daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 20th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #48641
dean87
kedahsejahtera
 
dean87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: lgk_aor_kul
Posts: 7,724
Likes (Received): 5275

wow....so fast...btw, when the tower supposed to be completed?
__________________
-sfd-
dean87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #48642
Informative
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 100
Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissingengland View Post
I've now seen lots and lots of photos of 1WTC, and in the best of them it looks: big. And tall. But there is no rhapsodic moment. In less contrived photos it looks embarrassing. And what is that hideous steeple of rusting junk on the top??

It's bizarrely awful.

With the Shard, as soon as you see it, from any angle, anywhere, or in any photo: the heart leaps. And I travel all over the world and I've seen LOTS of new towers.

Interestingly, a friend of mine said the 1WTC looks like it wanted to be the Shard until about halfway up, then they ran out of conviction, and just finished it off with any old crap.

But do not be sad, New Yorkers. You still have many of THE greatest skyscrapers on earth. Just not this one.

You are by all means entitled to your own opinion as you have conveyed through the thread, there is no doubt about that. In my opinion however your exaggerated tone does not support your opinion well and contradicts your later messages that you post. I do not believe you can compare ONE WTC to the Shard, both are beautiful pieces of architecture in my opinion, however both are also in completely different areas and with different symbolisms and motives between the two.

It seems like you are upset with something and you have an agenda which is why you feel so strongly in making your point, also why you become more aggravated in your posts in this thread. I suggest to enjoy what you like and leave other people's opinions out of the question. I would also suggest waiting until the complex has finished as ONE WTC still has a fair bit to be done before it is 100% finalised. When the entire site is complex, regardless of the time it will take I'm sure your opinion may change.

I enjoy ONE WTC because of it's subtle features, many of which are similar to the original design. When you look at the building directly straight on from all four faces it appears as though it is the same width and height as the original towers, however the more you turn around the building it's fašade appears to tapper and become smaller around the sides, a simple but unique touch. It's highly reflective lines on the edges of the building, the highly reflective and ever changing glass and the glistening and unique lobby fašade is very elegant, bold and strong.

I'll finish there because I don't want to write an essay, however you are entitled to your opinion you should respect others, especially when you know that this thread is dedicated to people who love this building. Respect us and we will respect you.
__________________

pnapp1, Kanto liked this post
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #48643
sbarn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC & Bay Area
Posts: 1,222
Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissingengland View Post
I think Americans are - in particular - attached to this building and find it hard to admit that its a bit crap because of the enormous emotional significance of this site, thanks to 9/11. And that I understand (as much as I can, as a Brit).

But, sadly - in my opinion - that doesn't detract from the fact that it IS a grave disappointment.
Maybe you should see the building in person before you continue to post negatively about it. I agree the design isn't overwhelmingly creative. However in person, the building is massive. Close up its hard to take in the scale, however from a distance it towers above everything around it - making it have quite a powerful presence among the skyline.

You're obviously welcome to have your own opinion, however you shouldn't criticize others with a differing view as "bias Americans".
__________________

Kanto liked this post
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #48644
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech
 
L.A.F.2.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,406
Likes (Received): 5311

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean87 View Post
wow....so fast...btw, when the tower supposed to be completed?
2014.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #48645
eMKay
Registered User
 
eMKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,585
Likes (Received): 224

Ugh. Goddamn children bickering in here recently (heads over to SkyscraperPage to get 1wtc updates) .
__________________
BASEBALL America's pastime since 1791, Washington Nationals (Senators) est: 1901, Buffalo Bisons est: 1879
FOOTBALL Buffalo Bills est: 1960
SOCCER DC United est: 1995, Buffalo FC est: 2009
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #48646
Otie
Researcher
 
Otie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,118
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamxeddiex View Post
The majority of this page is filled with nonsense, and I believe there is a thread for all of that... Supertalls World Cup
I miss those old days when the conversation was much more taintless and interesting to follow, where the usual posters contributed in a such different way to the more recent ones. You know who I am refering to. (spectre000, DinoVabec, former ZenSteelDude, STR, RKOwens, Nomadd22, meh_cd, oli83). These guys shared a real spirit of enthusiasm that pushed the thread into the special category. I look now and see how this space has become into a complete inmature playground, where newcomers had flooded it with nonsense talk and vanished the enthusiasm once existed.

For the grown ups seeking a more serene, elemental conversation, please visit the WNY thread.
__________________

Last edited by Otie; July 20th, 2013 at 06:19 AM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #48647
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!
 
pnapp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: LI, New York
Posts: 302
Likes (Received): 353

This building really shouldn't just be celebrated or criticized for its looks or height alone. That seems to be the only thing that maters around here. Not many take into consideration the structural engineering part and that's what really maters most.

There's a reason this tower cost 4+ billion to build... first and foremost... safety. Anyone that says this building is a disgrace is a sham and knows nothing about architecture. It's not just about how tall it is. It's not just about what it looks like. First and foremost, it's about safety and this tower rewrote the book! That's what's most impressive to me about One World Trade Center!
__________________

sergiomazzi liked this post

Last edited by pnapp1; July 20th, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
pnapp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #48648
Shakkur98
Registered User
 
Shakkur98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Posts: 293
Likes (Received): 271

Does anybody know that will 1wtc have a number symbol like 4wtc
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #48649
justinong
Registered User
 
justinong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 87
Likes (Received): 44

I suppose that the pointless bickering is inevitable on some threads since the building is now essentially visually complete, so people are more willing to pass their judgment as opposed to during construction, where most people would rather hold their opinions to themselves until further notice. Regardless, first time poster on this thread from Los Angeles metro, going to visit the site in late August! Excited to witness this building in person!!

Meanwhile some pictures I took from late August last year for comparison; this thing has come a long way!



__________________

sergiomazzi liked this post

Last edited by justinong; July 20th, 2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: add pics
justinong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #48650
CCs77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,115
Likes (Received): 2445

image hosted on flickr

Panoramic from Top of the Rock por johnsmurf, en Flickr
__________________

sergiomazzi liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #48651
NYCrulz
Registered User
 
NYCrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: turku
Posts: 792
Likes (Received): 2400

JTheartsPics

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr
__________________
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #48652
Eric Offereins
The only way is up
 
Eric Offereins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 69,146
Likes (Received): 29141

In every pic that shows 1WTC shining it strikes me how bad that antenna looks on top.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #48653
NYCrulz
Registered User
 
NYCrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: turku
Posts: 792
Likes (Received): 2400

John McNally
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
__________________

NateArchibald, Kanto liked this post

Last edited by NYCrulz; July 20th, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #48654
getroy
Registered User
 
getroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 881
Likes (Received): 2590

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmarella/9323674263/


http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9319011878/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_100/9306791091/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jthompsonpics/9322245541/
__________________

sergiomazzi, Swiddle liked this post
getroy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #48655
NateArchibald
Empire State of Mind
 
NateArchibald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Taubate SP / Sao Paulo SP / Windham NH
Posts: 128
Likes (Received): 132




__________________

sergiomazzi liked this post
NateArchibald no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #48656
Shakkur98
Registered User
 
Shakkur98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Posts: 293
Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
One World Trade Center will not and does not need a number. It's One World Trade Center! Silverstein's other towers will(2-3).
Maybe they can make the glass fins into a giant 1 on one of the faces of the base like 7wtc does on its base

__________________

Joshua Dodd liked this post

Last edited by Shakkur98; July 20th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #48657
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech
 
L.A.F.2.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,406
Likes (Received): 5311

At 48,700: Not to mention they STILL are one of a kind. 1LP and Al Kazim are postmodern, and were only inspired by such legends.
__________________

Kanto liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #48658
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx
 
Hudson11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Empire State
Posts: 9,700
Likes (Received): 23010

A few more temporary ring platforms to go. After that will probably be the installation of guy wires and the removal of the second crane.

Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #48659
bonquiqui
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Casablanca
Posts: 94
Likes (Received): 20

stunning building the cladding is top notch and as blue as a clean calm sea I am in love
bonquiqui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #48660
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc
 
wtcforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St.petersburg,Florida
Posts: 768
Likes (Received): 684

platforms coming off fast!
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium