

Crane is moving, last pieces going up?

Twitter: @NonoTwitte
Coddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #45033
Rich-E36

Hook is on its was down!!!
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #45034
liny631

Likes (Received): 64

Anyone know if they are lighting the beacon the night it goes up or if they're waiting for the glass to be complete too?
liny631 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #45035
AliP95

Likes (Received): 104

I hope they take it up now because the wind looks to be going above 10mph by 10am!
AliP95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #45036
Olympic Lad

Likes (Received): 6

The hook is heading back to the top, but with nothing on the end of it.
Olympic Lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #45037
nycaddict

Likes (Received): 135

What a tease!
nycaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #45038
Rich-E36

hook from the white tower crane is on its way down now
Old April 30th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #45039
felip

Likes (Received): 1241

not from right now, but anyway..

image hosted on flickr

Downtown Manhattan by Keith Michael NYC, on Flickr
felip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #45040
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 298

Guess we will know the answers to these questions soon enough:

1) Will the guy cables be attached to the spire (section #8) before the beacon is placed?

2) Will the crane tower be attached to the spire before lifting the beacon?

3) Will the beacon (section #17) and section #16 definitely be lifted and placed as one unit, or will they be detached from one another first?

4) Will the last section(s) be lifted directly to the top of the spire, or will it first be staged on the doghouse platform?

5) Will the crane jump again before placing the beacon? We can see from this photo that there are at least four tower mast sections up there:

[IMG]http://i43.************/2390sw.png[/IMG]
Snipped from Post 44905

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 96540 others disliked this post

Last edited by Swiddle; April 30th, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center