daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #46421
-TDN-

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmc9th View Post
Today

* The south pool is looking better and better
* SO is 4 wtc and Freedom
ok people, this image is from earlier construction. There is no core nor supercolumn. I've checked a ton of pictures like this one. This building is built the same way as a 10-storey building is with small beams and columns connecting each other, which is pretty simple in an engineering point of view. Now, it's your turn to post a picture with core and super columns. Also, go over to Chinese building threads to see what an actual core or a supercolumn looks like!
-TDN- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #46422
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
You can also see the Great Wall of China from space.
Actually that's a myth.

sergiomazzi, n1ckdrake, Highcliff liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #46423
AEMV
Ciudadano del Mundo...

Likes (Received): 460

for rendering the antenna has a white coating...now the antenna is finished?

@Intro_mcbo
AEMV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #46424
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TDN- View Post
ok people, this image is from earlier construction. There is no core nor supercolumn. I've checked a ton of pictures like this one. This building is built the same way as a 10-storey building is with small beams and columns connecting each other, which is pretty simple in an engineering point of view. Now, it's your turn to post a picture with core and super columns. Also, go over to Chinese building threads to see what an actual core or a supercolumn looks like!
Maybe because the steel is built over the core

L.A.F.2., Highcliff liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #46425
wilmervanheerde

Likes (Received): 2

Look at one of the first posts of this thread, it says:

Completion - 1st Quarter 2011
wilmervanheerde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #46426
minichori
Carry On

Likes (Received): 118

The building itself is the core.

Mind-blowing.
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #46427
minichori
Carry On

Likes (Received): 118

BTW, you may have not seen this yet...

image hosted on flickr

I don't know you, but I call that concrete wall "core".
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #46428
wicca13
Western

Likes (Received): 9483

guys, get over the China post... doesn't make any sense to compare China to the US. Only if they become the largest economy, military and social wealth power in the world it would make sense to to campare both countries, otherwise, let people say what they wanna say...

Loving the One world trade center, i really hope they start working hard on towers 2 and 3.
wicca13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #46429
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Shanghai Tower's Steel super columns and core combined are probably larger than this whole tower. This building doesn't even have a core. Most supertalls in China have giant core and super column. Just to give you an idea how strong and massive some buildings are compared to 1WTC.
This tower's square footage is greater than Shanghai Tower's, which goes to show how nonsensical this post was. Not to mention this uses 14,000 p.s.i. concrete and a steel skeleton.

NewYorkSkyline117, NYCrulz liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #46430
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDanza'97 View Post
If the main roof is 1,334 feet 8 inches, then would that mean the total height of the spire (with lightning rod) is 457 feet? I don't recall any building with a taller one.
Only 394' is visible taking into account the parapet and communications ring.

And the Burj Khalifa's spire is taller than 1WTC's. Highest floor to pinnacle is 799 feet.

Highcliff liked this post
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #46431
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Wow, the shear outrage expressed about a comparison of this tower to those in other countries seems a bit extreme. I attribute it to the extreme hatred of China that is prevalent in United States. Hopefully we can get past that some day.

In my opinion, a level headed discussion of the comparison would be interesting. There's no need to get angry, even if you believe a claim is wrong. For example, are there other buildings using the same or stronger concrete?

ThatOneGuy liked this post
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #46432
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22548

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
I attribute it to the extreme hatred of China that is prevalent in United States. ?
No such 'hatred' exists. propaganda fueled paranoia maybe, but that's enough of that.

I think i would rather face east and see the trade center than watch the sun set.
[IMG]http://oi40.************/34zegw5.jpg[/IMG]

Swiddle, HRP4Life, n1ckdrake liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #46433
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Hello, TDN. First of all I plead for apologies if my first post offended you, just couldn't resist the hard moment I was experiencing.

Now, moving the conversation into a more mature way, I'd really like to share some facts that would counterpoise your previous statement and prove it false. But truth is that with so many security concerns involved in this project, I can't really tell not even a small fraction of the total features this tower has that gives it the merit of one of the strongest -if not the strongest- building on the globe, mainly because I don't even know most of them, ha!

But lets state some few facts that are already disclosed and shared to the public, shall we?

Appearance can sometimes distort the actual reality of things, size doesn't always ensure performance and having some fancy features doesn't guarantee you the thing will actually work.
This tower has indeed a core, and it is called a monotholitic core, its greatness doesn't rely on its size (although it is quite big on the ground!!) but rather on the interaction it has with the surrounding structure and quality of materials. The type of connection between the core and the perimeter structure is very much like a dovetail joint, its stiffness relies on the fact that connections with the overall structure is actually buried over concrete with rebar of such quantity and quality that on some areas one single piece is as thick as your wrist!, the type of concrete being used is as well atypical, not only for the outstanding PSI units it claims it has, but also the revolutionary chemical composition of it.

The type of structural configuration allows to position more and smaller columns on its perimeter, making it more flexible and responsive to all these kind of forces the tower may face during its lifespan, including earthquakes of great magnitude and category 5 hurricanes. The connections and links arranged between beams and columns allows for the creation of alternate load paths that can work if any or several of the columns were compromised.

Curtain wall is also an impressive revolution, although I am not aware of its stiffness (which I am not willing to know a bit), truth is it works similar to the front windshield you've got on your car.

I can tell some other disclosed information about the stiffness and strength of the tower, like fireproofing, sprinkler systems, water storage tanks, refuge rooms, pressurized emergency stairs, emergency generators, HVAC filters for biological and chemical agents, cam security systems, vertical transportation safety measures, etc, etc, etc.... But now I've got tons of work to do, so please forgive me if I decide not to continue this conversation.

Many towers and structures around the world, including the Shanghai Tower, have been structurally redesigned as a respond to 9/11. What's quite funny is that most of these features are being copied from what's being done down here at the World Trade Center site.

PS. Shanghai Tower is my favourite supertall

Last edited by Otie; May 17th, 2013 at 03:26 AM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #46434
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
Wow, the shear outrage expressed about a comparison of this tower to those in other countries seems a bit extreme. I attribute it to the extreme hatred of China that is prevalent in United States. Hopefully we can get past that some day.

In my opinion, a level headed discussion of the comparison would be interesting. There's no need to get angry, even if you believe a claim is wrong. For example, are there other buildings using the same or stronger concrete?
At the moment, 432 Park Avenue is the only other one using 14,000 p.s.i. However, please don't think I'm trying to advocate American supremacy by saying so, because I'm not. It's just the way things are right now, andI'm sure by 2020 we'll see some more buildings using this strength of concrete. Only reason I replied in such a manner was to show how that particular user's 1WTC knowledge was lacking, not to trash other countries' construction projects.
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #46435
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

Otie rules.

Informative liked this post
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #46436
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

432 Park's concrete looks lickable. I've never seen such beautiful concrete like it before.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled By [ raymond ]

aruckert, Swiddle, hunser, billgates liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #46437
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

NYC City Counselman Dan Garodnick, who represents the Grand Central/Midtown East rezoning, was recently quoted saying that the World Trade Center Complex will be finished by 2019. I'm assuming the validity of his statement is very accurate considering his position.

Quote:
...Community Board 1 recently joined three in midtown to evaluate the rezoning because the downtown board is concerned about the World Trade Center.

"The World Trade Center campus will not be completed until 2019, so how we can begin to evaluate its success before then makes no sense," said Catherine McVay Hughes, board chair of Community Board 1.

Last edited by L.A.F.2.; May 17th, 2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #46438
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:

The stupidity and ignorance was outrageous not the comparison.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #46439
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Oh God, Otie, I can't even imagine a Category 5 striking NYC......& to think Sandy was only a 1.....
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #46440
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Who are you?
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center