daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #45441
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

What, is it the 'spire' classification. I'm not opposed to them calling it that. Hopefully the CTBUH agrees

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #45442
imagineer100

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
What, is it the 'spire' classification. I'm not opposed to them calling it that. Hopefully the CTBUH agrees
I think it's the fact they call it the Freedom Tower.
imagineer100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #45443
sergiomazzi
We all are explorers!

Likes (Received): 15045

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
Today epic fail goes to the front page of the New York post.
http://www.nypost.com/archives/cover...5DFDA51E53550D

Why they do not access this skyscrapercity thread ?
sergiomazzi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #45444
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

going up!

Old May 4th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #45445
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
A 550m to the roof building has to wait for future rezonings. Iirc for now there are no sites that would have enough air rights for such a tower. Also, currently there are quite a lot of both office and residential skyscrapers under construction and planned that will meet the demand for many years to come. Building for future demand can only go so far that it doesn't create a real estate bubble
If the GCT rezoning gets approved, we should be able to see a proposal that high by 2018 (1 Vanderbilt). Still, 5 years isn't bad at all.

Kanto liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #45446
WeatherRad

Likes (Received): 37

I saw the tower for the first time 2 weeks ago. I remember walking down to it, from Washington Park. It was an experience like no other. It is MUCH taller in person than it looks in the pictures. It was so impressive and beautiful.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #45447
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
If the GCT rezoning gets approved, we should be able to see a proposal that high by 2018 (1 Vanderbilt). Still, 5 years isn't bad at all.
If youre expecting 1 Vanderbilt to be 550m high (or even close to that), even with rezoning, youre going to be dissapointed.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #45448
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

I said we'd be able to see one that high, not that we would. That'd be the earliest time one could get approved to go that tall.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #45449
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Seriously, I can understand that people don't know as much as most members here, but I do expect people to know that the WTC is in Manhattan.
Seriously I work in an office in down town DET. Where most see the the DET REN CEN, and that's the is the highest structure they have ever seen.. well they say they ever seen, I point out to them,( about 3 or 4,) that half the radio broadcast antennaes in the area are taller,(than Det Gm Ren Cen, or almost). One said he thought that 1 WTC was gone, (and they we're building some muslim center on that hallowed ground).. I told him NOT RIGHT THERE, but several blocks away that is a plan. He had no idea what was going to replace it, So I asked him for shit's and giggles "have you ever heard of 432 Park Avenue? I told him There's know way you have but you're cheap ass could probably afford to live there, if you had a brain,, Yes I work with a bunch of pocket protector wearers, book smart, but very dumb in common sense. They can probably figure out the theory of relativity, but can't put together a train set. NO F"N JOKE.. The thing is I would show these guys on the computer, but anytime we stray from anything work related it's says access denied.

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by bigreach; May 4th, 2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: This is by no way a lie, or made up, I'm baffled as well
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #45450
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
You're talking about the SW section, I guess? Or do you have a camera pointed on the NW side?
I've got a camera on that side as well as the SE side too.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #45451
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biagio View Post
Show me your friends I'll tell you who you are....
Your friend,if really you have some,has a very low culture!
All over the world,on the news,they speak about WTC.
But everybody know here that,as you have a problem with your ***** size you glorify china,especially in an other thread.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and if you want to compare penises go play with your chiuaua, you might meet your match. But if you lose don't take it out on the members who have stuff to say you don't like Those threads have nothing to do with this thread, so why are you combining forums.. I stay positive on this thread, as well as I may bash the slowness on other threads, I personally want to see this "erected" another word you can play with, before I go in the middle of June,, I planned this trip Last Oct, when I talked to Carlos quite often, He told me to come then, however my wife got ill, he suggested June, where to stay, and now it's almost June and I'm gonna take him up on his suggestions of where to stay, with my "wife" (probably not who you had in mind), where to party and where to dine.. So if you got a problem with my ***** maybe you should take a look at your own 1st.

Last edited by bigreach; May 4th, 2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Sorry moderators, just have a problem wilth vulgarity directed at me.
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #45452
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddington View Post
Maybe only the light will be at 1776ft. Is it possible?
You're actually right. With the original shell encasing, it only went up 1,776 feet, while the transmitting equipment was on an antenna segment extending from the spire a few feet higher that wasn't ruled as an architectural element, and thus not counted. That explains why we're seeing higher figures. It's just pinnacle height measurements, not official. The pole we see above the beacon light shouldn't count.

Coddington, HRP4Life liked this post
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #45453
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

1 Vanderbilt might be 1,470 tops to the tip of its spire judging by the sketch renders, that wont come close to 1 wtc pinnacle .
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #45454
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

That wasn't even a legitimate proposal, if I recall correctly. 1 Vanderbilt still needs rezoning, approval, funding, and tenants, so I'm guessing that proposal is just brainstorming for when the opportunity comes. Not to mention there will be space for plenty of other towers with that potential there.

Kanto liked this post
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #45455
YoDanza'97

Likes (Received): 15

Delete

Last edited by YoDanza'97; May 6th, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
YoDanza'97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #45456
YoDanza'97

Likes (Received): 15

Delete

Last edited by YoDanza'97; May 16th, 2013 at 04:37 AM.
YoDanza'97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #45457
liny631

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Seriously, I can understand that people don't know as much as most members here, but I do expect people to know that the WTC is in Manhattan.
You think that's bad? I know tons of people who think Long Island is part of NYC. I mean technically 2 boroughs (Brooklyn and Queens) are on LI, but they assume half of the island is. In fact, if you try to check in on Facebook it lists that 30 people have checked in at "NYC" when they are 50 miles east of Manhattan lol. Then I have to explain to them I live 35 miles east of the true NYC border in Queens about 40 minutes away and they look confused. Lots of out of towners also confuse Staten Island with Long Island. I knew someone from outside of Rochester and he said "I'm going to the city!" so I said oh great I'll take the train in and meet up with you! I am used to "the city" meaning strictly Manhattan like most people in the metro area. He apparently meant Rochester. I proceeded to make fun of him and tell him that there is only ONE "the city"
liny631 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #45458
Fabio_T

Likes (Received): 907

Quote:
Because they don't use a crane for the cladding, at least no big one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
There was a video back in july about how they put up cladding...

They used those little elevator thingys on the sides of the building to deliver the cladding, and then the workers install them on the floor itself.
Thank you very much I never knew it was possible to put up the cladding without using a crane!
Fabio_T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #45459
whd13b

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
Seriously I work in an office in down town DET. Where most see the the DET REN CEN, and that's the is the highest structure they have ever seen.. well they say they ever seen, I point out to them,( about 3 or 4,) that half the radio broadcast antennaes in the area are taller,(than Det Gm Ren Cen, or almost). One said he thought that 1 WTC was gone, (and they we're building some muslim center on that hallowed ground).. I told him NOT RIGHT THERE, but several blocks away that is a plan. He had no idea what was going to replace it, So I asked him for shit's and giggles "have you ever heard of 432 Park Avenue? I told him There's know way you have but you're cheap ass could probably afford to live there, if you had a brain,, Yes I work with a bunch of pocket protector wearers, book smart, but very dumb in common sense. They can probably figure out the theory of relativity, but can't put together a train set. NO F"N JOKE.. The thing is I would show these guys on the computer, but anytime we stray from anything work related it's says access denied.
by the way..it's "no" not "know"
whd13b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #45460
TomBF

Likes (Received): 13

like this

Kanto, deadhead262, Bushmaster liked this post
TomBF no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center