daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #46041
meniisoc

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundrop74 View Post
Unless they build 2WTC and 3WTC as planned, I will always consider the Twins more flattering to the skyline. Their sheer size made them worthy of admiration, and this new tower looks puny in comparison.
To me the Twins will always be more flattering to the skyline. 1-4 WTC looks like a disjointed collection of various buildings, never designed to match. 1WTC looks ok, but the spire is way to high, and on a world stage it's not impressively high or anything special, 2WTC looks ok, but doesn't connect to the design of 1 and is not that high at all, 3WTC is just terrible, and 4WTC is not even high enough to be considered part of the skyline.
Overall, i can't be more unimpressed by the new wtc.
meniisoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #46042
NYdude

Likes (Received): 38

I am so happy to see this tower topped out. I don't know if I'm part of the minority here or not, but I really like the spire. I like how it is so different from the rest of the building, you know? The communications rings help in the transition between the body of the building and the spire. I personally really like it, and never thought it was "hideous" or a "tragedy" as some have put it. But that's just my own opinion.
NYdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #46043
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

^ Really the mast is too high? I guess you didn't know the Twins that well, where the North Tower's pinnacle height was 1,727'. And it always amuses me how people judge prematurely. How about we just wait till 2 & 3 WTC are done? Because you know, in most cases the buildings look better in real life than in renderings (4WTC being the hero here).
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #46044
Dense_Electric

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by meniisoc View Post
4WTC is not even high enough to be considered part of the skyline.
I'm sorry, what? Apart from 1WTC, 4WTC is the tallest thing in lower Manhattan. How the hell is that not tall enough to be considered part of the skyline?

Dwotci, HRP4Life liked this post
Dense_Electric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #46045
Vito Corleone

Likes (Received): 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^ Really the mast is too high? I guess you didn't know the Twins that well, where the North Tower's pinnacle height was 1,727'. And it always amuses me how people judge prematurely. How about we just wait till 2 & 3 WTC are done? Because you know, in most cases the buildings look better in real life than in renderings (4WTC being the hero here).
Well said. 1 WTC is really starting to grow on me, especially how it restores the Lower Manhattan skyline.
Vito Corleone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #46046
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 51

One question I have is whether all of the communications equipment is going to be located on the communications rings or whether the spire will also have equipment attached to it at a later date like they did with the Tokyo Sky Tree. On the first photo above posted by Ken From Jersey you can see that the spire is just a hodgepodge stack of sections that mostly look different from each other until you get to the very top section that's enclosed. I think that top section is very attractive and has architectural merit but all the sections below it just have a utilitarian appearance with no architectural merit whatsoever. So what I'm wondering is after they remove those temporary platforms between the various sections is anything else going to be added that will change the appearance of the spire such as communications equipment or is this how it's going to look permanently. If the only purpose of stacking those spire sections was to get over 400 additional feet in height I think it would have been better just to have installed the communication rings on the flat roof and skipped the spire altogether. The building is beautiful in my opinion and so what if it wouldn't be the tallest building in America, it would still be one of the most attractive.

NYCrulz liked this post
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #46047
NYCrulz

Likes (Received): 2400

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1341011

Funkyskunk2, spectre000, Swiddle, r0cc0 liked this post
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #46048
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One question I have is whether all of the communications equipment is going to be located on the communications rings or whether the spire will also have equipment attached to it at a later date like they did with the Tokyo Sky Tree. On the first photo above posted by Ken From Jersey you can see that the spire is just a hodgepodge stack of sections that mostly look different from each other until you get to the very top section that's enclosed. I think that top section is very attractive and has architectural merit but all the sections below it just have a utilitarian appearance with no architectural merit whatsoever. So what I'm wondering is after they remove those temporary platforms between the various sections is anything else going to be added that will change the appearance of the spire such as communications equipment or is this how it's going to look permanently. If the only purpose of stacking those spire sections was to get over 400 additional feet in height I think it would have been better just to have installed the communication rings on the flat roof and skipped the spire altogether. The building is beautiful in my opinion and so what if it wouldn't be the tallest building in America, it would still be one of the most attractive.
Good question, the "enclosed" sections towards the top that you mention are designed specifically with antennas in mind. All those identical looking openings around the exterior are designed to hold an antenna in the future. Of course they will never all be used, but this allows a mounting option above the rings for smaller devices. also the long extensions that are regularly spaced on these sections are ladders to allow access to the exterior for future mounting. Don't worry too much about the visual effect, because the devices will likely be small and relatively close to the structure. I hope that answers your question.

MontanaGuy liked this post
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #46049
Marioma

Likes (Received): 688

Observation Spire???

image hosted on flickr

Artist rendering of the soon to be finished One World Trade Center. xpost r/pics. [2018x2995] von redditpictures auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center von richpope auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center Top Out May 10, 2013 von NYMAN2010 auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

One WTC - 1776 Feet (P1620131-1_2-2_3-3_4-4_5-5_tonemapped) von michael.2999.pics auf Flickr
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #46050
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

God the "spire" looks weird...

sundrop74, DFDalton, HRP4Life liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #46051
Marioma

Old May 11th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #46052
Himmelwärts
Emotional User

Likes (Received): 6301

does anyone of you know where i can get those pics in a high definition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkay View Post

Old May 11th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #46053
MDguy

WOW. What a beauty!
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #46054
sundrop74
Skyscraper Aficionado

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
Yeah well the Chinese build for shits and giggles most of the time they can't even find tenants to fill them, unlike here we build on demand, aka the smart thing to do.
Ummm... 1WTC definitely wasn't built for demand. It isn't even close to filled yet.
sundrop74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #46055
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23056

it's funny because One WTC has a Chinese Tenant, so you could say that there is international demand. Don't forget that 1 WTC was planned and started construction just before the economic crisis hit, so we're lucky there was any demand at all.

Last edited by Hudson11; May 11th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #46056
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

I love how it dominates the skyline. It has an imposing and commanding presence over the entire city that speaks volumes.

r0cc0 liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #46057
Chapelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
They need them for many things, for example:
-HVAC intake of outside air to mix with recycled air
-releasing heat/cooling equipment like transformers/motors
-supplying air to run generators (exhaust leaves at the roof)
-lots more that I can't think of at the moment.
Aren't the vents also supposed to be an allusion to the impact zone in the original 1WTC? They appear to be at the same height.

billgates liked this post
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #46058
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundrop74 View Post
Ummm... 1WTC definitely wasn't built for demand. It isn't even close to filled yet.
The Conde Nast, Chinese and government tenants occupy more than half the building already.
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #46059
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Suppose you're making the decision for the CTBUH regarding the official height of WTC1. How would you rule?

Here's what I would say:

The structure atop WTC1 was originally designed with a dual purpose. First, it was to act as a functional mast to hold telecommunications equipment. A structure which posesses this sole function is not recognized in our official rankings of Height to Architectural Top.

Second, through the use of decorative cladding, the mast was to be fitted out as a "spire" - an aesthetic continuation of the building's architectural statement. A structure with this purpose, whether primary or secondary in functional consideration, may be considered for measurement in Height to Architectural Top.

With the elimination of the cladding, the mast atop WTC1 maintains its function as an antenna but can not be said to retain its aesthetic purpose as a "spire". Just as we do not recognize a building's officially height until it is completed, we can not recognize the structure atop WTC1 as a "spire" unless it has been physically completed as such.

Therefore, the building's official architectural height will be measured to the top of the roof parapet, making WTC1 the 3rd tallest building in the Western Hemisphere when measured to Architectural Top, behind the Willis Tower and Trump International Hotel and Tower - both located in Chicago. WTC1's height to Architectural Top may be revised in the future if the originally-designed cladding is added to the mast, completing it as a decorative spire.

Vito Corleone liked this post
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #46060
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

^ There will be an epic outbreak if Trump Chicago (1171' roof) ends up being taller than 1WTC.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center