daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 26th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #4681
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

where do you see FT cranes?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #4682
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

right above the water lol
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #4683
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Well it is Memorial Day here in the USA and yesterday was sunday so that might have a little to do with it.

Edit: Way late....

It's nice to see downtown from a different angle than what we're used to seeing with GS construction pics.

Last edited by mudvayneimn; May 27th, 2008 at 01:29 AM.
mudvayneimn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #4684
Northerly

Likes (Received): 0

What is the blue 'marina' type low rise building to the left of the cranes? Looks pretty cool!
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #4685
sämelihülz
Kansas of Elsass

Likes (Received): 16

Hey can someone give me an update about the actual situation, I don't have time to read all the 250 pages

How tall? Wich design?Completed in...?

Thanks folks !!!

***1893***
sämelihülz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #4686
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

^

Freedom tower 1368' to roof, 1776' to spire. Thats ~416 m to roof and 541 to spire
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #4687
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Questions: Is Beekman Place definite?
Would you be able to see Beekman from that angle, Or is it more towards American International?
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #4688
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzato View Post
Questions: Is Beekman Place definite?
Would you be able to see Beekman from that angle, Or is it more towards American International?
beekman is already underconstruction and above ground level -- on the second floor in fact. you wouldn't be able to see it from that angle, though. it is farther east, near the brooklyn bridge.
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #4689
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05252008...ing_112505.htm
GROUND ZERO IS BECKONING

May 25, 2008 -- WHAT hath Mike wrought?

More than is immediately apparent, but much less than he would have liked.

But all is not lost.

His mayoralty maintains for 585 more days, enough time (though barely) to forge a legacy worthy of the intelligence, energy and imagination of Michael R. Bloomberg.

As it stands, he'll be remembered for rezoning reform (huh?), the congestion-pricing debacle and a naive reliance on Albany to keep its word regarding mayoral control of the public schools.

And, yes, he's been a competent keeper of the city's books.

But they don't build monuments to accountants - and, besides, posterity is beckoning from Ground Zero.

Chaos has morphed into toxic stasis downtown.

No one seriously believes that the current schedule of construction deadlines is remotely achievable, and things are only getting worse.

Just last week, the Port Authority (the bi-state blob responsible for rebuilding on the World Trade Center site) pushed back projected completion dates for two of developer Larry Silverstein's Ground Zero office buildings - allegedly to give Merrill Lynch time to consider moving into one of them.

Here's hoping.

Much more likely, though, is that Merrill is on a subsidy-scrounging expedition; it lost billions last year, it needs desperately to recapitalize - and some believe it barely can afford its current Battery Park City digs.

Bottom line?

On Friday, Silverstein had six months longer - and likely longer than that - to complete his buildings, penalty-free, than he did on Wednesday.

Oh, and don't be looking for a 9/11 memorial dedication until well into the second term of Mayor Mike's successor.

Bloomberg can do something about this.

Yes, he's been deaf, dumb and blind on Ground Zero almost since he took office. It has essentially been his position that the heavy reconstruction lifting is properly to be done in Trenton and Albany - which technically is correct. But so what?

Mayors have no real power - absent their ability to inspire, cajole or bully.

Lawyers in Washington and Albany saved New York from the fiscal crises of the '70s - but Ed Koch's ebullient optimism convinced Gotham that the bitter medicine was worth swallowing. And so it was.

And Rudy Giuliani, through sheer force of will, saved the day two decades later.

Mike needs to focus on Ground Zero. He needs to poke and prod and holler and scold - to mount the world's bulliest pulpit and forge his legacy with, yes, intelligence, energy and imagination.

If not him, who?

If not now, when?

History looms, Mr. Mayor.

[email protected]
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #4690
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

I much prefer this spire design, it looks much cooler. I think it will look really good if they replace current spire with older spire design (on the corner of the tower)
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #4691
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05252008...ing_112505.htm
GROUND ZERO IS BECKONING

May 25, 2008 -- WHAT hath Mike wrought?

More than is immediately apparent, but much less than he would have liked.

But all is not lost.

His mayoralty maintains for 585 more days, enough time (though barely) to forge a legacy worthy of the intelligence, energy and imagination of Michael R. Bloomberg.

As it stands, he'll be remembered for rezoning reform (huh?), the congestion-pricing debacle and a naive reliance on Albany to keep its word regarding mayoral control of the public schools.

And, yes, he's been a competent keeper of the city's books.

But they don't build monuments to accountants - and, besides, posterity is beckoning from Ground Zero.

Chaos has morphed into toxic stasis downtown.

No one seriously believes that the current schedule of construction deadlines is remotely achievable, and things are only getting worse.

Just last week, the Port Authority (the bi-state blob responsible for rebuilding on the World Trade Center site) pushed back projected completion dates for two of developer Larry Silverstein's Ground Zero office buildings - allegedly to give Merrill Lynch time to consider moving into one of them.

Here's hoping.

Much more likely, though, is that Merrill is on a subsidy-scrounging expedition; it lost billions last year, it needs desperately to recapitalize - and some believe it barely can afford its current Battery Park City digs.

Bottom line?

On Friday, Silverstein had six months longer - and likely longer than that - to complete his buildings, penalty-free, than he did on Wednesday.

Oh, and don't be looking for a 9/11 memorial dedication until well into the second term of Mayor Mike's successor.

Bloomberg can do something about this.

Yes, he's been deaf, dumb and blind on Ground Zero almost since he took office. It has essentially been his position that the heavy reconstruction lifting is properly to be done in Trenton and Albany - which technically is correct. But so what?

Mayors have no real power - absent their ability to inspire, cajole or bully.

Lawyers in Washington and Albany saved New York from the fiscal crises of the '70s - but Ed Koch's ebullient optimism convinced Gotham that the bitter medicine was worth swallowing. And so it was.

And Rudy Giuliani, through sheer force of will, saved the day two decades later.

Mike needs to focus on Ground Zero. He needs to poke and prod and holler and scold - to mount the world's bulliest pulpit and forge his legacy with, yes, intelligence, energy and imagination.

If not him, who?

If not now, when?

History looms, Mr. Mayor.

[email protected]
Pathetic, Bloomberg's been one of the best NY mayors; its sad to see the nypost sum up all of his mayoralty on his handling of Ground Zero.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #4692
TamHavPolis

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post

I much prefer this spire design, it looks much cooler. I think it will look really good if they replace current spire with older spire design (on the corner of the tower)
I liked that design too - it was part of the designer's Stonehenge-esque concept where the sun would shine directly onto a memorial in the morning of 9/11 every year. However, with the current construction plans, I don't think the corner spire will work.

At least something's being built. That site was at a construction stand-still for 6 years in some of the most expensive real-estate in the world.
TamHavPolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #4693
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

yeah construction didn't start till 2005 but thats a whole other story. I could careless about the first design didn't like it then don't like it now. I love the design we got now, I just wish they would quit changing it.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #4694
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Hey kingsc you got the photo of former world trade centre, how come when I post those photos on the threads it gets banned?
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #4695
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

well this picture was already on SSC. And I don't know why they would get banned.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #4696
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

I mean like the moderators don't make the photo appear on the threads
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #4697
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamHavPolis View Post
I liked that design too - it was part of the designer's Stonehenge-esque concept where the sun would shine directly onto a memorial in the morning of 9/11 every year. However, with the current construction plans, I don't think the corner spire will work.

At least something's being built. That site was at a construction stand-still for 6 years in some of the most expensive real-estate in the world.
It wasn't the spire that I disliked, although I prefer the FT's, it was the empty space on the top quarter of the building.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #4698
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNYC View Post
It wasn't the spire that I disliked, although I prefer the FT's, it was the empty space on the top quarter of the building.
I meant that too, I mean the current body of FT + the old spire design on top. Could someone do the photo work and produce that design?
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #4699
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61128

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
I mean like the moderators don't make the photo appear on the threads
It's very simple, everybody can use a picture of them for an avatar because that has nothing to do with this thread.

It's prohibited to post pictures of them in this thread just to avoid useless discussions about them because this thread is only about the construction of the new tower and not about the old lowers and/or what happened on 9/11. It keeps this thread readable for anyone who is interested in the new tower.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #4700
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
Actually I thought the article was quite interesting. I had no idea about this historic wall. To think all that is partially being held by timber bracings! Neat...
I will only state the history of the ground structure about lower Manhattan one time and one time only, so if anyone misses this, I will not repeat it. When the island was first settled by the Dutch, the tip was actually thinner than it is right now. Streets today like Broad St, Peck Slip, and Old Slip used to be shipping channels. Where Water St stands today was once the bank of the East River hence its name. Over the years, it began to expand with the sediments from NY Bay on the both the ends of the Hudson and East Rivers. In the early 1800's, a landfill came over on the East River to form what is now South St Seaport, which is similar to BPC in the 1960's. When this occurred, the shipping channels were filed in and made into streets. Around the government buildings by city hall used to be a lake known Collect Pond, but was later on used a dump, which lead to it being filled in. Canal St at one point was an actual canal until it was filled up in the mid 1800's hence its name and with the streets aside from it having that name, which is similar to Wall St once having a giant wall by it. Minetta St in Greenwich Village used to be a brook in its name meaning "Devil Waters" before being filled in. All of this information was taken from my Forgotten NY book that I have just to clear that I didn't just make this up.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center