daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2013, 03:14 PM   #46581
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
I sure hope this is a low cloud and not smoke:

[IMG]http://i39.************/fqp08.png[/IMG]
Haha, we are having some "weather" here in the US at the moment.

Also, NYC is right in the crook of NJ/staten island and long island and the atlantic ocean, very frequently there are clouds and mist/fog especially when you take into account the heat island effect and all the vapor put out by the HVAC plants on all those roofs.

Frequently i would go to exchange place and look across and not be able to see the top 3rd of the taller buildings, look back west and clear sky.

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:57 PM   #46582
АмУх

Likes (Received): 670

cladding of south east wall just completed!

almost

Coddington liked this post
АмУх no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:19 PM   #46583
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post

No offense, but you're on the other side of the planet. I've actually stood next to this building about 100 times, from when it was a mass of rebar below street level. I have been all over NYC and the hudson waterfront of NJ. I can tell you right now, the spire will not look right without the radome added, and frankly in my opinion should not be counted towards height until it does. There has been so much unbalanced compromise on the design from day one that the least they could do is actually follow through on this one simple thing. This will be a source of pride for many people, it makes no sense to do less than they could and leave it as an ugly "stick". NY times, BoA, 4 times square all have nice looking spires, this one is not pleasant visually because it isnt complete.
So you see it all the time. Great! I see it every time I look out of my living room window and I am not happy with it, but this endless complaining still annoys me. Pointless.

My guess is that the radome was abandoned because there's a chance that renters may want to mount equipment not only on the telecom ring but higher up on the spire so they wanted to make sure they don't loose money there. Which would be understandable actually.

Still what happened to it is similar to buying the most expensive Rolls Royce model but saving a few bucks by not putting the front grill on it then driving around with the engine showing through a hole on the front if the car.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:43 PM   #46584
73enforcer

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
So you see it all the time. Great! I see it every time I look out of my living room window and I am not happy with it, but this endless complaining still annoys me. Pointless.

My guess is that the radome was abandoned because there's a chance that renters may want to mount equipment not only on the telecom ring but higher up on the spire so they wanted to make sure they don't loose money there. Which would be understandable actually.

Still what happened to it is similar to buying the most expensive Rolls Royce model but saving a few bucks by not putting the front grill on it then driving around with the engine showing through a hole on the front if the car.
I envy thee that see's her out of thy window!

Battleship grey is still proper minging tho.. I cling on to the hope that white bits could still be added later on like er.. you know who.
73enforcer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:33 PM   #46585
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post

I'm well aware of how it all works. They could simply temporarily remove the sections needed to install the equipment & then cover it back over once they are done.

Interesting analogy, as RR would probably charge more for that.

My issue is that this project has been a string of compromises to the ugly side from day one. You gotta draw the line somewhere, or what's the point in caring at all what gets built at this site, a mass grave for so many? You know, the pilot from flight 179 was from my area. Bet you didn't know that. His memorial shut down half my town there were so many people in attendance. You may see this building out your window, but its more than just a building to me.

And to clarify, i'm not complaining, i'm curious as to when the issue will be resolved. There is a difference.
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:48 PM   #46586
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by АмУх View Post
cladding of south east wall just completed!

almost
Go baby go!
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:50 PM   #46587
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Also some more progress on the uppermost communications ring, actually they don't look that bad after all

How long until the temporary platforms around the mast can be removed, anyone? Can they get rid of the crane on the temp platform, once the temp platforms around the mast are taken down?
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:59 PM   #46588
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

It'll be removed after guyed wires are installed, communications ring is completed and dishes are installed, and cooling towers are placed. (Not sure if that has been done yet.)
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:57 PM   #46589
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
Haha, we are having some "weather" here in the US at the moment.

Also, NYC is right in the crook of NJ/staten island and long island and the atlantic ocean, very frequently there are clouds and mist/fog especially when you take into account the heat island effect and all the vapor put out by the HVAC plants on all those roofs.

Frequently i would go to exchange place and look across and not be able to see the top 3rd of the taller buildings, look back west and clear sky.
I could barely make out the tower from the Raritan Bridge today because it's so hot and hazy!
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:04 PM   #46590
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
I could barely make out the tower from the Raritan Bridge today because it's so hot and hazy!
Very, very humid. Everything feels so muggy and sticky aswell.
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM   #46591
NewYorkSkyline117

Yeah it's nasty
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM   #46592
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
It'll be removed after guyed wires are installed, communications ring is completed and dishes are installed, and cooling towers are placed. (Not sure if that has been done yet.)
Well it will be gone before dishes go in since they currently have no broadcast tenants yet. Everything up there should be down sometime this summer
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:51 PM   #46593
SnipeShot

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheTubaGuy View Post
Huh? It is almost exactly the same height as the former twins to roof, so when viewed from the sides, it has the same outline as one of the twins.
I agree with both your statements. It does from certain angles have the shape of one of the twins, but as there is just one, even though four wtc is present, it does not have the same dominating factor, as if there were two.
SnipeShot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:06 AM   #46594
liam.garret

Likes (Received): 7

Just saw this on the local news. Love how the light catches the corner. The building looks especially tall, too!
liam.garret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:57 AM   #46595
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

1WTC Is visible almost all the time for that station (Assuming thats WNBC News 4 New York)
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:57 AM   #46596
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kajleer...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roberto...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonpi...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pbin235...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8379824...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadtri...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3613993...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartb...n/photostream/

Swiddle, VRS liked this post

Last edited by Mike____; May 22nd, 2013 at 03:03 AM.
Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:58 AM   #46597
NewYorkSkyline117

Whoa
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:32 AM   #46598
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

phenomenal shots
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:40 AM   #46599
liny631

Likes (Received): 64

I was really hoping the beacon would be overpowering and very bright, but I could barely see it from 10 miles away on many occasions. This sucks because I definitely won't be able to see it from 38 miles 270 ft up. Not sure if I will even be able to see the spire...probably just some hazy outline of the building at most.
liny631 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:45 AM   #46600
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

Quote:
Originally Posted by liny631 View Post
I was really hoping the beacon would be overpowering and very bright, but I could barely see it from 10 miles away on many occasions. This sucks because I definitely won't be able to see it from 38 miles 270 ft up. Not sure if I will even be able to see the spire...probably just some hazy outline of the building at most.
The beacon hasn't even been turned on yet...

Anyone know what Goldmans Sach is powered by? That building is extremely bright.
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center