daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #47261
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

image hosted on flickr

Hoboken view By BartPhotography

image hosted on flickr

Brush strokes in sky By Yogi.Arora

image hosted on flickr

N Y Waterway By pmarella

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #47262
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed_tx View Post
it only took 47000 posts in this topic for someone to do that... LOL
Hilarious!
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #47263
DELL181
Skyscraper Capital

Likes (Received): 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
image hosted on flickr

Hoboken view By BartPhotography

image hosted on flickr

Brush strokes in sky By Yogi.Arora

image hosted on flickr

N Y Waterway By pmarella
Wow amazing 1st and 2nd shot!!!
DELL181 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #47264
beanhead4529
i like turtles

Likes (Received): 557

Taken by me yesterday:

image hosted on flickr

Downtown Glass by beanhead4529, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Towers by beanhead4529, on Flickr

my instagram!
beanhead4529 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #47265
Xoltage
Xoltage

Likes (Received): 595

Cool

Avus, little universe, LexISguy liked this post
Xoltage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #47266
little universe
A Living Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajosh821 View Post
One World Trade Center

by vebiiz

Wow...even outsized King Kong's!

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

Reducto liked this post

Last edited by little universe; June 13th, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #47267
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2376

Does this make a re-post?
If yes, then let's have a double post, for it it deserves so!

Stefan Georgi
image hosted on flickr
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #47268
tmb-ingville

Likes (Received): 54

-Does anybody know what is happening with the base cladding?

Last edited by kanye; June 13th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
tmb-ingville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #47269
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

One World Trade Center will Have Fastest Elevators in Western Hemisphere
http://highrisefacilities.com/one-wo...rn-hemisphere/

Quote:
With 104 stories towering 1,776 feet-tall, One World Trade Center is the tallest building in the Americas. The building will include the fastest elevators in the Western Hemisphere at 23 mph. Travel time from the lowest to the highest floor will be a mere 60 seconds.

Laid end to end, the steel cables used in the elevators span 198 miles, or approximately the distance from New York City to Baltimore. The elevators’ counterweights total more than one-million-pounds or comparable to the weight of about 250 cars.

The vertical-transportation systems in One World Trade Center are being built by ThyssenKrupp Elevator including 71 elevators and 11 escalators. Five of the elevators will have a capacity of 4000 pounds and run at 2,000 feet-per-minute. A crew of 90 ThyssenKrupp Elevator mechanics is scheduled to complete the project by 2014.

The infographic below lists some of the incredible stats involved in this monumental project:
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #47270
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

--- Soon there will be another cluster of bright lights from Tall Buildings in the far west side of Manhattan.... the Hudson Yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post

Does this make a re-post?
If yes, then let's have a double post, for it it deserves so!

Stefan Georgi
image hosted on flickr
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #47271
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoltage View Post
Cool
Except for the ugly car in front.

Otie liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #47272
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #47273
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
One World Trade Center will Have Fastest Elevators in Western Hemisphere
http://highrisefacilities.com/one-wo...rn-hemisphere/

Finally, a properly sourced info graphic. Best of all, they didn't even plagiarize my work.

Alright, the Wall Street Journal article has stepped it up a notch. They stole my newer model, and updated the graphic.

I present to you: Plagiarism at its finest!

Last edited by PMadFlyer; June 13th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #47274
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
I present to you: Plagiarism at its finest!
Go to the competition newspaper with the plagiarism story, I guess, they'll love it.

Dwotci liked this post
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #47275
PMadFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Go to the competition newspaper with the plagiarism story, I guess, they'll love it.
That's not even the best part. He updated it with another model by me. He had to actually go through the process of downloading my newer model, copy/pasting into the file with the rings, rendering it, and then post it again without giving credit.

Edit: another member the forums gave me a large it of help. I'll try to work with the guy.

Last edited by PMadFlyer; June 16th, 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #47276
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post

That's not even the best part. He updated it with another model by me. He had to actually go through the process of downloading my newer model, copy/pasting into the file with the rings, rendering it, and then post it again without giving credit.

The link to his website is here.
Alberto Cervantes
Special note. Mouse over to the bottom right of the paragraph to expose a very faint word bubble/circle, and then leave a kind message. Keep it classy, I would post if I could without looking bad, but you guys can feel free.
Did you upload your models to google warehouse? Can you set up your licensing settings for the models you put there?

My other question is - why? If you put all this energy into creating these valuable models and you're concerned about people using them without giving you credit, why do you make them publicly available? A 3d model is much harder to keep track of than a photo as it can be altered and rendered in million different ways.
Also - if it's an accurate model of the spire - it can be hard to tell whose model it is. There are several detailed 3d models that the architects and cgi companies created for this building. (Although in this case I'm sure you recognize your own)

If I were you I'd just put my models up to turbosquid so pple who need them at least pay a few hundred bucks.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #47277
PMadFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
Did you upload your models to google warehouse? Can you set up your licensing settings for the models you put there?

My other question is - why? If you put all this energy into creating these valuable models and you're concerned about people using them without giving you credit, why do you make them publicly available? A 3d model is much harder to keep track of than a photo as it can be altered and rendered in million different ways.
Also - if it's an accurate model of the spire - it can be hard to tell whose model it is. There are several detailed 3d models that the architects and cgi companies created for this building. (Although in this case I'm sure you recognize your own)

If I were you I'd just put my models up to turbosquid so pple who need them at least pay a few hundred bucks.
Because I want people like you guys to be able to mess around with it and figure out how they look. Besides, it's also against the T.O.S. and Privacy Policy of the warehouse for a third party to use the models without credit given. Besides that, it's the fact that the Wall Street Journal is stealing free material and passing it as their own to paying subscribers. And I know for a fact that it is my model. In the first version that was posted on WSJ, the spire was my V2 model, the one without a completed section that I left with three simple rectangles as a stand in for the structure in addition to the fact that he left the temporary platforms on it. Hell, I put half my renderings on YouTube in the Creative Commons, but regardless of use or means of acquirement, credit must be given. The other reason to be tough on plagiarism is the fact that if he's stealing my work, he's probably stealing others' work also. In response to the work I put in to the models being worth making a profit off of. I made them with the intent of sharing. There are however some models that will not be shared, or others that are in components. I'll try to use some in a YouTube project I'm working on. If you want your mind blown, the newest version of the spire is about 1/4 the file size and was created in two days of casual work. The secret is step by step phased modeling.
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #47278
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Peter, as much as I (and surely some others) respect your spirit of sharing your work, you can't expect everybody to follow the rules, there will always be a douche trying to steal another's work and claim it as theirs (particularly when the work is well executed). My recommendation is to take down all of your complete, heavy models and keep the ones that aren't that difficult to produce. I, in your case, would upload a simplified and/or primitive version of every model and add contact information to the description for those who are willing to get the whole pack. There I could have at least control of who is downloading my material.

Coddington liked this post
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #47279
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

Sorry to hear about people stealing your work, Pmad.

You should add, if you haven't already, bigger watermarks to your work.

image hosted on flickr

The Moon and WTC By Tim Drivas

image hosted on flickr

Sunrise By nyperson

image hosted on flickr

Lower Manhattan By John Kingman
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #47280
PMadFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Peter, as much as I (and surely some others) respect your spirit of sharing your work, you can't expect everybody to follow the rules, there will always be a douche trying to steal another's work and claim it as theirs (particularly when the work is well executed). My recommendation is to take down all of your complete, heavy models and keep the ones that aren't that difficult to produce. I, in your case, would upload a simplified and/or primitive version of every model and add contact information to the description for those who are willing to get the whole pack. There I could have at least control of who is downloading my material.
... Those are my basic models, well, comparatively. I still have the airport hangers, a plane, several Calatrava inspired bridges, and the Burj Kalifa that will never be uploaded. Besides, making a deal out of the thing with the WSJ spreads my name arround. I also did experiments with the Path Hall, before uploading a small section of the memorial above. Besides, I haven't uploaded the new stuff I've been working on because it's for use in the rendering project I have previously mentioned. Also, If I don't share things like the ESB corner model then modeling each brick is kind of ridiculous. In addition to modeling I do other stuff. I'd love to publish a piano piece or short story, but I only do sketches and simple fugue fragments to pass some time and experiment. The only significant photography project I have uploaded to flickr is a simulated tilt-shift image from a private plane of a football stadium. I assure you that I have things that I'll only show in renderings. Speaking of rendering, I've got a list of five second fly-overs I want to include in my channel ad/portfolio (order of Rendering/ re-rendering):
1-ESB Exterior Corner (Failed Render)
2-4WTC (Already Renderd)
3-Street Sign (Grand Finally)
4-3WTC (Bare steel and first cladding panels)
5-NYT Building (Extremely Heavy)
6-M1280D (Failed on frame 8 after 15min per frame)
7-"Fence" (a super detailed shed and fence)
8?-Most advanced animation (waiting for new Comp. dispersion, refraction, glass sign with the first two bars of my favorite musical piece BWV 552)

When I say heavy I mean HEAVY I upload a lot of the complex models in sections because I make them for the challenge and learning opportunity and then forget them. I do a lot of the work from 9:00PM to 10:00PM to allow me to fit them into my schedule.

I'm working on a universal logo that can go on my videos, images, literature (Should I finish anything), and music (fugues are hard to write). I'm down to medium turquoise as a background, blue for my name, and teal for intermediate details. those work as black on white with a black outline.

Last edited by PMadFlyer; June 14th, 2013 at 04:17 AM.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center