daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #48421
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

The WTC is not the end of the road for New York, neither heightwise or designwise. Better, taller towers are rising and will continue to rise.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #48422
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

To say this building is a disgrace is a blatant dis-respect to all the hard working construction workers who bought the WTC site back. Please use better choice of words next time.

To get things back on topic.....

image hosted on flickr

NEW YORK by BoazImages, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Skyline by Nanak26, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by gvsuresh, on Flickr

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #48423
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Yes, what they're building is better than building nothing at all, however this site deserves far more. I'm glad that they're rebuilding the office space, however the bad thing is that it seems the PA and Larry care only about office space, nothing more. This site is an icon, known in the entire world, it deserves the best, not just some office buildings lacking any kind of vision. Don't get me wrong, the design of each and every of these buildings is a masterpiece, however the height is medicore at best in the current day and age and the fact that the new complex is actually shorter than the old one is a humiliation in my opinion

I like the new WTC buildings, why else would I be here, however this does not mean that I will close my eyes at the sight of the gigantic ammount of unused, wasted potential, this site had. These are skyscrapers, and skyscrapers with a vision need both design and height. These buildings have design, but sadly they lack visionary height. That's the reason why I view this complex as a beautiful one, but in the end a visionless one.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. From an iconic and business stand point. The four towers have perfect heights. They blend well with the skyline and pay excellent homage to their predecessors. From a business standpoint, think of the amount of office space Larry's gonna need to fill if he builds these towers lets say to be around 2000 feet?

Height isn't everything. I remember the time when they didn't want to build anything at this site because of fear of another 911. We've come a long way.

http://patrioticvoices.com/index.php
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #48424
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

People quickly forget the conditions under which this design was made: a poisonous mixture of paranoia, politics, mismanagement, and hysterical mourning. It's easy to consider this as nearly the best that they could do. It's a stolid, glass, abstracted obelisk, and as such it's several things: it's a monumental marker, a tribute to the old towers, and most importantly, a highly potent symbol with subjective meaning. I think it's almost perfectly fitting for this site and the times in which it was built.

Consider the historical context. America always looked to classical Greece and Rome as a model for its values. For example, Washington was seen as an American Cincinnatus (and look at what sort of structure Americans erected to honor him). So the obelisk has become a symbol of our democracy, or at least our seat of government, which 1WTC continues with the 1776' symbolism. Ironically, the Romans originally seized obelisks from Egypt and used them as symbols of imperial conquest and triumph. But even this symbolic meaning applies to 1WTC. The destruction of the original WTC was used to precipitate war and occupation of two countries. 1WTC also marks America's re-assertion of potency through, arguably imperial, conquest. And of course the Egyptians marked areas of sacred burial with obelisks, which 1WTC clearly does as well.

So while some people see a too short, too bland tower, I see the whole sweep of Western civilization, all united in one thoroughly modern form. Quite impressive if you ask me.

The interesting thing about the criticism of 1WTC is that it inevitably follows a certain pattern: complaints about height and design, and comparisons to other skyscrapers. I interpret the complaints about height and design as mainly a concern that the tower doesn't symbolize American potency "enough." And comparisons to other skyscrapers often lead directly to China. So 1WTC may also symbolize fears, or at least premonitions, of America's declining political and economic influence in the world.

We all know which country is securing all those mineral and oil contracts in Afghanistan and Iraq.

But at the end of the day, it's an office building. Be thankful it doesn't look like this:

mCx2, Tondar, Eric Offereins, Highcliff liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #48425
ajosh821
#TeamFairview

Likes (Received): 7060

One WTC (Reflection from 4WTC)

by nycvid

Rockmont, Highcliff liked this post
ajosh821 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #48426
ajosh821
#TeamFairview

Likes (Received): 7060

One WTC

by alegb21

Rockmont, Highcliff liked this post
ajosh821 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #48427
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

But at the end of the day, it's an office building. Be thankful it doesn't look like this:

[/QUOTE]

You've got that right!

wtcforever liked this post
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #48428
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
When will the last remaining crane be brought down?
sometime in august
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #48429
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post

You've got that right![/QUOTE]man! that is ugly!
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #48430
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post

Too many tapered tops .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #48431
NYCrulz

Likes (Received): 2377

Keith Michael

image hosted on flickr

Joel Raskin

image hosted on flickr

I feel good because I...

image hosted on flickr

GUYS! Look at the beacon!!! It's probably the best lighting so far!!!

Mike Levine

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

sergiomazzi, Kanto, Highcliff, Swiddle liked this post
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #48432
CNTower246810
Call me TKD

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
GUYS! Look at the beacon!!! It's probably the best lighting so far!!!
You do realize that's not real? It's just a photoshop of the light/rays at the bottom left of the picture, which also looks partially unreal. If it was real, it would also be positioned slightly lower then where it is placed on the photoshop, not where the lightning rod is.

NYCrulz liked this post
CNTower246810 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #48433
Post775
Holi

Likes (Received): 475

Stadiums of CHILE

Fotos Random por Post775 (Actualizadas 26/06/2013)

Censo Latinscrapers 2013
Post775 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #48434
NYCrulz

Likes (Received): 2377

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNTower246810 View Post
You do realize that's not real? It's just a photoshop of the light/rays at the bottom left of the picture, which also looks partially unreal. If it was real, it would also be positioned slightly lower then where it is placed on the photoshop, not where the lightning rod is.

Damn, I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info, man.

Imagine if it were lit like that in real!!!

Edit : yeah, I just made that the light should be positioned a wee bit lower....
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #48435
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
To say this building is a disgrace is a blatant dis-respect to all the hard working construction workers who bought the WTC site back. Please use better choice of words next time.

To get things back on topic.....

image hosted on flickr

NEW YORK by BoazImages, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Skyline by Nanak26, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by gvsuresh, on Flickr
My question to you is, where is the point where dissapointment of defficiancies outweights appreciation that at least something is being built. In my opinion the height of this building, and especially the heights of the other WTC buildings have crossed this point

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #48436
CNTower246810
Call me TKD

Likes (Received): 678

Kanto, I know you don't know me, but can you please just stop the height discussion? Just appreciate that something is being built and end the height discussion, Now! I'm not trying to be rude, but it's reached a certain level of annoyance.

I for one think this building has a marvelous design which suits it's height, and am very sure many would agree with me. Sure it has had it's redesigns here and there, but people learn to accept change

Last edited by CNTower246810; July 14th, 2013 at 01:45 PM.
CNTower246810 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #48437
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28321

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozenBDJ View Post
Too many tapered tops .
What is wrong with tapered tops? I prefer them over the antenna's anytime.

sergiomazzi liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #48438
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

None, just not that many .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #48439
skyslimit
panoriccio

Likes (Received): 23

Could someone tell me if WTC1 antenna is going to be clad as shown in renderings?
Need to complete cityscape of NYC!
skyslimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #48440
Skyscrapercitirocks
8anned

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
.... however the height is medicore at best in the current day and age and the fact that the new complex is actually shorter than the old one is a humiliation in my opinion

I like the new WTC buildings, why else would I be here, however this does not mean that I will close my eyes at the sight of the gigantic ammount of unused, wasted potential, this site had. These are skyscrapers, and skyscrapers with a vision need both design and height. These buildings have design, but sadly they lack visionary height. That's the reason why I view this complex as a beautiful one, but in the end a visionless one.

I completely agree with you. If we consider that the building was designed a decade back and back then the height was overwhelming meant no excuse. They have completely missed the opportunity because this held the greatest potential. I don't think any time soon, there will be any serious proposal that will come close to the tallest mark.
If height was not everything, I don't think Dubai would be what it is. Dubai is just and just because of its record breaking skyscrapers..
Height don't mean everything but it definitely means more than everything else...
I am disappointed they've not done their best.

Steven Wright

Kanto liked this post
Skyscrapercitirocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center