daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #46221
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

It doesn't matter now anyway, but I'm wondering how they would have added the radome to the antenna. Would they have erected the complete antenna first (like it now looks like) and then added the radome or would they have added it directly to each new erected piece? Or a complete different way, like adding the radome directly after the antenna was manufactured?
Would be great if someone has knowledge about that.
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #46222
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Latest update from yesterday, almost finished!

One World Trade Center May 2013 Construction Update

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

DinoVabec liked this post
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #46223
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1079

It's hilarious to see all the old haters back in this thread praising the building, years later. Some people have such short memories.

NewYorkSkyline117, Cochecho, TheCap'n liked this post
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #46224
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
That would definitely help. So no one will be in a hurry to sign a lease contract right now.
Yeap. Most companies prefer midtown because its a shorter commute for people who live in Upper West or East Side or commuters who get off at Grand Central Station.

Once the Transit Hub opens, it will link the commuter trains from New Jersey, Long Island and the Subway of New York all into one area.

That will cause companies to consider setting up offices in Downtown.

But right now I heard some trouble with Conde Nast as Anna Wintour is not happy moving to One World Trade Center because in her current office she has her own personal restroom. And she won't have that option in One World Trade Center.

NateArchibald, liny631 liked this post
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #46225
73enforcer

Likes (Received): 6

I can't wait to get a Metal model of this tower to go beside my wtc twin tower ones. Both together will be beautiful

I'd even chip in some $ for a white-stick payal fund if there was one.
73enforcer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #46226
MissyC

Oh my, those open outdoor platforms on the antenna are just such wonderful and perfect spot for a high tea or a romantic dinner at night
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #46227
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2985

Earthcam Skyline cam is back up and running.

image hosted on flickr

1WTC at sunset By rebertocordon

image hosted on flickr

51113_Manhattan Bridge_43 By petra.gaum

image hosted on flickr

Blue Hour Heights at Brookfield Place (Formerly WFC) By New Yorkled
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #46228
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 283

They have finally started cladding the last section of the upper floors (NW face)

L.A.F.2. liked this post
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #46229
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCap'n View Post
PMad, are you doing your 3D designs for fun, or are you involved in the project somehow? I'm just curious
I like the mental challenge and teaching others. I also fly light aircraft, play clarinet, self taught myself piano, and recently tried out the church organ. I haven't taken any videos of myself playing recently but on my youtube page I have the 1 and 3 WTC videos, a few piano clips, footage from the right seat of a Cessna 150, and my first attempt at organ. I started the one world trade center models to satisfy my curiosity, then questions started popping up on these forums that were best answered visually. I used info from ZenSteelDude in the beginning, and then it took off as sources started overlapping and it became easier to make more and more extensive models. My first image posts were around when the top floors of this tower were going in and we couldn't agree on the floor we were on.

Jongeheer, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #46230
Coddington
... Coddi ...

Likes (Received): 262

More glass being installed on south side.

Twitter: @NonoTwitte
Coddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #46231
muck308
Just ducky

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
It's hilarious to see all the old haters back in this thread praising the building, years later. Some people have such short memories.
Meh. People change their minds. I for one could not stand the renders for 432 Park Ave but now that I see it actually going up I rather like it. Simple and classy design. At the time I was just thinking that a building of that height should be a bit more iconic and daring with its design but it grew on me.
muck308 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #46232
Coddington
... Coddi ...

Likes (Received): 262

Twitter: @NonoTwitte

L.A.F.2., spectre000, Swiddle, billgates, r0cc0 liked this post
Coddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #46233
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Yeap. Most companies prefer midtown because its a shorter commute for people who live in Upper West or East Side or commuters who get off at Grand Central Station.

Once the Transit Hub opens, it will link the commuter trains from New Jersey, Long Island and the Subway of New York all into one area.

That will cause companies to consider setting up offices in Downtown.

But right now I heard some trouble with Conde Nast as Anna Wintour is not happy moving to One World Trade Center because in her current office she has her own personal restroom. And she won't have that option in One World Trade Center.

I think you are misinformed about that. The Transit Hub is just a fancier and very expensive station for a service that is already there. It won't have commuter trains from Jersey, Long Island, nor newer subway services.
It would serve the PATH, that is like a second, smaller, subway system for the New York Area, managed by the Port Authority instead of MTA and links Manhattan with Jersey City, Hoboken, Harrison and Newark. But as I said, the service of the PATH is already there, as it has been for a hundred years. The Calatrava designed station is a much appealing station than the current one (which is temporary, since the original was destroyed on 9-11) and I think it would offer better transfers with the NY Subway, but that's all, it won't offer newer services.
That's why I think the opening of that hub, won't really help to attract more tenants, since it wont mean more transportation service to the area.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #46234
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck308 View Post
Meh. People change their minds. I for one could not stand the renders for 432 Park Ave but now that I see it actually going up I rather like it. Simple and classy design. At the time I was just thinking that a building of that height should be a bit more iconic and daring with its design but it grew on me.
It is daring! No other building has such proportions.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #46235
Jongeheer

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
I like the mental challenge and teaching others.
I love your work, and I also love the mental challenge of modelling complex shapes! Keep it up
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #46236
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

I have a different take about the HUB. Yes no new services with transit etc... but what it will offer is a place to stay and hang out in. Right now there is nothing there, so people come from wherever they come from and disperse. No reason being there.

With the HUB it will have a Mall component that will be operated by Westfield Mall. This will certainly add life to the area with good retail and restaurants operating within just like the previous WTC mall. People all over the FIDI, tourist will go there to grab a lunch and browse around and hang out in and life will start to flourish. The mall retail component in Related Hudson Yards is a big selling point along with its parks that will bring life and make it a destination. Soon this will be a destination for downtown.

When this happens, the quality of life would drastically improve from what it is now... dead and potential WTC tenants will be drawn to it as it will be viewed as a plus for their workforce.

Right now it’s really hard to see this, but it will have a positive effect when the Hub is completed, and finally when 1 WTC if open for business.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; May 13th, 2013 at 11:57 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #46237
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5311

The PATH Station's estimated cost is $3.44 billion, so building it before building the actual towers would be a waste of what little money remains in Silverstein's pockets, which is why he put it on hold for now. Building it first would create high commercial desirability, but then he wouldn't have the necessary funding from there to build the towers that they want, which is his main priority in the first place. Bottom line is, for the best results, build Towers 1, 3, and 4 first, let the rent collect to build the transportation hub, and more tenants will flock to the area because of the PATH Station so the final space can be constructed for the biggest profit and least time.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #46238
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
I like the mental challenge and teaching others. I also fly light aircraft
Sweet! I'm so jeolous. To learn to fly is one of my goals that i seriously plan on doing.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #46239
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
The game changer will be the Transit Hub.

Its scheduled to open in December 2015 if there are no delays but I highly doubt that.

It will most likely open in 1Q or 2Q of 2016. Once that is open and companies realize the potential of having an offie so close to a major transit hub, then interest in 2WTC and 3WTC will spike.
You don't know that, you've been saying b.s. like that for too long -_-

spectre000 liked this post
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #46240
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck308 View Post
Oh, I changed my mind, as soon as I saw, the final designs. Yes, I would have liked the twins back, in the beginning, but I knew that wouldn't happen, simply because the design was outdated, and not economically feasible. I was just happy that it wasn't going to be that horrible design that Leibeskind had originated. It'll even look better when the facade cladding is complete.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center