daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #4521
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Thats the rebar i was talking about last page...
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #4522
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28331

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
My bad, I need to learn more, sorry for the inappropriate size
A good size would be 800 x 600.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #4523
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Comparison between early Wednesday May 7, 2008 and the next afternoon. (found from SSP, originally from http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/groundzero/)

This one is from flickr by bouncyhappygirl:

image hosted on flickr
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #4524
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

at http://www.earthcam.net/users2/inter...2&clientid=158 today, 8th may 2008. I'm just curious if this happens other constructions, I know that form work only rises not goes back down then comes back down again.

(Compare pictures 6:45 AM and 7:00 AM, the form work on south core rise.

Compare pictures 7:00 AM and 7:15 AM, the form work goes back down

Play slide photos from 10:45 AM to 12 o clock, the form work slowly rises again)

I'm writing this again, I want to know why this happens
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #4525
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
This one is from flickr by bouncyhappygirl:
that picture was taken on 25th, Friday.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #4526
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6531

one more floor on the left core-half, getting faster!
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #4527
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

wow, the core is rising at a really good speed. I love it
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #4528
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I'd say that the core is already at least 50 feet tall.

Why? Because sets of two steel beams are erected, one on top of the other, next to the core and it was stated that each beam is at least 31 feet long and as long as over 55 feet, and assuming that the core is almost at the height at the beams, there you go. Though its hard to tell from the cam, it is massive. So, in other words, the core is at least 30 feet tall, plus how ever tall it grew from the base of the second beam.

Very cool too. Next to the Freedom Tower's core, workers look like ants. The core's already much bigger and taller than my house.

Last edited by Ebola; May 10th, 2008 at 09:25 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #4529
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

allmost now on streat level maybe just 1 floor left
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #4530
Ebola
BANNED

Yeah I think there's only about one floor left of core height to reach the stree level, BUT once they do that, I think all of the getting taller will stop for a short time because they may be working on the outter part of the tower, and the core will not rise first, so expect to see lots of other activity. Also there's still going to be more tower cranes, and all over, so the site will look great next year.
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4531
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
at http://www.earthcam.net/users2/inter...2&clientid=158 today, 8th may 2008. I'm just curious if this happens other constructions, I know that form work only rises not goes back down then comes back down again.

(Compare pictures 6:45 AM and 7:00 AM, the form work on south core rise.

Compare pictures 7:00 AM and 7:15 AM, the form work goes back down

Play slide photos from 10:45 AM to 12 o clock, the form work slowly rises again)

I'm writing this again, I want to know why this happens
It's quite normal that they move the forms up and down during the lifting of the forms. There are various reasons. Sometimes workers have left tools and rebar on the scaffolding around the forms. An Other reason can be that the forms are not lifted in straight. This can cause to much stress on the frame of the jumpform and can damage rebar an stuff. The frame will be lowered and they'll try again. Nothing to worry about

Quote:
One question, on that webcam, at freedom tower area below the core area there are construction workers active maybe putting in rebars. The floors there are black colour, I want to know what they are. I mean These floors really change in height compare 8th may and 7th may, the black floors rose by a lot.
The floors you talked about are table forms to pour the real floor on. The black color is caused by the shadows (and the color) of the rebar. Forms with no rebar on it have a brown or dark brown color.

Last edited by Tag_one; May 10th, 2008 at 12:32 PM.
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #4532
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Didn't they build the Empire State Building in 12 months ???? I know below street level seems to take a long time but hope it climbs quicker from here on....It will still be years though....
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #4533
Ebola
BANNED

Smart, comparing this to the ESB, and it will be topped out or closing in on it quickly in two years, but that's nothing out of the ordinary.
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #4534
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Probably the world has been watching this site since 2001.....but understand it's unique circumstances.....just seems forever that's all....!
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #4535
Jeddy09
Greenhand

Likes (Received): 0

marvelous
Jeddy09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #4536
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
Didn't they build the Empire State Building in 12 months ???? I know below street level seems to take a long time but hope it climbs quicker from here on....It will still be years though....

I think it's because they had a really good system in place and plenty of workers. Different projects just have different minimum completion timetables.

- Andy
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #4537
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Do not forget that was in the Depression Era. A lot of people were desperate for jobs. Most of New Yorkers who were unemployed at around that time got the jobs to build hundreds of skyscrapers in the 30s.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #4538
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
1) There were more and cheaper workers available. This speeds up the building progress
2) The ESB has a steel skeleton while the FT has a concrete core. Steel is much faster to erect than concrete
3) In the 30's the traffic was less dense, so transport went much faster and there were no delays due to congestions.
4) Today the safety restrictions are much tougher. This slows down to progress to.
5) For the ESB they didn't need to spend 6 month of digging caissons in worlds hardest rocks.
6) The FT needs to be much stronger than the ESB due to terrorism. This means heavier columns and beams which take more time to build.
7) The FT needs to be a sustainable and eco-friendly building. Also this consumes more time. Especially if it's one of the first green buildings build in the US.
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #4539
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

1) There were more and cheaper workers available. This speeds up the building progress.
Why? A building requires a given number of manhours to build, the cost per manhour only affects the total cost, not the time to build it

2) The ESB has a steel skeleton while the FT has a concrete core. Steel is much faster to erect than concrete
Not necessarily, many buildings that have concrete cores complete a floor in 3-4 days. Just look at some of the buildings going up in Dubai

3) In the 30's the traffic was less dense, so transport went much faster and there were no delays due to congestions
There haven't been any delays due to transportation issues. All major equipment and materials (with the exception of concrete) are moved at night when traffic is an issue

4) Today the safety restrictions are much tougher. This slows down to progress to.
Agreed, safety issues and unions do get in the way

5) For the ESB they didn't need to spend 6 month of digging caissons in worlds hardest rocks.
ESB stands on the same basic materials as FT does, besides even if you consider the six months the time to build FT is orders of magnitude longer

6) The FT needs to be much stronger than the ESB due to terrorism. This means heavier columns and beams which take more time to build.
Actually ESB is probably stronger than the new FT will be, because its exterior is stone. Don't forget ESB took a direct hit from a B-25 and only suffered superficial damage

7) The FT needs to be a sustainable and eco-friendly building. Also this consumes more time. Especially if it's one of the first green buildings build in the US.
This is true but it only significantly affects material selection. Its effect on construction time should be minimal.

If you look at the strides made in construction technology and equipment it's hard to see a logical reason why today's buildings should take so much longer than those in the past. The biggest logical explanation is the dedication of the workers.
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #4540
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Actually ESB is probably stronger than the new FT will be, because its exterior is stone. Don't forget ESB took a direct hit from a B-25 and only suffered superficial damage
not really guy , the stone is only the facade and can be destroyed very easy. maybe glass breaks earlier but that makes definitely no difference when a Boeing 777 flys into it .
and don't forget the todays materials are much better than in the 1930's, steel is much stronger now. ( also the quality of construction )

believe me: the FT will be MUCH stronger than the ESB
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center