daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #48401
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

LOL, imagine if the planet would be that small

NYCrulz, Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #48402
NYCrulz

Likes (Received): 2376

It'd be fun playing hide and seek!!!

Kanto liked this post
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #48403
EuropeanChancellor

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Yeah, the gravity would not be strong enough to maintain our athmosphere and we would all suffocate and die in agony
EuropeanChancellor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #48404
ManKo

Likes (Received): 0

Congratulations to New York, what an awesome tower for such an amazing city. I must admit that I dont like the Spiral a lot(Its the part that I like less from all the tower) but overall the tower fits perfectly in the whole skyline.

Thanks God that its not disproportionately big, becouse then it would just ruin one of the best skylines in the world.
ManKo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #48405
FinnishGuy1980

Likes (Received): 3

The Earth IS round
FinnishGuy1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #48406
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanChancellor View Post
Yeah, the gravity would not be strong enough to maintain our athmosphere and we would all suffocate and die in agony
Force of gravity isn't completely dependent of radius. A higher mass could balance the formula out. We could survive!

GM=g
r^2

Kanto, 4npower, NYCrulz, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by L.A.F.2.; July 13th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #48407
EuropeanChancellor

Likes (Received): 34

I was just assuming that lower radius would mean lower mass given the same density. But whatever, let's not make this into an elementary physics topic

L.A.F.2. liked this post
EuropeanChancellor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #48408
tmb-ingville

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
The Little Prince anyone?

Kanto liked this post
tmb-ingville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #48409
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Sorry to say it but your post is an ode to defeatism

This building needed to be taller than the Twins, to show strength and progress, I'd say it should have even tried to be the world's tallest for that very same reason. The fact that it is only as tall as the Twins and the second tallest 2WTC is even shorter than the Twins is a huge humiliation
It doesn't need to be. I wouldn't mind if it was, I'll say that. But were getting 4 supertall skyscraper's opposed to two. They all have wonderful unique design and it's a very interesting complex.

http://patrioticvoices.com/index.php
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #48410
Kanto
Roof height crusader

3 shorter skyscrapers are an unworthy replacement for 1 taller skyscraper. Height isn't the only important thing in skyscrapers, however the new complex' complete ignoring of height is a disgrace to the entire western world, in my opinion

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #48411
NYdude

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
It doesn't need to be. I wouldn't mind if it was, I'll say that. But were getting 4 supertall skyscraper's opposed to two. They all have wonderful unique design and it's a very interesting complex.
Totally agree with you!
NYdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #48412
NYdude

Likes (Received): 38

This complex will look amazing when completed. It already looks amazing and it's only half completed. I see the skyline at least once per week, and this tower just looks massive in the skyline. All of these towers will have a big mark on the skyline, so basically, in other words, none of these buildings are "hiding" in between others. This complex is better than previous proposals, and as a New Yorker, I am very happy with this new WTC complex. Like previously stated by others, height isn't everything, but the architecture is, and the designs of these towers are breathtaking. Just my opinion of course.
NYdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #48413
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1555

When are we going to finally get some pictures on this forum from inside 1WTC's lobby?
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #48414
wicca13
Western

Likes (Received): 9493

Quote:
3 shorter skyscrapers are an unworthy replacement for 1 taller skyscraper. Height isn't the only important thing in skyscrapers, however the new complex' complete ignoring of height is a disgrace to the entire western world, in my opinion
Oh, please, come on... Disgrace to me is to build a gigantic building but ugly at the same time, which is not the case in NY. In that case I can ensure you that the real disgrace is on the side of the eastern hemisphere. People don't preserve buildings only because of their height, but because of their beauty.
wicca13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #48415
Zaanstad_1987
Walking Dutchman

Likes (Received): 30

In my opinion the complex and future WTC2 and 3 have the perfect heights; because they dominate the skyline. Although it would've been a shame if the complex wasn't that prominent. Now there's something back were once was a big hole made by lowlife.

In don't remember it for sure but in 2002 I think they spoke about a large memorial without any rebuilt of offices.

The buildings will be at there 'top' when they are in use! Seeing activity in the complex and around instead of building equipment and police points. But i'm afraid that will cost some years from now... maybe 2021???
Zaanstad_1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #48416
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Yes, what they're building is better than building nothing at all, however this site deserves far more. I'm glad that they're rebuilding the office space, however the bad thing is that it seems the PA and Larry care only about office space, nothing more. This site is an icon, known in the entire world, it deserves the best, not just some office buildings lacking any kind of vision. Don't get me wrong, the design of each and every of these buildings is a masterpiece, however the height is medicore at best in the current day and age and the fact that the new complex is actually shorter than the old one is a humiliation in my opinion

I like the new WTC buildings, why else would I be here, however this does not mean that I will close my eyes at the sight of the gigantic ammount of unused, wasted potential, this site had. These are skyscrapers, and skyscrapers with a vision need both design and height. These buildings have design, but sadly they lack visionary height. That's the reason why I view this complex as a beautiful one, but in the end a visionless one.
Old July 14th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #48417
Groningen NL

Likes (Received): 155

Well said, Kanto. I like most of the new WTC towers, but none of them have the 'WoW factor'. Sure, they are pretty tall and they do stand out, but's thats because of the fact Manhattan doesn't have many supertalls. (things are changing now, but still). On a world scale, and that's the way we should look at it imo, these tower don't stand out at all. Not in terms of hight, in term of design. Sure 400 meter is still a lot, and yes they are more or less as tall as the old WTC, but the Twin Towers were built in the 70s. The Twin Towers were a symbol of economic power and engineering. I don't think the new complex comes close to something like that. So, for me the WTC will be on nice office cluster, and thus a wasted chance to put the US on the map once again.

Kanto, AlePa2013 liked this post
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #48418
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...count=1&ref=nf

Highcliff, Lucaventure liked this post
Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #48419
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

The height may be lacking in comparison to supertall projects in other parts of the world, but it isn't in comparison to the other buildings in Manhattan and that's the exact reason for the height the new WTC towers were finally designed with, they fit into the skyline and enhance it, rather than overly dominating it and subjecting all other buildings around them.

mCx2 liked this post
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #48420
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

I think all of us skyscraper and architecture enthusiast wish we had something taller and more creative here, but for one, this complex was designed in the early 2000s and I'm sure all of us can remember that at the time a 400m (540 with the mast) was pretty tall anywhere in the world, incuding Asia and I'm pretty sure if it was designed today we would see more impressive heights.
As far as the complex as a whole I'm quite happy with it, again it could be better but, if you take into account how all the towers (which individually are well designed in my opinion) relate to each other along with the trasnportation hub, which even today is going to be a masterpiece anywhere in the world, the not so talked about memorial which up close looks quite stunning and a yet to to built/designed Frank Ghery perfomance space. In the end this will end up being one of the best designed, complex anywhere in the world. We should have a verdict sometime in 2017/2018, minus 2WTC (tho i hope construction will start by then) so in the end this is a much better complex than the old, no question about it. As far as height and creativity, other towers in NYC as picking up the slack so I don't see how NY is in anyway behind some of those cities in Asia.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center