daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2013, 11:49 AM   #46881
windowsofthe

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
Of course. But it's pretty ignorant to say the building isn't dominate, we all know 1 WTC is much smaller than the twins.... Although, the pictures below your post speak for themselves and that's only half of what we're getting.

I understand your feelings for the twins but you have to know that they're gone and aren't coming back. These are beautiful buildings and IMO a proper replacement.
I know the twins are gone, i didn't bring the twins into this discussion in the first place, you did. I simply said 2WTC should have been the main tower and 1WTC should have taken 2WTC's place seeing how it's gonna steal the spotlight anyway.
windowsofthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:53 AM   #46882
skyscraperjosh96

Likes (Received): 14

I just can't believe this building is so close to completion after all these years! With the cladding done (except the elevator) I can almost feel it! It's so beautiful
skyscraperjosh96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:31 PM   #46883
Gargarensis
:-]

Likes (Received): 232

By Lockhart Steele @Lock

Old May 31st, 2013, 01:52 PM   #46884
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

lol, why are lots of people commenting about the cladding being done? Not a single floor on the entire building is fully clad. Besides the elevator, there is also the base to clad.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:13 PM   #46885
Alargule
Gidroow Neget Mola

Likes (Received): 2027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddington View Post
Am I the only one who see "legs" here?
Nope. That was the first association I had, too. Either women dancing or desperately trying to hold up their pee...
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:34 PM   #46886
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
Kanto are you telling me you like Foster's proposal ? but you don't like the Chrysler Building ?
Yup, somthing like that. They aren't a masterpiece but they still look good and the best thing about them is that they are twins and that they are taller than the old twins. These two things alone make them a far better replacement than what we're getting

Also, I like the World Cultural Center as well and hate Pataki for sabotaging it because from what I heard it was just about to win the proposal choice

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:50 PM   #46887
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsofthe View Post
I know the twins are gone, i didn't bring the twins into this discussion in the first place, you did. I simply said 2WTC should have been the main tower and 1WTC should have taken 2WTC's place seeing how it's gonna steal the spotlight anyway.
You've completely misunderstood my post.

This diagram will show you why the buildings are built as is, height, location. Rearranging the buildings or building something entirely else will ruin the overall site.

Keith Michael NYC

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

SOBPhotography

image hosted on flickr

pmarella

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by iiConTr0v3rSYx; May 31st, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:04 PM   #46888
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
They have not, to my knowledge been shown in renderings, Otie and I have seen them in architectural diagrams uploaded by the late ZenSteelDude. They direct humid air away from the equipment on the rings and also allow the steam to be released above the building and blow away. We can only tell what they look like on the black and white diagrams. I added a structural system of U channels to simulate what is seen in the diagrams.
Thanks. I never noticed them before on his plans but I see them now. Easy to miss. Depending on how they look they might do a decent job making the rings appear a little beefier, and they also answer my questions about the exhaust being directly underneath a bunch of electrical and broadcast equipment.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:28 PM   #46889
PABLOEING

Likes (Received): 28

¿From the midtown with the 2 WTc at side of 1 WTc is not the same vision like the old WTC?
PABLOEING no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:39 PM   #46890
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:

This diagram will show you why the buildings are built as is, height, location. Rearranging the buildings or building something entirely else will ruin the overall site.

Keith Michael NYC

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

SOBPhotography

image hosted on flickr

pmarella

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Sorry but Libsekind's site plan is just horrible and the reflections off of tower 2 are nothing more than a lame excuse for Larry trying hard to make the new WTC as uniconic as possible. The designs of the towers are awesome but the site plan and the building's heights are a catastrophe

As to domination, in my opinion 1WTC is more dominating than one of the Twins would be because of its tappering, however both Twins together were more dominating than 1WTC simply because there were 2 of them

Last edited by Kanto; May 31st, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:24 PM   #46891
Gargarensis
:-]

Likes (Received): 232

Well done to Benson for meeting their May deadline for cladding installation should look superb for summer
Gargarensis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:50 PM   #46892
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
Actually, thinking back, this one might not have been too bad.

Sure, it's a little tacky and ostentacious, especially with a name like the World Cultural Center; but it's probably not much more so than the Calatrava transit station.

If that design had been picked; we would not have had such long delays in terms of getting the WTC up and running. The smaller towers in that design housed the vast majority of the office space, and could be built on market demand. The main visual elements that make an impact on the skyline would have been complete already, since these are structures that housed the memorial, museum, and other public venues, and would have had a lot less trouble sailing through the port authority and political establishment mess.

Not for replacing the originals. Wasted space with the hollow towers. As for market demand, the hell with that. A special place, just because of the circumstances, stands in the way of demand, as well it should. I very much appreciate the special priority put on height and design of the #1 tower. Not everybody likes its design, but not everybody liked the originals either. As for shorter office towers, no. We mustn't back down to terrorists, regardless of market demand.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:55 PM   #46893
Rockmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Sorry but Libsekind's site plan is just horrible and the reflections off of tower 2 are nothing more than a lame excuse for Larry trying hard to make the new WTC as uniconic as possible. The designs of the towers are awesome but the site plan and the building's heights are a catastrophe

As to domination, in my opinion 1WTC is more dominating than one of the Twins would be because of its tappering, however both Twins together were more dominating than 1WTC simply because there were 2 of them
The tapering design, is more distinctive than the originals, so that is how it stands out. Perhaps it possesses, a little less in the way of office space, but I actually like the design. I was glad Liebeskind's design was over-ridden. His original was a night-mare, and who can blame Silverstein for wanting to make it as iconic as possible? I actually like the idea of the sunlight ricocheting off the diamond shaped tower, into the pools. The only problem, is it is just taking too damn long for it to find a tenant.
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:02 PM   #46894
Rockmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
lol, why are lots of people commenting about the cladding being done? Not a single floor on the entire building is fully clad. Besides the elevator, there is also the base to clad.
All that's left is zipping up the zipper. That is what that temporary construction outside elevator makes it look like.
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:05 PM   #46895
Rockmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
No twin. Number one, this is NOT the original Twin Towers. This is a completely new WTC. It is supposed to represent rebirth, a renaissance, like a Phoenix who has risen from the ashes of destruction. The Twins are gone. This Tower is meant to stand alone as a solemn tribute to the memory of the twins, but it is also meant to revive the WTC with new life. The new design with WTC1,2, 3, and 4 is supposed to represent a spiral like design that flows to the Memorial Pools.
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:21 PM   #46896
RaischStudios

Likes (Received): 106

Spire Rising: Complete One WTC Spire Time-Lapse

A shot film of various time-lapse shot over the last 2 years. My footage will be featured in a documentary with the Discovery Channel and the Smithsonian. Wanted to share with the One WTC community. It's history told through time-lapse.

Kanto, Rockmont, Perolk, billgates, AlePa2013 and 6 others liked this post

Last edited by RaischStudios; May 31st, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
RaischStudios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:32 PM   #46897
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22571

the heat is on in NY today, welcome Summer. Despite the haze I spotted 1WTC and it's spire from the GWB
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:11 PM   #46898
windowsofthe

Quote:

Ironic you say i misunderstood your post when in fact you took my post and turned it into something else entirely. My point was that 1WTC isn't dominating. It's okay if you disagree.
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:12 PM   #46899
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Holy crap I'm dying in this heat...the building looked gorgeous from the ramp leading into the Lincoln Tunnel yesterday.......I'll post a pic soon

billgates liked this post
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:20 PM   #46900
windowsofthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
The tapering design, is more distinctive than the originals, so that is how it stands out.
I find this interesting. Care to elaborate as to how it is more distinctive and unique?

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center