daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #4721
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
One day, Manhattan may not be an island.
Unless the Harlem River is filled in don't count on it.

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #4722
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Manhattan's size has expanded time and time again. In the far future, harbors may not even be important. With a growing population and compacted population, one day I bet long after we all die there will be some sort of massive land reclamation project for this area. It would be nice to see thousands of years into the future.
Where would Manhattan join the mainland? Are you seriously proposing closing off the mouth of the Hudson River? Where would all of its discharge be re-routed?
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #4723
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor650 View Post
what kind of features measures does it have so it can fend off possible future terrorist attacks?
It will have double pane windows. That should keep a wide body 767 flying at 500mph from crashing into it.
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #4724
shadyunltd

Likes (Received): 7

Well, unlike LA which will move North to meet up with Alaska (aww! No more Santa Monica Beach), I don't think that Long Island will leave the New York area.
shadyunltd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #4725
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
What is the blue 'marina' type low rise building to the left of the cranes? Looks pretty cool!
That is the Staten Island Ferry building. That is where you board the regular (and free!) ferry boats to New York City's smallest and furthest borough: Staten Island. Within a few minutes walk of there is the Skyscraper Museum, and also The Museum of the American Indian and the new Jewish Museum.
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #4726
Northerly

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks phillybud - that certainly explains why the view of the Twin Towers from the Staten Island Ferry always looked awesome in pictures and movies!
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #4727
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
I heard from a lower Manhattan website that the WTC and projects around it are costing over 22 billion dollars and it's likely the safest and strongest complex of skyscrapers ever. Each tower is costing well over a billion dollars with towers 1, 2 and 3 likely each over 2 billion dollars each and they say tower 1 could be over 3 billion. 7WTC was 700 million dollars. They have so many new features to remain safe and sturdy during a possible attack that you can't list them all. The towers set new standards for all skyscrapers. 7WTC was just a start.

You guys just can't accept that I totally win the debate about Manhattan possibly not being an island because all I said was "future" and "may" and as the plates of the earth move one day it won't be "here" or an island anymore. To add, anything could happen. Manhattan wasn't an island to begin with and it is clearly close to the Bronx, the only part of NYC connected to the motherland. A show about skyscrapers mentioned that Manhattan is connected to it by Manhattan Schist or some other rock.
Not only is your argument valid, it is highly probable. Most of these guys have probably never heard of continental drift. Millions of years from now, nothing on this planet will be what or where it is today. What is now NYC could wind up at the South Pole someday!!
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #4728
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
I will only state the history of the ground structure about lower Manhattan one time and one time only, so if anyone misses this, I will not repeat it. When the island was first settled by the Dutch, the tip was actually thinner than it is right now. Streets today like Broad St, Peck Slip, and Old Slip used to be shipping channels. Where Water St stands today was once the bank of the East River hence its name. Over the years, it began to expand with the sediments from NY Bay on the both the ends of the Hudson and East Rivers. In the early 1800's, a landfill came over on the East River to form what is now South St Seaport, which is similar to BPC in the 1960's. When this occurred, the shipping channels were filed in and made into streets. Around the government buildings by city hall used to be a lake known Collect Pond, but was later on used a dump, which lead to it being filled in. Canal St at one point was an actual canal until it was filled up in the mid 1800's hence its name and with the streets aside from it having that name, which is similar to Wall St once having a giant wall by it. Minetta St in Greenwich Village used to be a brook in its name meaning "Devil Waters" before being filled in. All of this information was taken from my Forgotten NY book that I have just to clear that I didn't just make this up.
Thank you Talb
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #4729
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
I heard from a lower Manhattan website that the WTC and projects around it are costing over 22 billion dollars and it's likely the safest and strongest complex of skyscrapers ever. Each tower is costing well over a billion dollars with towers 1, 2 and 3 likely each over 2 billion dollars each and they say tower 1 could be over 3 billion. 7WTC was 700 million dollars. They have so many new features to remain safe and sturdy during a possible attack that you can't list them all. The towers set new standards for all skyscrapers. 7WTC was just a start.

You guys just can't accept that I totally win the debate about Manhattan possibly not being an island because all I said was "future" and "may" and as the plates of the earth move one day it won't be "here" or an island anymore. To add, anything could happen. Manhattan wasn't an island to begin with and it is clearly close to the Bronx, the only part of NYC connected to the motherland. A show about skyscrapers mentioned that Manhattan is connected to it by Manhattan Schist or some other rock.
is it the city financing these exorbitant sums of money or some kind of firm?
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #4730
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Who cares what manhattan looks like a million years from now. None of us are going to be around to see it. What the hell does that have to do with the WTC, lets get back to topic thank you.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #4731
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Let's get back on topic, please.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #4732
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

by cmkalina from flickr
May 24, 2008
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmkalin...52796/sizes/l/

image hosted on flickr
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #4733
Taller & Taller
AKA Whynottaller

Likes (Received): 19

Is the northern part of the core going to be rectangular (as the southern one) or not?

image hosted on flickr

And, is there any (steel) perimetral column placed in the North side of the FT yet? (The pic above was taken last 10th April).
Taller & Taller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #4734
D.D.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

nice to see alot of movement there.
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #4735
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

The northern core will be square after it gets above the PATH tracks. THere is some steel placed on the north side, but you would never see it in that picture, it is under the temporary structure where the construction trailers are.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #4736
Reaperducer

Likes (Received): 7

Does anyone have a higher resolution version of this diagram?

I lost my original, and haven't been able to find a version on the internet that's large enough to be useful.
Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:36 AM   #4737
ramvid01

They seem to be working very late today. I spy a very large peice of steel waiting to be put in place.
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:04 AM   #4738
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Too bad, it seems like 8 Spruce Street will be blocking the WTC from certain angles, but the more the better:

Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:06 AM   #4739
ramvid01

Not from that angle. It only really blocks 7 WTC.
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:28 AM   #4740
RealThang
Registered Fanatic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
They seem to be working very late today. I spy a very large peice of steel waiting to be put in place.
It appears that a number of columns were shipped in today and they seemed to be preparing all of the south side columns for an extension to be attached. DCM Erectors should be busy tomorrow hauling them into place.

It does seem to be a trend almost since day one that the south side of the tower always gets the attention first and the other three sides follow. Any reason why? The only side with no obstructions?
RealThang no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center